• SONAR
  • Are there separate MIDI pitch/mod controllers available?
2007/12/07 11:43:39
joba51
Hey "Producers" - does anyone know of any pitch bend and modwheel controllers available as a separate unit, possibly USB? I have a Yamaha keyboard with MIDI but no wheels and I think it ludicrous that I would have to "mouse" the controllers for a DXi plugin while trying to play at the same time. And, of course, I don't want to get another keyboard. Thanks much - John
2007/12/07 11:51:56
jinga8
Any MIDI compliant controller with whatever type of control (wheel, fader, knob, ribon, D-Beam, etc) can be mapped to control Pitchbend and/or Mod Wheel functions.
2007/12/07 12:00:08
Honest_Al
can be mapped to control Pitchbend and/or Mod Wheel functions.

Mod Wheel - it's pretty much "just another" 0-127 continuous controller, assign a fader or even a foot pedal (pretty course but will be fine for some tasks)

But regarding pitch bending - this will mostly need a Pitch Wheel..you'll need the spring that throws it back to place and the center detent for getting "musical results"
2007/12/07 12:02:29
John
This is not going to be a good solution for you. Sonar will have those controls on a separate track. That track can be routed to your synth but you will always have to set this up so it will work. I would look for a good solid MIDI controller that will have all the controllers you need built in.
2007/12/07 12:07:48
epillarbox

ORIGINAL: jinga8

Any MIDI compliant controller with whatever type of control (wheel, fader, knob, ribon, D-Beam, etc) can be mapped to control Pitchbend and/or Mod Wheel functions.

I'm not quite sure about "Any". My Yamaha S80 has four control sliders which send sysex messages and I'd be delighted if these could be mapped to CC's.

I'd be delighted to be wrong!

Laurence
2007/12/07 12:39:56
joba51
"any" as in what? That is my question, as long as it is not a keyboard.
Thanks all for your input.
2007/12/07 12:54:51
Bonzos Ghost
I know you stated you don't want to buy another keyboard, but if you're using softsynths at this point, then I think it's a no brainer to bite the bullet and pick up a keyboard controller with lots of assignable controls on it anyway. (Edirol, Axiom, etc) Having all that control at your fingertips opens up a whole new world of possibilities....and just makes things a whole lot easier in the long run.
2007/12/07 13:08:21
joba51
I'm beginning to see that THAT may be the only sensible route. Or maybe I'll market my own......
Thanks all
2018/11/23 04:38:12
soens
A question that deserves reconsideration in 2018 because I have a keyboard without a pitchwheel or modwheel. It would be cool to have a physical controller for this via MIDI or USB or even mobile app.

I did find this DIY:

2018/11/23 13:22:38
Steev
epillarbox
ORIGINAL: jinga8

I'm not quite sure about "Any". My Yamaha S80 has four control sliders which send sysex messages and I'd be delighted if these could be mapped to CC's.

I'd be delighted to be wrong!

Laurence

They can be Laurence. You will need to create a custom MIDI map for the DXI or VSTi synth you want to control.
 First try using Cakewalk ACT. If not successful...….

You can manually search and  locate the exact CC number for each fader, button, wheel, or button on the S80 in it's documentation in the "MIDI Implementation Chart" for the S80.
And or if the synth you are trying to use understands "GM" spec.1;. 0-127 or "GM" spec.2; 1-128 in the S80's "specified" "User Definable" CC # preset "General MIDI chart" docs.
 Once you have the CC# for the particular fader, you can add, enter and assign it to any synth's parameter in your SONAR/Cakewalk Piano Roll window.

Yes, 'tis a pain in the butt and requires digging rather into the S80's "User Manual" but it can be done.

Life is MUCH easier and less complicated using a good "MIDI Keyboard Controller" designed for these purposes, such as a "Novation Impulse" which I personally know works great with SONAR/Cakewalk as a keyboard, DAW and Plugin controller, + multi function pads controller for either playing drums or triggering loops.
 And this way you can easily achieve levels of control that you've never even imagined before and leave the faders on the S80 to do what Yamaha intended them to do.
 Very COOL and elegant synth BTW, and that's coming from an 'ol skool die hard Roland guy. 

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account