• SONAR
  • Change MIDI Channel on Specific Notes (Answered)
2018/11/19 01:53:49
Larry Jones
I'm using Session Horns (Native Instruments), and it has a way to modify the articulation of specific notes played by specific horns by sending just those notes to a different MIDI channel. What I've been doing is opening the Event Viewer and the Piano Roll View and clicking on the note in the PRV that I want to modify. That note is then highlighted in the EV, and from there I can change its MIDI channel. Session Horns then applies my selected articulation to that note (or group of notes, as in a chord).

Does anyone know if there's a more direct way to change the MIDI channel of a single note (or sometimes group of notes)? That is, by opening fewer windows on my already cluttered screen? It would speed things up if, for example, I could change the MIDI channel from the PRV, but that doesn't seem possible.

Thanks for any ideas!
2018/11/19 01:59:34
msmcleod
Take a look at the Split notes to tracks CAL script.
2018/11/19 02:12:56
scook
The Event Inspector Module can change channel for one or more notes at a time.
2018/11/19 02:13:35
Larry Jones
msmcleod
Take a look at the Split notes to tracks CAL script.

Thanks! If it does what the title says, though, it's not what I need. Session Horns wants to read just one track, and it applies a different articulation to any note that's sent to a different MIDI channel. (I may be using wrong terminology, because I'm just a simple guitar player.)
2018/11/19 02:40:16
Rbh
If it's just the occasional note - I think you can right click the note in the piano roll view and change it there. - or as Scook says - pre select the notes and change them with the event inspector module.
2018/11/19 03:22:52
Larry Jones
scook
The Event Inspector Module can change channel for one or more notes at a time.

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!
2018/11/19 03:24:00
Larry Jones
Rbh
If it's just the occasional note - I think you can right click the note in the piano roll view and change it there. - or as Scook says - pre select the notes and change them with the event inspector module.

Scook's suggestion about the Event Inspector Module is what I needed. FYI, if you right-click a note in the PRV you delete it.
2018/11/19 04:09:48
scook
Larry Jones
 FYI, if you right-click a note in the PRV you delete it.

Yes, if the Smart tool is selected; double-click displays properties. Right-click will bring up properties when using the Select Tool.
2018/11/19 08:16:41
Bassman002
HI:)

@Larry Jones

Are you sure, the articulations are on another midi channel??  In Session Hors Pro they are keyswitches from C-1 to G#-1, so you don't need another midichannel, never heard of that!

Bassman.

2018/11/19 19:44:34
Larry Jones
Bassman002
HI:)

@Larry Jones

Are you sure, the articulations are on another midi channel??  In Session Horns Pro they are keyswitches from C-1 to G#-1, so you don't need another midichannel, never heard of that!

Bassman.

Yes, I'm sure. I am using the basic version of Session Horns, not Session Horns Pro, so that might be the difference. Also, I'm not talking about playing live -- I am editing articulations after the track is recorded.

I learned about this from this video. Look at it from 2:56 to see what I'm talking about. The video uses Logic as the host DAW, so I stumbled around in SONAR for a while trying to figure out how to do this, and you can see in this thread what I've learned.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account