• Software
  • Hyperion Strings Micro by SoundIron
2018/07/24 03:10:29
bitflipper
I picked this up last month just because it was on sale. I didn't really need another string library and assumed this was just some cut-down teaser that might be good for adding texture behind my "big" string package. So the poor thing's been sitting idle on my disk drive, unused.

Until today. Today, I decided to take it for a spin - and holy carp, it's good!

Even though not currently discounted, this is an amazing value even at its regular $49 price. You've got violins, violas, cellos and basses with between 20 and 22 articulations for each. You can pan each section left to right and front to back. I haven't even looked at the intriguing "play assist" feature yet. And it runs in the free Kontakt player, so you don't need full Kontakt.

My understanding is that this is just a preview of an upcoming full-featured product - when that full version comes out, I will definitely be giving it a look. Even though I still don't *need* another string library. Especially now.
2018/07/24 15:23:23
Starise
Looks like a great deal. Thanks Dave. I'll need the micro libraries from now on until I get another hard drive.
2018/07/24 18:41:41
abacab
Yup, they even approved of it over at v.i. control, so that says something if these guys get excited about a $40 preview, LOL!

Soundiron's Hyperion Strings: A Preview
https://vi-control.net/community/threads/soundirons-hyperion-strings-a-preview.70864/

Hyperion Strings Micro - Part 2
https://vi-control.net/community/threads/hyperion-strings-micro-part-2.73272/
2018/07/31 17:37:15
Marshall
Just picked this up today. As someone who is trying to get his head around some of this orchestral stuff for the first time, it seems ideal. Instant gratification, as much as that is possible with limited knowledge.
2018/08/05 22:12:11
ProjectM
This library is used heavily on my upcoming stuff for release. Use on its own or layer it with any other library for added intimacy to even the grandest aymphonic orchestra. Yeah, I agree with the OP. Just buy this. I can’t wait til the full version comes. It will definitely be on my HDD the moment it’s available
2018/08/07 00:57:39
davdud101
How's it compare with Sonivox's Orchestral Companion Strings, in ya'll's opinion? (I'll check out the samples in a coupla minutes)
2018/08/07 12:52:48
abacab
davdud101
How's it compare with Sonivox's Orchestral Companion Strings, in ya'll's opinion? (I'll check out the samples in a coupla minutes)

I'm sure that it's not even close. I have Sonivox, but it's currently uninstalled, as I needed the disk space for IK Miroslav Philharmonic 2 CE.  The Sonivox samples aren't bad, but the interface is horrible.

I don't have Hyperion Micro (yet), but based on the videos and samples, it's in another league.  Looks great! 
2018/08/07 12:54:03
Michael A.D.
Hyperion is much better (sound far more realistic) than Sonivox's Orchestral Companion Strings.  
Actually, most string libraries are better than the Sonivox... I haven't used those in a long time!
2018/08/13 14:47:20
Glyn Barnes
This is on sale again now (along with all other Soundiron products) http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3777057
$31.85 https://soundiron.com/products/hyperion-strings-micro

Edit - I snagged this and its very good, particularly at that price. One thing that may catch out the casual user of orchestral libraries is the modulation wheel controls the expression, not vibrato. This is almost a standard in string libraries as it allows easy control of the expression which is essential for getting realistic sounding parts. This can cause confusion in the unwary when the modulation wheel is at zero and there is no sound.

Vibrato is assigned a encoder on the first page in NKS. Non NKS users will need to map a controller if they need this.

2018/08/14 00:43:59
Fleer
In da house, thanks to Glyn.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account