• Software
  • Sampletank 3 crashing Sonar (p.2)
2017/11/13 21:55:54
jude77
abacab
jude77

I think this is your solution.  I had the exact same problem, did the above steps and now ST3 is happy with SONAR.

Good luck.

Was it buffer settings or VST3?

It was the VST3.  Delete that using MSorrells direction and you should be good.
2017/11/13 22:19:03
msorrels
The VST3 version does work, sometimes.  It's more a question of how reliable it is verses the VST2 version.  And yes your mileage may vary, a lot.  I've used the VST3 version for a while only to find something tips over and it becomes a crashfest.  Switching to the VST2 version often has fixed the problem. 

I have given recent VST3 versions a try (more than once), but time and time again it has failed.  I'm not actually sure there is any advantage to the VST3 version vs the VST2, so it's made it easy to just banish it.

I wish they would look at crash reports, but I don't think it's even possible to get anything in front of IK's actual dev team.  The front end tech support people never seem to send anything through.

2017/11/13 22:32:34
SquareSpiral
So some quick stress testing later and as other here have posited I would count the VST2 as more stable under load that the VST3 - in my system YMMV etc..

So the take away for me from this is that Sonar and the ID14 app are not always talking well when setting buffer sizes - Looks like I can include ST3 back into the production arsenal again.

Thanks very much to all who took time to comment and share ideas

Cheers

Chris - SquareSpiral
2017/11/13 22:43:12
BassDaddy
It took a while to remember but VST3 was not stable on my system either so at some point reinstalled without VST3. 
2017/11/13 23:05:17
Grem
I took a shot when I installed on my Surface a d went with the vst3. So far no problems. But.it's my Surface, it really doesn't get stressed that much.

But in my music PC, I didn't install the vst3 version because of all the reports I saw.
2017/11/13 23:22:42
LANEY
VST3 works with no problems on my system.
2017/11/13 23:44:51
LANEY
VST3 works with no problems on my system.

ditto (although I rarely use SONAR Platinum any longer, but don't recall having issues and always use VST3)
2017/11/14 12:03:04
TigerTheFrog
I can load easily load up five instances each (and probably more) of Sampletank 3 and Syntronik as instruments and so far have had no issues or crashes.  

But if I try to load even one instance of either Sampletank 3 or Syntronik as a track template, Sonar Platinum immediately crashes. It's a drag because I like to use track templates, but I've learned I can't use them with these two instruments.  Maybe I will experiment with a reinstallation with VST2 at some point for both of them, as the problems with track templates could point to trouble ahead.   
2017/11/14 16:43:46
abacab
TigerTheFrog
I can load easily load up five instances each (and probably more) of Sampletank 3 and Syntronik as instruments and so far have had no issues or crashes.  

But if I try to load even one instance of either Sampletank 3 or Syntronik as a track template, Sonar Platinum immediately crashes. It's a drag because I like to use track templates, but I've learned I can't use them with these two instruments.  Maybe I will experiment with a reinstallation with VST2 at some point for both of them, as the problems with track templates could point to trouble ahead.   

Interesting... 

I usually insert SampleTank 3 with only the first stereo output, or as a simple instrument track, so don't normally encounter track templates with this plugin.

So I created a track template for ST3 using all stereo audio outs:  16 audio tracks + 1 MIDI track.

The first test project I created and saved in Sonar using just this template crashed Sonar on closing the project file twice in a row.  APPCRASH in SONARPLT.exe.  But no crashes on opening the project file.

But now it opens and closes just fine.  Cannot reproduce this again.  Weird...
2018/08/26 19:13:18
joden
VST3 version of ST3 crashes for me constantly.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account