• Computers
  • Printers - Laser or Inkjet? (p.3)
2017/06/05 13:52:49
Kev999
I bought an HP Laserjet 6L in 1997. I'm still using it now.
2017/06/05 17:23:03
drewfx1
Be aware that Brother lasers (and likely other brands) sometimes "helpfully" report that you're low or out of toner - sometimes to the point of requiring intervention to print - when they really still have like 20% left.

You can do a search online to learn if it occurs and how to address it for a given printer, and also how to know when you really are out of toner.
2017/06/06 15:23:36
JonD
drewfx1
Be aware that Brother lasers (and likely other brands) sometimes "helpfully" report that you're low or out of toner - sometimes to the point of requiring intervention to print - when they really still have like 20% left.

That's from the bundled printer management utility, which I've never installed with any of the 3 Brother lasers I've owned in the last 15 yrs. 

The only way I know toner is low is when it starts fading on the printed page.  Then I remove the cartridge, shake it back and forth (To evenly distribute the toner inside) and I get another couple months.  Rinse and repeat until the cartridge is empty.
2017/06/06 15:56:39
Mesh
I'm also looking for a monochrome all in one laser jet printer for our home school.

Any suggestions for an economical/dependable/low cost ink replacement printer? 

2017/06/06 17:16:35
drewfx1
JonD
drewfx1

That's from the bundled printer management utility, which I've never installed with any of the 3 Brother lasers I've owned in the last 15 yrs. 

The only way I know toner is low is when it starts fading on the printed page.  Then I remove the cartridge, shake it back and forth (To evenly distribute the toner inside) and I get another couple months.  Rinse and repeat until the cartridge is empty.

On ours it's built into the printer itself. 
2017/06/06 17:30:37
abacab
Mesh
I'm also looking for a monochrome all in one laser jet printer for our home school.

Just got this one a few months ago to replace an aging HP Deskjet.  So far, so good.  Love the wireless printing.
http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-laserjet-pro-mfp-m130fw?jumpid=Printers_Finder_PDP

It's running $167.99 on Amazon Prime right now, a bit less than list price.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LBWELFK
2017/06/06 19:04:33
Mesh
abacab
Mesh

Just got this one a few months ago to replace an aging HP Deskjet.  So far, so good.  Love the wireless printing.
http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-laserjet-pro-mfp-m130fw?jumpid=Printers_Finder_PDP

How does it fare in toner replacement? (that's been my Achilles heel using inkjet printers) 
2017/06/06 20:07:35
abacab
Mesh
abacab
Mesh

How does it fare in toner replacement? (that's been my Achilles heel using inkjet printers) 

Haven't had to go there yet.  Only printed about 50 pages in the last 4 months.  The starter toner should last me a good while. 

If it's anything like the HP Laserjets we used at the office, just shake the cartridge a bit if you see any streaks in the print quality, and get some more out of it.

My biggest issue with ink cartridges was due to my low volume print habits.  They would frequently dry up between uses. 

At least the toner will be there when I need it!  The standard HP 17A OEM replacement cartridge is rated at ~ 1600 pages.  $56.49 at Amazon Prime.

And the imaging drum should last about 12,000 pages.  HP 19A is the replacement, and costs about the same as toner.
2017/06/07 01:48:06
mettelus
The HP MFP models are nice (not sure what is currently out there), but HP also makes a killing on cartridges, so do not buy from them. As Drew mentioned, they have a chip on them that is intentionally burnt out at the "low toner" mark, which can be bypassed, but is a PITA should you decide to refill yourself (I would not recommend this anyway). Refillers replace that chip when they refill toner.

If you search for a HP cartridge, find its official name and then google it... many vendors sell refilled "X model replacements" for roughly 20% of what HP charges. I think I got mine from Cartridge America. Before buying something research the model, and the replacement cartridge costs from such a vendor.

I have had a Laserjet M1217nfw MFP for 6 years, and spent a couple cartridges thus far on probably 15 reams of paper (just installed the third cartridge). HP has carried the "industry standard" in printers for a long time now, so that brand is best to look at first (just don't sign up for all the hype). Inkjets can also not "just sit" since the ink dries out even if not used (or used to), which is a terrible waste of money.

The feature I appreciate most with it is that it prints the first page in about 5 seconds, and is like 20 pages per minute after that. I thought the glow rod would go on it because of that feature, but it is still kicking. The flatbed capability came through in an unthought of way for me last year... I scanned chunks of full sized (18" x 24") blue prints I could not replace and pieced them together in Photoshop and worked like a charm. Can print from a cell to it, yada, yada, so is pretty feature rich for the low cost/longevity of it.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account