• Software
  • Is There Any Reason Win 10 Pro is Needed for a DAW? (p.2)
2018/08/28 18:15:37
fret_man
Same with me, rsinger.
2018/08/28 18:35:06
BobF
Updates are the biggest, but not the only thing that can be controlled in Pro.

But, as the saying goes, "If it ain't broke [for you], don't fix it!"

2018/08/29 14:08:23
bitflipper
I would have framed the original question as "is there any downside to staying on Windows 7 for a dedicated DAW?"

The answer would be no - for now. But there is no way to guarantee that that will always be the case. Even though the DAW itself will be fine for many years to come, it's likely that someday you could encounter an incompatibility with a driver. Even if you freeze a stable system software-wise, you will eventually have to replace some piece of hardware.
2018/08/29 14:14:06
Jim Roseberry
When going with Win10, get the Pro version.
Not for any performance related reason... but for the Group Policy Editor (makes shutting down unwanted components such as Cortana, OneDrive, etc. easy).

Once reined-in, Win10 is a fine DAW platform.

2018/08/29 14:48:25
Grem
Yep, MS will make you pay for the ability to turn all the BS they put in the OS that they already know you don't want on!
2018/08/29 21:04:04
dmbaer
bitflipper
I would have framed the original question as "is there any downside to staying on Windows 7 for a dedicated DAW?"

The answer would be no - for now. But there is no way to guarantee that that will always be the case. Even though the DAW itself will be fine for many years to come, it's likely that someday you could encounter an incompatibility with a driver. Even if you freeze a stable system software-wise, you will eventually have to replace some piece of hardware.

The problem is not that Win 7 will not be stable for the foreseeable future - I'm quite sure it will.  The problem is that vendors will be dropping support.  Cubase 10 will probably be released in a few months.  Will it run on Win 7?  I won't be surprised if the answer is "no".  Cubase 10.5 will almost certainly have dropped support.  UVI also officially no longer supports Win 7 (they have told me that they will attempt to do so, but they are offering no guarantees going forward).

So, it seems to me that the need to upgrade sometime in the next year is pretty strong.

2018/08/30 15:20:50
Jim Roseberry
Regarding Cubase 10 (and other future DAW updates):
It will probably install/run on Win7... but if there's an issue, Steinberg likely won't offer official support (and thus potential issues may not be addressed).
That's a legitimate concern.

Win10 is fine. 
It's slightly annoying to have to purchase the "Pro" version to have more control.
It's an extra $40 if buying new (in-place Home>Pro upgrade is $100). 
Over the 5+ year life of a typical machine, that's not too awful.  
2018/08/30 15:40:28
ampfixer
Management of updates and the Group Policy Editor have been mentioned and for me these 2 items make it worth the extra money. Everyone I know that has Win 7 for daily use is starting to have driver issues and an inability to get updates. I believe MS is doing everything they can to push people off of Win 7. Win 10 Pro is a great O/S.
2018/08/30 21:15:18
dmbaer
Jim Roseberry
It's slightly annoying to have to purchase the "Pro" version to have more control.
It's an extra $40 if buying new (in-place Home>Pro upgrade is $100). 
Over the 5+ year life of a typical machine, that's not too awful.  

Hmmm, seems like I bought both my "office" computer and my DAW from you over five years ago as it is.  But there's no way I'm feeling they aren't fully capable of running the workloads I throw at them.  Maybe you do just too good a job. 
2018/08/31 12:40:30
Jim Roseberry
Glad they're still working well for you!  
Get the Pro version of Win10... get it reined-in... and you're set for another 5+ years.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account