• Computers
  • Intel planning 12 Core i9 Processor to challenge AMD Ryzen (p.2)
2017/05/30 19:13:20
interpolated
I've just watched a couple of computech videos on Youtube and well technology things are going be interesting.  AMD Threadripper as you know, 16-cores (32 threads), 64-PCI E lanes and two 8-pin 12V connections to run it on a secret-ish ASUS motherboard. 

The Intel have an 18-core (36 thread) processor in the making. Essentially though what was said was, if you want more PCI lanes you're going to need good cooling and PSU. For musicians though, unless you are running lots of lanes and processes it makes no sense in investing the maximum amount of cores.
2017/05/30 20:02:17
vladasyn
I need lanes because I use SSDs for my software synths, samplers and Kontakt libraries. I keep running out of space and all my SATA already taken, and my computer only 3 months old. I bought 7770K in January. I wish I waited for Skylake E and get all the lanes it can offer- I could connect more SSDs. 
2017/06/03 11:16:44
Jim Roseberry
FWIW, With 40 PCIe lanes (Intel X99 chipset), we have clients pulling up to 4000 stereo voices of disk-streaming polyphony (using Kontakt, etc).
Achieved via multiple SSDs (SATA, m.2 Ultra, PCIe x4)

Threadripper from AMD will have 64 PCIe lanes.  

2017/06/03 12:58:09
interpolated
To achieve the best out of Threadripper, you will need a solid and steady motherboard and chipset. As current Ryzen implementation have proven not every motherboard manufacturer whether it be UEFI software/firmware or at a component level has worked out well.

I will be going Team Blue next time around with at least a 7th generation i7.

Then again the proof will be in the pudding.
2017/06/03 16:03:18
Jim Roseberry
If AMD gives motherboard developers ample time, they'll release reasonably solid motherboards.
ie: Gigabyte, Asus, and ASRock all have rock-solid socket 1151 and socket 2011-3 releases.
The Ryzen release was probably (motherboard wise) the most flaky launch I've seen in ~30 years.

BTW, I hope Threadripper lives up to the hype.
Competition will bring out the best in both AMD and Intel.
As a by-product, we all benefit (greater speed/capability... and lower cost).

2017/06/03 16:06:21
Jim Roseberry
vladasyn
I need lanes because I use SSDs for my software synths, samplers and Kontakt libraries. I keep running out of space and all my SATA already taken, and my computer only 3 months old. I bought 7770K in January. I wish I waited for Skylake E and get all the lanes it can offer- I could connect more SSDs. 

Lots of Z170/Z270 motherboards have just six SATA ports.
Does your motherboard have two m.2 slots?
If so, you can install one m.2 Ultra PCIe x4 SSD (which would yield 3200+ MB/Sec)... and a standard m.2 drive that would be the same speed as a 2.5" SATA SSD.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account