2017/04/13 07:12:58
lonerjack
Are the SSD HD's really so good? I am not still not sure ;/
2017/04/13 14:29:02
abacab
lonerjack

Yup!  Without a doubt! 

The top benchmark is my SSD, the bottom is my HDD.

I am only running a motherboard with SATA 3Gb/s (300 MB/s) ports, although my drives are capable of 6Gb/s.  So I am hitting a bottleneck on my SSD approaching the speed limit of SATA 3Gb/s. Even at that, it was like getting a new computer when I swapped in the SSD for my boot, Windows 10 now boots in a few seconds.  Same with loading Sonar! 

My 7200RPM HDD does not even come close to maxing out the port speed, due to the spinning disk access time slowing down the data transfer.  Look at the random speed tests (the 2nd and 4th rows of each test).

Is A SATA 3Gb/s Platform Still Worth Upgrading With An SSD?
(There is a benchmark test in this article that shows how even a WD VelociRaptor 10,000RPM drive doesn't stand a chance against SSD.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-upgrade-sata-3gbps,3469.html
2017/04/13 15:55:59
davdud101
lonerjack

I'll admit, personally, the speed difference isn't huge on my end - probably partially because I bought a lower-end Kingston SATA SSD, as well as because I'm not doing anything where I'd be pressed to SEE a huge difference in loading times.
Boots up much quicker now, though!
2017/04/13 16:05:09
mettelus
Side item for small SSDs is that Windows often reserves a swap file equal to available RAM. You may want to lock that to 8GB at first and go from there. In case you look at the C drive and see more used space than expected, check those settings (directory junctions are also useful, but losing 30+ GB to a swap file is painful on a small SSD).
2017/04/23 20:57:59
interpolated
Cost aside, has anybody ever considered using NVME SSD as a drive source. It's still fairly new and expensive obviously. Nevermind if I win some sort of lottery I'll let you know how it goes....;-)

2017/04/25 19:40:16
davdud101
interpolated
Cost aside, has anybody ever considered using NVME SSD as a drive source. It's still fairly new and expensive obviously. Nevermind if I win some sort of lottery I'll let you know how it goes....;-)

I thought heavily about getting one myself. But alas, too few PCIE slots on the motherboard I was getting, so I had to put the idea to the side. It's pretty cost-prohibitive for what I was planning to do anyway.
But if anyone DOES do it, I'm interested too!
2017/04/25 19:49:42
interpolated
For a fairly low cost I can upgrade to a method. Done a bit of research. I have the option of 1 sata based as a boot drive or nvme through a pci e adaptor which will sit in a pic e x4 port. You mount the nvme in the adaptor using stand offs.

Once my main drives are sorted and each part is sorted I will invest in a new motherboard, processor and ram.

Aiming for an lga1151 and 32gb ram. Doing this bit by bit.
2017/04/25 23:29:23
abacab
You may also want to to take a look at this:

CPU Performance vs. Real-Time Performance in Digital Audio Workstations (DAW)
https://youtu.be/GUsLLEkswzE

In the video (at 19:00) it is pointed out that running from a PCIe drive vs. a SATA drive caused spikes in DPC Latency.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account