• SONAR
  • move an entire arrangement in the timeline
2014/11/13 12:50:06
mdages
Hello Sonar folks,

I'm a german composer for film and media and switched my DAW to Sonar X3 a few months ago.
In the past and currently I have the task to move my entire arrangement in the timeline. Mostly because of some changes in the corresponding movie. For some of my clients the final cut isn't really final.

What's the best practice in Sonar to move a range of an entire arrangment with all tracks, clips and tempo maps to another mark on the timeline? Would be nice if there is a one step solution.

regards
Markus

2014/11/13 12:58:02
John
Be sure the snap to grid is off. Select all and drag it while holding shift where you want it.
2014/11/13 12:59:32
Beagle
you can also insert measures. 

select ALL tracks with CTRL-A
Project > Insert Time/Measures

http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=SONAR%20X2&language=4&help=Dialogs2.015.html
2014/11/13 13:06:25
Kalle Rantaaho
John
Be sure the snap to grid is off. Select all and drag it where you want it.

As there's been lots of threads about this sort of topics, I'd like to get a confirmation: In the present version, does that action move everything? Envelopes, tempo maps/changes - everything. Splitting them at the correct spot etc.?
I've lost count of the details of which method can not move/copy what when :o)
2014/11/13 13:21:16
Kalle Rantaaho
Does "select>all" nowadays really split and move everything? Tempo maps/changes, envelopes - everything.
IIRC, this wasn't the case not so long time ago.
2014/11/13 13:22:42
mdages
@John Thanks, but this was the first I tried. But this don't work. Maybe because of bugs, but always some clips will stay on their old position. Another problem is, that this don't move the tempo map and markers.

@Beagle Thank you too. This seems to work with some rearranging of the movie clip after that.
But, selecting "All" isn't always an option, because sometimes I've only to move a part of the complete project.
And, is there an oposite of inserting. Sometimes I have to move it forward.

-Markus

2014/11/13 13:40:51
robert_e_bone
I insert space (measures) for where things are to be moved TO, and then usually select and edit>cut that which I want to move, and do a paste special to put the selected data into the space I had created to hold the data.

Sometimes, I have to do this when there are meter changes (5/4 to 4/4, 4/4 to 9/8, etc.), and the insert measures seems to take on the meter of the PRIOR measure, and not the NEXT measure, and that means I sometimes have to fart around with getting the hole to be properly sized, but it does not take much to accomplish that - then I delete any extra measures with remove hole.

At times, things seem more complicated than needed, but it does seem to work OK.

Bob Bone

2014/11/13 13:41:56
John
Kalle Rantaaho
John
Be sure the snap to grid is off. Select all and drag it where you want it.

As there's been lots of threads about this sort of topics, I'd like to get a confirmation: In the present version, does that action move everything? Envelopes, tempo maps/changes - everything. Splitting them at the correct spot etc.?
I've lost count of the details of which method can not move/copy what when :o)

You're right. I just tried on a project with all audio. It had not other events. So I don't know. 
2014/11/13 13:50:00
konradh
I have never been able to get tempo changes to move.  I always have to cut and paste them.

For a rock song, that may not be a big deal.  For film, it is a huge pain because sometimes there are very small and frequent tempo changes to make things sync.
2014/11/13 13:53:44
sharke
This has always caused me big problems, especially when there are automation envelopes involved. There should be an intelligent function to move an entire project along the timeline but there isn't.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account