• Software
  • Microsoft petition. DAW mode like the Game mode!
2018/08/23 14:46:38
ØSkald
DAW mode like the Game mode!
It would be great to have a DAW mode for Windows.
The reason is that Low latency is a must for a DAW,
but if you have the PC for other things,
those settings turns off every power savings settings so the PC is always on and so on.
Every timer and background task is harming the latency for the DAW.
But they are necessary for a normal PC use.

(DAW = Digital Audio Workstation)
(Latency = audio roundtrip from
> Sound card input.
> DAW.
> DAW processes the audio with effects, like guitar amp simulation, reverb for vocals and so on.
> DAW Master output where the live sound melts with all the other tracks.
> Sound card output.

Popular DAWs are ProTools, Cubase, Studio One and a great free one is Cakewalk by BandLab.

Link to the petition:
https://aka.ms/AA24j3u
2018/08/23 14:57:23
ØSkald
There are some special features that would be cool to have.

OneDrive on pause while recording and starts immediately after recording/playback is done to make backup.

Make a bobble and everything in it works, but everything outside stays on hold while app is running. Like mail app, WhatsApp, Telegram, Chrome, Firefox, backup, antivirus, network/internet and so on. Network might work just for the things in the bobble.
2018/08/23 14:59:52
Jim Roseberry
A Win10 install that's well-tweaked for DAW purposes is (also) great for any general-purpose task.
The issue isn't the OS itself... but rather the "general-purpose" applications one may install.

ie: Automated backup software (uses scheduling services that are constantly running in the background)
Those scheduling services have to be shut-down.
Perhaps MS could add user-based "Service Profiles"
2018/08/24 07:18:05
Makzimia
Windoze the king of bloatware. How I wish OS/2 had really been pushed at the time IBM and them were slugging it out. Anyway, nice want list, but I doubt it'll happen. What you can always do is look up lists of how to make modifications, turn off things etc. But, chances of Micro$oft ever doing it... slim to none!.
2018/08/24 15:19:35
abacab
Autoruns by Sysinternals is a great way to get control of background tasks that startup or are scheduled to run.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns

This utility, which has the most comprehensive knowledge of auto-starting locations of any startup monitor, shows you what programs are configured to run during system bootup or login, and when you start various built-in Windows applications like Internet Explorer, Explorer and media players. These programs and drivers include ones in your startup folder, Run, RunOnce, and other Registry keys. Autoruns reports Explorer shell extensions, toolbars, browser helper objects, Winlogon notifications, auto-start services, and much more. Autoruns goes way beyond other autostart utilities.

To disable/enable any entry you simply uncheck/check the box next to it.

Using Autoruns to Deal with Startup Processes and Malware
https://www.howtogeek.com/school/sysinternals-pro/lesson6/
2018/08/24 15:48:49
2:43AM
More often than not, it's the actual hardware such as mobo, graphics card(s), BIOS settings, etc. that cause latencies, not Winblowz.

PS: Win10 is the wurst.
2018/08/24 16:12:56
BobF
Maybe I'm just lucky, but performance-wise Win10 is the best Windows version so far for me.  As was 8.1 before 10.

The updates BS are a major PITA, but the performance is grand

2018/08/24 22:38:45
ØSkald
Jim Roseberry
A Win10 install that's well-tweaked for DAW purposes is (also) great for any general-purpose task.
The issue isn't the OS itself... but rather the "general-purpose" applications one may install.

ie: Automated backup software (uses scheduling services that are constantly running in the background)
Those scheduling services have to be shut-down.
Perhaps MS could add user-based "Service Profiles"

Isn’t it just better with a DAW mode that shuts these things off when you, ether start the DAW or when you start playback of record?
If you have to log off to go into this mode, and you will be in it for a longer time, I guess the computer will be at security risk.
2018/08/24 22:42:09
ØSkald
Makzimia
Windoze the king of bloatware. How I wish OS/2 had really been pushed at the time IBM and them were slugging it out. Anyway, nice want list, but I doubt it'll happen. What you can always do is look up lists of how to make modifications, turn off things etc. But, chances of Micro$oft ever doing it... slim to none!.

I hear you. But at least, Microsoft/Windows has this Feedback Hub. You can in fact ask them for features. But if people don’t care to do so, they will keep on doing what they do.

2018/08/24 22:47:45
ØSkald
2:43AM
More often than not, it's the actual hardware such as mobo, graphics card(s), BIOS settings, etc. that cause latencies, not Winblowz.

PS: Win10 is the wurst.

So why not this DAW mode that stops these features ether when you start up your DAW or start playback or recording in your DAW?
Why not?
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account