2016/01/04 10:53:48
Adji
I'm not sure if it has been brought up already on an idea in the pipellne. what I think would be a great feature (either paid addition or part of an update) is a good quality, accurate VU Meter that can embed in the pro channel or even somewhere in the actual track. I know it sounds crazy but I swear I mix in a totally different way when I'm using VU Meters as opposed to LED meters. I suppose the LED meters make me use my eyes a little more and the VU meters make me use my ears a little more.
No one way is better than the other but I think it would be a cool feature to have.
2016/01/04 11:40:41
scook
I believe the Console Emulation modules can serve that function and will not color the sound if the trim, drive and tolerance are left at defaults.
2016/01/04 12:11:39
Leadfoot
It would be cool if Cakewalk could work with Klanghelm to develop a Pro Channel version of the VUMT.
2016/01/04 15:20:48
brconflict
This was mentioned, too as a welcomed side-effect for larger faders. You can obviously change the scale of the VU meter in each channel now, but that's a pain.

To make them more accurate by making them larger, along with the faders, we'd have a win/win. Currently, I deploy a Brainworx bx_meter on a specific channel, if I need it, but I mainly use that only on busses.
2016/01/04 16:29:42
TheMaartian
As long as you're talking meters, don't forget loudness. Toneboosters' "TB EBULoudness" meters (http://www.toneboosters.com/tb-ebuloudness/) are really useful and very inexpensive (19.95€).

Features
  • Loudness analysis compliant with ITU-R BS.1770, ATSC A/85, EBU-R128, and EBU Tech report 3341
  • Loudness range (LRA) support according EBU Tech report 3342
  • EBU mode LUFS, EBU+9, EBU+18 and EBU+27 loudness scales for broadcast production
  • K-system v2 scales K-20, K-16, K-14, and K-12 for music and podcast production
  • True-peak (dBTP) measurement compliant with ITU-R BS.1770 and EBU-R128
  • Support of all sampling rates from 22kHz upwards
  • Set of one compact (stereo only) and one full-fledged multi-channel (5.1) plugin
  • Ability to sync with play/pause of the DAW host (if supported by host)

I have both the Klanghelm VU meters and these...and use these much more often. Both excellent.

One note I'll pass on re usage of the TB meters: there are two plugins, stereo and surround. The surround plugin CAN support stereo inputs (vs. 5.1), but...just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Per bitflipper,

Why use the stereo version rather than the surround? I can think of two reasons. First, the UI will be less cluttered. Second, it's possible the meters could get confused by stereo input (iZotope Insight assumes Left-Center-Right by default, which screws up the balance meter because it's looking for a nonexistent center channel).
2016/01/05 09:05:00
Adji
Thanks for the responses and ideas all, I'll certainly check out toneboosters but I'm very keen on having it built into the prochannel or better yet into the actual mix strip somehow.

scook
I believe the Console Emulation modules can serve that function and will not color the sound if the trim, drive and tolerance are left at defaults.

Ooh is that true? It could be a placebo effect of sorts but I swear if I put the console emulator on all tracks and then bypass and reactivate them all I'm sure I hear a difference even with all settings as you mentioned. I guess I couldn't say without actually measuring it in someway.
2016/01/05 11:14:40
pwalpwal
can the pc do this? it was always talk of "simplifying" the gui, whereas vu meters go in the opposite direction!
2016/01/05 11:37:56
Adji
pwalpwal
can the pc do this? it was always talk of "simplifying" the gui, whereas vu meters go in the opposite direction!

I've not been on the forums for a while so I'm a little 'out of the loop.' I really like the GUI and use the pro channel a lot and on nearly every track so have it almost permantly open and the gui is still very friendly and accessible for me. Can you link me to a thread or something discussing this mate? Would be a good read.
Or have I completely misunderstood your post? It happens, haha.
2016/01/05 13:30:31
Snehankur
How about a VU meter just above the Gain knob in the console view. Though the FX and SEND part keep on extending - 4 sends and many FX [not sure about the number I tried and got tired after introducing 15 !]
2016/01/05 13:37:46
Leadfoot
Snehankur
How about a VU meter just above the Gain knob in the console view.

Or right between the fader and the pan control.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account