• Computers
  • A general question about life span of computers... (p.3)
2017/05/02 00:15:03
interpolated
I don't dispute it.
2017/05/08 07:03:14
mudgel
I built my i7 3930k system early 2012 with Win 7 and Sonar 8-8.5 and it operates quicker now with Win 10 and SPlat.
2017/05/08 12:42:10
abacab
mudgel
I built my i7 3930k system early 2012 with Win 7 and Sonar 8-8.5 and it operates quicker now with Win 10 and SPlat.

Well that should hold you for a while yet ...
2017/05/08 12:56:49
abacab
interpolated
You need a well vented case firstly. My current has pretty good airflow.  

I have front fans currently not in use, an exhaust fan in the case. 

Currently averaging 33.1 Centigrade (CPU), not sure about ambient. But anyway less heat produced by hardware should in theory become a more stable system. 

This is a point of interest for me at the moment.

http://www.nofancomputer.com/eng/products/CR-80EH.php

The plan is an exhaust fan behind the heatsink as normal and possibly enabling the front fan to increase the airflow throughout the case. However I expect using SSD storage in place of HDD will reduce the heat and power consumption.

This weekend, one of my two 80mm fans developed a squeaky bearing.  I don't mind the ambient sound of a little air blowing, but the squeaky wheel dives me nuts!  Out!!!

This case (full ATX) and fans (one intake, one exhaust) has survived a couple of builds over 10 years, so I would say I got my money's worth out of them.

I had a couple of new spare fans that I bought recently, just in case.  https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Bearing-Cooling-Computer/dp/B002R9RBO0/ref=sr_1_1

So I ripped out the old 80's and put in the new.  Wow!  The new fans (2000RPM) are much quieter, can hardly hear them running at all.  The only thing I really hear now is the stock Intel CPU cooler, and that's not awful.  It's a PWM fan controlled by the mobo, and averages around 1000RPM.
2017/05/08 14:30:36
batsbrew
i built my DAW in 2008.
built it do only audio recording,
no other tasks.

still going strong in 2017.
dont scrimp,
use quality parts, 
don't mess with things that work.
2017/05/08 23:14:59
abacab
batsbrew

dont scrimp,
use quality parts

+1

That's the big advantage of home building.  You get to choose the important parts.  With off the shelf, store bought computers, it's a crap shoot!
2017/05/09 00:26:25
kitekrazy1
batsbrew
i built my DAW in 2008.
built it do only audio recording,
no other tasks.

still going strong in 2017.
dont scrimp,
use quality parts, 
don't mess with things that work.

Hate it when learning that lesson more than once. 
 Sometimes it's not always about price.  Any ASUS board will last you a long time no matter what you paid for it. I really see no point in spending over $300 for a motherboard guaranteed for 3 years. Most of them have features I don't really need.  I never had issues with any board under $150.

Probably the most important thing in my builds are quality power supplies. 

Most hardware these days outlast their usefulness. 

2017/05/11 16:21:31
Starise
My general rule of thumb has been 5 to 7 years. At that point  I prepare to get all the info I need from the older computer while it's still healthy so I won't have a tough time transferring. Then I usually mothball the older daw.
I still have my old daw.
Don't wait until it's too late. At 5 years you might start looking at replacement options. If funds are tight you could start to buy the hardware one piece at a time if you plan to build your own computer. You can afford to take your time looking for the best deals and spec'ing the best price/performance.

At 10 years though, you're walking on thin ice if it's your daw. Web surfing not so much.
2017/05/17 03:03:48
LLyons
+1 for quality parts, with a simple twist. Make small changes each year. I started trying a different approach in 2005. New case, mobo, processor and the like. I got in at a new CPU package design implementation. So I bought the best mobo I could - but the low end CPU. Fast memory - but only 4 gig.

Following year, I added memory at half the price. Following year bought a faster hard drive. Following year the package design was end of lifed, but I got the fastest in the series for 1/3 of the price. Following year a new power supply and new hard drive. Held onto the mobo and core for another 3 years.

Kept the case, fans, hard drive and again bought the best mobo I could. The subsequent purchases followed the same pattern. The leaps in tech each year aren't that great. I bought top end CPU and memory about a year 1/2 later for 1/2 the price. Except for power supplies and Mobos, I improve the system each year for a bit less.
2017/05/17 14:35:16
Starise
I'm wondering if computer I.D. issues could be a factor in gradual replacement, especially with motherboards and main OS hard drives.  I might add memory later on or an extra hard drive. I don't think this flags win 10. If new OS, then it doesn't matter I suppose.

In the old days , you could simply replace the mobo and keep the main HDD and usually there would be no issues. With newer OS I'm not so sure.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account