• Computers
  • Installed the Win 10 Creators Upgrade - No Problems (so far)
2017/04/06 15:38:59
fireberd
The Windows 10 Creators Upgrade will be officially released in phases starting April 11.  As I'm in the Windows "Insider" program I get early beta releases of Win 10.  I have a dual boot system with my Production Win 10 and the Insider versions.  I don't have any issues with the Creators Upgrade beta release (15063.11) and when the "final" Win 10 version was made available early I got it and installed in on my Production system.  I see no difference on my desktop or operation.  Sonar Platinum (all that I've tried) works the same and without problems.  I did have to reauthorize my XLN products (VKFX Delay and Addictive Drums 2) but I don't think I've tried to use them or authorized them since I built my new PC so that may not really be an issue with the new Windows 10 update.  

I am now on Version 1703, OS Build 15063.13
2017/04/06 21:07:16
mikedocy
I wonder if it is possible to run Sonar with "Game Mode" enabled?
That may give more resources to Sonar.
I'm going to upgrade my Windows 10 tonight and play around with the game mode
to see if it can be used in any way with Sonar.
2017/04/07 12:40:40
fireberd
Well, it couldn't last.  Ran into a problem with Macrium Reflect (paid version).  After the upgrade I wanted to do a backup (disc image).  Macrium would not start and gave an error message that the License Key, that I was using and was valid, was "already in use".  I had to contact Macrium Support and they had to reset my account. Macrium now works.  This would be the same as having to reauthorize a plug in.  

This was the response from Macrium Support:

"Your installation/PC count has been reset. Please retry your installation again"
2017/04/07 13:30:25
mikedocy
My XLN products got broken too. I can't remember the exact message, but it said something about incorrect serial number or something like that. I will reauthorize tonight.
2017/04/07 14:59:47
glennstanton
it's not uncommon if the software uses some hashing mechanism to identify the PC uniquely and then incorporate that into a license which has to be reset once major OS or even physical updates occur. I've seen where updating the BIOS caused this a while back.
2017/04/07 16:51:47
abacab
The Windows 10 Anniversary, or Creators "updates" are full version upgrades, not just updates. 

So your PC goes through an OS upgrade process similar to Win 7 to 8, or Win 8 to 10.  It may be a smoother process, but it still comes out the other side looking like a "new" computer.  

So any software license scheme that "fingerprints" your system may need its authorization reset.
2017/04/10 19:27:48
mikedocy
Game Mode:
See entire article here:
http://blog.cakewalk.com/windows-10-creators-update-your-daw-is-not-a-game/

"Conclusion
The observed performance with Game Mode did not to hold up to its claims of smoother performance, at least for SONAR running on a well tuned system. This could be because Game Mode allocates a fixed amount of resources while SONAR wants to use all CPU cores. On a DAW where SONAR is the only app running turning on Game Mode could result in worse performance in this scenario. On an underpowered system where there are other background processes, game mode could be beneficial by preventing unwanted interactions with other apps or services.
Our suggestion for now is not to use Game mode for SONAR, at least for the initial release of the Creator’s Update. Perhaps a future update may improve on performance, but at this time we don’t see any improvement in SONAR’s performance with this feature."
2017/04/13 10:31:53
fireberd
Posts I see on the windows 10 forum there those that are having varied issues with the creators upgrade.  But I also see that many of these are systems that the hardware is marginally Win 10 compatible or even one that should not even run Win 10 on the old hardware (an Intel Celeron CPU with 2GB or RAM and Win 10 64 bit OS). 
2017/04/13 17:17:50
TheMaartian
I installed the Creators update yesterday. Painless, really.

One issue I found (other than having to reauthorize my XLN products, as usual) was that the standalone Cakewalk instruments (Dim Pro, Rapture, Z3TA+2) lost the keyboard MIDI assignment, which I reset.

Some (all?) of my previous Default App assignments seemed to stick!

Had to 'reconnect' to the Adguard service.

Had to deal with Windows Defender (so glad I was finally able to get rid of Kaspersky).

So far, so good for me, as well.
2017/04/13 21:14:56
smallstonefan
Creators Edition installed automatically last night (grrr). I put an instance of all of my plugins in a product and XLN was the only one that needed re-authorization. I haven't given it a workout yet but it's stable so far.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account