• Computers
  • Printers - Laser or Inkjet? (p.2)
2017/03/01 03:56:11
abacab
I recently got a HP multi-function b&w laserjet with wireless connectivity.  It is nice to be able to locate the printer anywhere instead of a USB cable length from the CPU.  Also, any device can print to it now.  It even has wifi direct so that phones and tablets can print as well.

I have an old faithful HP Color Deskjet that has held up well for 15+ years, but the price of new ink cartridges is ridiculous.  This new printer was only about $50 more than another set of ink cartridges.

If you shop around this can be had for as low as $147.99 USD ...

HP LaserJet Pro MFP M130fw
http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-laserjet-pro-mfp-m130fw
2017/03/01 04:45:39
JonD
abacab
HP LaserJet Pro MFP M130fw
http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-laserjet-pro-mfp-m130fw

+1

The multi-function models are great -- I have a similar unit to the one above, only by Brother. It's real handy having an all-in-one scanner and copier, and has saved me countless trips to the office supply store just to run off a couple of copies or scan something.
2017/03/01 06:20:14
Fog
I use a very very old HP 1100 laserjet thats easily 12+ years old.. it don't even have USB , but you can get a thing of ebay to make it into a usb port.

toners for it seem to last forever and are easy enough to get refilled..

noticed you used the £ sign.. I gave a few laser printers away years ago on freecycle.. as people in offices used to chuck em, and if you took em apart got rid of the paper jam..most of em were fine

2017/03/01 06:45:43
TheSteven
I have an old HP 2600 all in one inkjet.
While it worked fine, if I can avoid it, I'll never buy another HP inkjet printer.
If one of the cartridges (black / color) is perceived to be out of ink it won't print, scan or fax.
Ink runs at $60 a cartridge and once a cartridge is empty the printer stores* it's ID so if you have it refilled the printer won't recognize it as usable. *I've read it stores the last 3 working ID's for each cartridge.
I don't know if the newer models behave this way but at this point I don't care.

If you've got kids or have to print stuff for work it's easy to burn through cartridges and end up spend $800+ a year in ink supplies. I'm debating on either going laser or with an Epson Ink Tank...
2017/03/01 06:52:45
TheSteven
Fog
I use a very very old HP 1100 laserjet thats easily 12+ years old.. it don't even have USB , but you can get a thing of ebay to make it into a usb port.

toners for it seem to last forever and are easy enough to get refilled..

noticed you used the £ sign.. I gave a few laser printers away years ago on freecycle.. as people in offices used to chuck em, and if you took em apart got rid of the paper jam..most of em were fine

Those HP 1100's were/are workhorses. A guy I worked for got it new and still uses it. He's had it serviced a couple times but it's still chuggin.
2017/03/01 09:19:32
mudgel
When it comes to comparing colour laser with colour inkjet I say that the inkjet are cheaper to run and buy.

It all depends if you can afford the space that 2 printers take.

Monochrome printing = laser is more economical

Colour printing = inkjet is mor economical

If you can only have one machine. Your budget should determine the outcome. Inkjet is cheaper.
2017/03/01 15:24:16
fireberd
Some newer HP inkjets will accept non new HP cartridges.  It will give you a "warning" that its not an HP cartridge but that's all.  I've tried non OEM cartridges (several brands) on a different printer, not my current one, and they were less expensive but they had less ink and some worked OK and some didn't. I bought some "refilled" cartridges one time and two of them leaked ink internally in the printer and was a mess.  I now avoid all the hassles or potential hassles and just bite the bullet and buy OEM.
2017/03/01 15:35:21
abacab
Another downside to inkjet is when you use them infrequently.  The cartridges can dry up between uses.  This makes the cost per copy a bit on the high side, due to cartridge replacement costs.

I have been moving to a paperless lifestyle these past few years, mostly printing to PDF, except where I absolutely need a hard copy.

This influenced my decision overall to move to b&w laser printing.  If I need color, I'll just put a PDF on a thumb drive and visit the local copy shop.  Still cheaper
2017/06/05 08:44:26
robertjones4849
I suggest you to go and check the hp inkjet and later printer in bestbuy.com. normally you have to spent minimum 300 to 400 for a good laser color printer. I think hp officejet pro 6968 wireless color and all in one printer is the best choice. Also it comes under 150 dollars.
2017/06/05 09:06:24
jb101
Thank you everybody for your input.

I ended up buying an HP Officejet Pro 8728.  

It appears that modern inkjets can run even more cheaply than lasers, and I am very pleased with it.

Thanks again, everybody, for your help.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account