2017/05/27 06:46:24
kawika
I'm converting garage into studio/ going with Antelope Goliath interface and Sonar. Any suggestions on a computer? I'm not knowledgeable to do too much assembling. Is there one out there good to go? I usually just do live recording...some midi things.

thanks,

David
2017/05/27 08:06:40
Sanderxpander
I have home built all of my computers for twenty years now, it's not that difficult, especially not nowadays. But if you're uncomfortable with that and want to be fuss free I would recommend contacting someone like Jim Roseberry from this forum who builds custom DAW PCs. You might spend a little bit more than on an off-the-shelf deal but you can discuss your needs in person with someone who understands and you'll get a "clean" system tweaked in all the right places.

Off-the-shelf can be hit or miss for DAW stuff.
2017/05/27 09:22:19
dlesaux
Jim is the man! Check out his website. His PC builds are worth every cent. Now when I'm in the studio, I don't even think of my computer anymore, it just works!
2017/05/28 05:50:08
kawika
Wow.... I shall check him out. Thanks guys!
2017/05/28 12:48:06
Steve_Karl
dlesaux
Jim is the man! Check out his website. His PC builds are worth every cent. Now when I'm in the studio, I don't even think of my computer anymore, it just works!

I second that. His PCs are great.
2017/05/28 14:30:32
AT
Jim is great, and there are other PC DAW builders.  That is the best, safest route.  Also the most expensive, but not in time because Jim etc. install your software/hardware and make sure everything is running together.

If you are competent with hard/software, you can buy and off-he-shelf HP etc Desktop and throw in a 2nd hard drive and 2-fer video card and be set for a computer.  And today, a lot of software practically installs itself (see SONAR/NI) and interfaces are pretty easy. 
2017/05/28 14:48:15
Cactus Music
I actually didn't find custom DAW prices to be any more than what you'd pay if you bought those parts yourself and pay yourself $15 per hour to build it. They are more money than an off the self because they are built with better parts. 

2017/05/28 16:51:47
AT
^  Custom-made DAWs can also be cheaper than the "business" (ie. expensive) line of good PC makers with the same parts.  And don't expect much help from HP when you can't get SONAR working right ;-)
2017/05/29 05:45:00
kawika
I emailed Jim and he promptly replied. Gonna call this week and purchase. Thanks Guys.
2017/05/29 08:49:06
Bristol_Jonesey
Good decision. you won't regret it 
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account