2017/03/10 00:31:44
mcdonalk
Can anyone recommend an ASIO USB audio driver?

I would like to eliminate my audio interface and use this set of speakers for our DAW activities:

http://www.klipsch.com/products/r-15pm-powered-monitors

These speakers implement, among other interfaces, a USB interface which connects to a PC via a USB interface for transporting audio. We have a pair already, and they are connected via USB to a PC using the Windows 10 USB audio driver (not ASIO), and they sound quite nice for their size. If I can get this to work out, we can eliminate our existing aging USB audio interface (and wall wart), amplifier, and older speakers.

2017/03/10 01:02:25
dwardzala
If you are using Sonar, you can run it in WASAPI driver mode and be able to mix.  Recording latency might be problematic depending on your system.
2017/03/10 06:08:34
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
mcdonalk
Can anyone recommend an ASIO USB audio driver?

ASIO drivers are written by the manufacturer and need to fit the device. There is no generic true ASIO driver.
2017/03/10 15:25:23
bvideo
Another potential problem with ASIO is that an app cannot have more than one driver open. If you use an ASIO driver for your USB speakers, you have no driver for input, so no audio recording.
2017/03/10 16:29:56
Jim Roseberry
After the PC itself, the audio interface is the second most critical component for a rock-solid DAW.
The built-in audio interface in a pair of monitor speakers is not going to be up-to-snuff for working with low-latency multi-track audio.

Use a decent dedicated audio interface.
  • It'll have a proper ASIO driver
  • You'll be able to effectively work at low-latency settings
  • You'll be able to record external sources (guitars, vocals, etc)
2017/03/10 17:57:18
Dave76
ASIO4ALL will accomplish what you are looking for by mapping the device's WDM driver over to ASIO:
http://www.asio4all.com/

You could also try SONAR's built-in WDM, WASAPI, etc. modes as those may be adequate for your purposes by themselves.  
2017/03/10 20:19:18
fireberd
Beware of ASIO4ALL.  It works for some and not for others and even for others it will screw up other devices.
2017/03/10 21:35:27
dwardzala
Dave76
ASIO4ALL will accomplish what you are looking for by mapping the device's WDM driver over to ASIO:
http://www.asio4all.com/

You could also try SONAR's built-in WDM, WASAPI, etc. modes as those may be adequate for your purposes by themselves.  

Do not do ASIO4ALL.  WASAPI will get you decent to good performance if latency isn't an issue (i.e. you are mixing).
2017/03/11 01:20:46
abacab
If you are using Windows 10, and a current release of Sonar, WASAPI is the best choice for those without a hardware audio interface and the vendor supplied ASIO drivers.

If using Sonar X3, you may not be able to access WASAPI on Windows 10.  I have found that WDM works OK in this case.

Some Cakewalk standalone instruments also demand ASIO only, and WASAPI is not an option.  Some examples are Rapture Session, Cakewalk Pro, Rapture, etc.

I also have a Win 10 laptop with ASIO4ALL installed with no problems, but it is not my main DAW, and I am not attempting to connect an external audio interface.  Not attempting any recording with this rig either!  It seems to run fine with playback using virtual instruments or audio only using the internal Realtek audio chip.

I think that the advice to get a real interface is best, especially if you are serious about making music on your computer.  The advantages to having proper low latency ASIO drivers, as well as the ability to record with your microphones or guitars using a proper preamp are priceless.  The entry level units are budget friendly, and should be the highest priority investment after purchasing your computer.
2017/03/11 10:50:11
pwalpwal
i also use asio4all without any of the hoo-har implied in this forum, i expect it's because some people can't figure out how to configure it so it must be asio4all's fault

and fwiw, wasapi is also a "wdm wrapper" just like asio4all... go figure...
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account