• Computers
  • Building a DAW - don't forget the video card! (p.2)
2017/04/23 21:05:33
interpolated
I was looking to get a Pali GTX 1050Ti Fanless card. Silence and I don't play games. As long as I have airflow through the case, I don't need the added noise.

I did notice some come with a PWM fan which turns on when a certain temperature is reached however that's not a concern of mine.

2017/04/25 18:59:49
azslow3
interpolated
I was looking to get a Pali GTX 1050Ti Fanless card. Silence and I don't play games. As long as I have airflow through the case, I don't need the added noise.

I did notice some come with a PWM fan which turns on when a certain temperature is reached however that's not a concern of mine.

I took MSI one. It has 2 fans but they turning in case of hard gaming or CUDA 3D rendering only. At least I do not have to think it will be overheated. While "low end", it still can produce 75+ W heat under load. I mean something in the system has to take this heat away. Normally "fanless" solutions (for GPU/CPU/PSU) run the hardware with hi temperature (since there is nothing taking the heat away locally). Theoretically, the hardware is able to work at that temperatures. But practically that is known factor which reduce the lifetime.

But in case you don't play games, why you need a kind of gaming card? As CUDA renderer it is not perfect, without 3D it is the same as $30 fanless NVIDIA (and as was mentioned the same as the latest build-in GPU) but much bigger in size (and price)...

I periodically play relatively old game. That was the primary reason I took it (I also render on it since my desktop CPU is many years old).
2017/04/25 19:05:15
interpolated
I do need a decent gpu. I used an onboard Integrated graphics before alas I kept get screen tears and underwhelming performance under 2d.

I will have case fans so it won't be completely devoid of fans.
2017/04/27 11:33:53
elsongs
My general rule when building a DAW computer: You don't need the fastest video card, but NEVER use the motherboard's on-board video adaptor.
2017/04/27 11:54:29
abacab
elsongs
My general rule when building a DAW computer: You don't need the fastest video card, but NEVER use the motherboard's on-board video adaptor.

The motherboard has no video adapter.  It is built into the CPU, if that feature is present at all.  Intel HD Graphics or AMD APU for example ...
2017/04/27 12:42:26
interpolated
In my case (sic.), the chipset has an onboard Radeon 4200 IGP which is not bad however does share memory (UMA) and basically gives me less RAM. Also I run at 1920x1080 all of the time, so I need pretty good graphics especially when I undock Windows onto my TV screen.

Dedicated graphics means you never need to care about those resources unless you are indeed a gamer. As it goes, most current GPU's are beyond requirement even for modern games.
2017/04/27 13:14:36
abacab
interpolated
In my case (sic.), the chipset has an onboard Radeon 4200 IGP which is not bad however does share memory (UMA) and basically gives me less RAM. Also I run at 1920x1080 all of the time, so I need pretty good graphics especially when I undock Windows onto my TV screen.

Dedicated graphics means you never need to care about those resources unless you are indeed a gamer. As it goes, most current GPU's are beyond requirement even for modern games.

I wasn't aware that AMD apparently made a few chipsets with Radeon graphics.  Have always built with Intel, so not really familiar with AMD architecture.

But recently looked into pricing out AMD components for a new build. Must have overlooked the 8 and 9 series G chipsets ...
2017/04/27 18:18:37
interpolated
To be fair, it's an old motherboard which I am having to retire due to lack of available hardware and replaceable parts in time. Also I want to take advantage of newer hardware.

2017/04/27 18:34:56
abacab
How does 4096x2304 sound? 

Intel® HD Graphics 530

https://ark.intel.com/pro...M-Cache-up-to-4_00-GHz
2017/04/27 22:27:18
tlw
The Intel Iris Pro 6200 can easily run 4096x2304.

The much older (in computing terms) mobile version of the i7 HD4000 graphics can run 2880x1800 and a 1920x1080p (and larger) screen at the same time without breaking into a sweat.

Dedicated gpu cards come into their own for more demanding gaming and the rare applications that use the gpu and its RAM for computational purposes,
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account