• Software
  • Is There Any Reason Win 10 Pro is Needed for a DAW?
2018/08/27 21:02:49
dmbaer
Subject line says it all.  When upgrading to Win 10 (from Win 7 Home Premium in my case), I can't see anything in Pro that justifies the extra expense, but I wanted to see if anyone else has found some reason why Pro should be preferred.

Any suggestions about the lowest-cost upgrade strategy would also be appreciated.

I see that MS is officially dropping support for Win 7 in about 17 months, so I guess I finally (and reluctantly) need to start planning for an upgrade.  It's really annoying to have to fix something that ain't broke!
2018/08/27 21:19:08
JonD
dmbaer
Subject line says it all.  When upgrading to Win 10 (from Win 7 Home Premium in my case), I can't see anything in Pro that justifies the extra expense, but I wanted to see if anyone else has found some reason why Pro should be preferred.

Any suggestions about the lowest-cost upgrade strategy would also be appreciated.

I see that MS is officially dropping support for Win 7 in about 17 months, so I guess I finally (and reluctantly) need to start planning for an upgrade.  It's really annoying to have to fix something that ain't broke!

If you must go to Win 10 Pro (over Win 8.1, my preference) then be sure to turn off auto-updates, and give yourself a safety net with regular backup images.  Way too many Win 10 users on this board do neither and then come here in a panicked state when Sonar suddenly doesn't work right and they have an important session the next day.  It's mind-boggling.
2018/08/27 22:46:33
2:43AM
Overall, it seems like Win10 Pro = More control.

I'm on this fence as well.  I've had it up to hear <taps under chin> with Home.
2018/08/27 23:12:52
BobF
I have a Win10 Pro desktop/DAW and a Win10 Home laptop

The laptop does what it wants to do when it wants to do it.  The desktop (Pro) allows me enough control to feel like I'm in control

Both came with the versions they have, but I've been seriously considering paying the $40 ransom for the laptop to get control over the updates.
2018/08/27 23:33:02
kitekrazy1
I could see sticking with W7 if you want to keep the DAW offline and don't plan to upgrade anything.

The drawback with W7 Home is RAM limitations that are not in W10.
2018/08/28 02:27:12
DeeringAmps
I just ordered a new StudioCat, I went with Win 10 Pro, as BofF said; more control.

T
2018/08/28 13:49:09
BassDaddy
dmbaer

Aint that the truth! But, in 17 months your medical insurance gets dropped.
2018/08/28 14:07:05
abacab
BobF

The laptop does what it wants to do when it wants to do it.  The desktop (Pro) allows me enough control to feel like I'm in control

Same here.  Wouldn't ever consider running an important computer on Win 10 Home.

It's worth the ransom, if you value your time and efforts!

And get started with full system images anyway, if you are not already doing so, just in case a Windows update does you wrong. It only takes a few minutes to restore an earlier image and roll everything back to the way it was.

But that's always been the case with every version of Windows.  It's just that with Win 10 you get everything shoveled down in a big rollup if you do a monthly update, individual patches can no longer be selected.
2018/08/28 16:36:04
KingsMix
abacab
BobF

Same here.  Wouldn't ever consider running an important computer on Win 10 Home.

It's worth the ransom, if you value your time and efforts!

And get started with full system images anyway, if you are not already doing so, just in case a Windows update does you wrong. It only takes a few minutes to restore an earlier image and roll everything back to the way it was.

But that's always been the case with every version of Windows.  It's just that with Win 10 you get everything shoveled down in a big rollup if you do a monthly update, individual patches can no longer be selected.

+1
2018/08/28 17:28:56
rsinger
I have Win 10 Home on a laptop. I set the internet connection to metered so it won't update automatically. I haven't had any problems.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account