• Computers
  • Dedicated DAW Build - 2 drives or 3?
2017/05/08 15:30:26
silver son
Hi, I'm retiring my overworked laptop for a ground-up dedicated DAW build.  My question is should I use 2 drives or 3 if I am using SSDs.  

Using 2 drives:
C (SSD 500 GB): OS, Cakewalk Program, VST folder, Content folder, Command Center
D (HDD 1TB): Projects

If I were to use 3 it would look like:
C (SSD 240 GB): OS and Cakewalk Program
D (SSD 240 GB): VST folder, Content folder, Command Center
E (HDD 1TB): Projects

My thinking is that during recording, the application, VSTs and Projects are most active.  I know that the seek speed of SSDs are much faster than HDDs suggesting that 1 drive for everything except Projects might be enough.  Are there other significant factors like throughput (too much info in the pipe)  Would a 2nd SSD allow better throughput into the board?  (Please forgive my lack of accurate language.)

Thanks

2017/05/08 15:34:28
Jim Roseberry
If you're using sample libraries, you want at least three drives.
  • OS/Apps/Plugins (not accompanying sample libraries)
  • Audio/Projects
  • Samples
2017/05/08 16:44:39
scook
silver son

If I were to use 3 it would look like:
C (SSD 240 GB): OS and Cakewalk Program
D (SSD 240 GB): VST folder, Content folder, Command Center
E (HDD 1TB): Projects
 Would a 2nd SSD allow better throughput into the board?  (Please forgive my lack of accurate language.)

Not for this config. I have all of X2, X3 and Platinum (multiple versions), all the Rapture free and paid expansion packs, a few DPro packs and hundreds of plug-ins installed on my system 240GB SSD with plenty of room to spare. From a performance perspective, there is no reason to break out VST binaries and Cakewalk Content to another disk. I did put the Command Center cache on my project drive using a directory junction though to have a large area for quick access to old installers.

As Jim mentions if you use other sample-based software, in my case Superior Drums and  BFD, those samples are on a third drive. I do not use Kontakt or any of the other major sample-based synths but they would have their libraries on drives other than the system or project drives too.
2017/05/08 22:25:53
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Jim Roseberry
If you're using sample libraries, you want at least three drives.
  • OS/Apps/Plugins (not accompanying sample libraries)
  • Audio/Projects
  • Samples

This ... and get the regular backup of each one in place right from the start ...
2017/05/09 00:30:03
kitekrazy1
 I have 4 total.  I still don't get why people think it's convenient to put VSTs on a separate drive.  Most of them are small unless they are romplers.
2017/05/10 04:22:32
bitflipper
I plan on adding a 4th drive, a 1TB SSD, for sample libraries when I can afford it. 1TB SSDs are still kinda pricey, but will no doubt keep coming down.

I remember the first time I saw a 1 GB disk drive. It was the size of a dishwasher and cost $50,000. Incredibly, they actually trusted me to take them apart and put them back together again. Some years later I bought my own 1 GB drive for $180. Now I've got the equivalent of 2,500 of those in my current computer. 

Anybody keeping track of 1TB SSD prices?
2017/05/10 04:57:32
kitekrazy1
bitflipper
I plan on adding a 4th drive, a 1TB SSD, for sample libraries when I can afford it. 1TB SSDs are still kinda pricey, but will no doubt keep coming down.

I remember the first time I saw a 1 GB disk drive. It was the size of a dishwasher and cost $50,000. Incredibly, they actually trusted me to take them apart and put them back together again. Some years later I bought my own 1 GB drive for $180. Now I've got the equivalent of 2,500 of those in my current computer. 

All of the time.  Way too much for me. Meanwhile I also keep track of HHDs.  I've seen 1GB WD Blacks under $80. I see some WB Blues 2TB for under $80. I may have to upgrade a 1TB to 2TB. My drives could be featured on an episode of Hoarders.

If I had a board with 12 SATA ports I'd be buying those 500GB SSDs.
2017/05/10 16:07:56
JonD
bitflipper
I plan on adding a 4th drive, a 1TB SSD, for sample libraries when I can afford it....

I used to, when I had the same plan.  Then I decided on a different tack.

I bought a smaller, more affordable SSD (256GB), and only put my most-used sample libs on it.  I have way too many total to try and house on one SSD.  But I use maybe 12 or so regularly.  So those "faves" are kept on the SSD and the rest on a 4TB HDD.

Works a treat.  Of course, it doesn't shorten all load times, but maybe 80% for me.
2017/05/11 01:44:43
Kev999
I have the following setup:
  1. SSD 120GB: OS, Apps, VSTs
  2. SSD 120GB: Multisamples + libraries (e.g. drum maps, templates)
  3. SSD 120GB: Current & recent projects
Plus other non-SSD drives (some partitioned) for storing the following:
  • Older projects
  • Exports & mixes
  • Misc music-related stuff
  • Manuals & reference material
  • Software installation files
  • CCC downloads
  • Visual media
  • Backups
Obviously some users need a much bigger drive for multisamples than I do.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account