• SONAR
  • move an entire arrangement in the timeline (p.3)
2014/11/14 14:57:14
Beepster
@craig...
Yup... I get all that and I must apologize because I'm probably not really explaining myself in the most effective way (lots of pain last night so not much sleep). Of course all those options are necessary and useful and it's not all that cumbersome to do these tasks if you are aware of everything. Thing is looking at those options can be confusing for beginners. I, now after using the program and studying audio for a few years, can understand what's up and make the correct selections if need be but when first messing around with these concepts it was difficult.

So what I'm suggesting is an alternative method that is subtractive in its approach to what is being manipulated as opposed to additive like the current method. Basically the same box would/could pop up with the same options but everything is selected by default (including the tempo map and everything else). Everything would be automagically split, moved, removed, pasted, etc. It would almost be like editing a single audio track without worrying about all the fiddle faddle. That way dum dums like me or those in need of quick whole project edits like the OP can do so effortlessly. Obviously there would need to be an insert time option for creating specific sized holes but that already exists. Well all of it already exists as you have mentioned. It would just be the way the command is approached by the program.

I personally think it would be a helpful simplification for video stuff like OP is doing and for me personally it would help me for some composition tasks (I like moving entire sections around as I write) and I've also encountered some problems when trying to manipulate and time correct previously recorded material in bulk (like whole studio sessions).

Again... totally not arguing and certainly Sonar can do all this (wouldn't want to suggest otherwise) I just think an alternate "whole project" editing option would be a helpful simplification of what can be a daunting task for us who are still a little shaky on things.

I do look forward to any Tips entry you write on this though because obviously I could use a bit of condensed, logical clarification on the matter.

Hopefully that's a little clearer. Cheers and thanks for the replies.
2014/11/14 14:59:16
John
The important thing is it can be done! The options give it a lot of versatility.   
2014/11/14 15:06:13
Beepster
Oh and any holes created could default to the set project tempo/time sig and manipulated after if need be or set like a usual time insert.

Anyway... I'll go back to my corner and be good. :-p
2014/11/15 22:28:25
swamptooth
Anderton
3. Select all, and drag in the time ruler between the start and end times of the section to be moved. Now all the clips in that section are selected.

I think this item that craig mentioned is where people get hung up.  Select all does not include envelopes.  you MUST to the above step to include envelopes in the selection.  

Sharke, I get where you're coming from especially with soft synths.  One surefire way to make the process easier is to display the synth automation on the synth's midi track instead of the audio track.  that way when you select a clip with underlying automation, the automation is selected as well.  this enables you to drag the clip and automation anywhere in the project.   Selecting is tied to events in a track, so if you select a midi clip and also the synth output audio track, the automation doesn't get selected because there is no audio clip.  I hope that makes sense.  moving the automation to the midi track will enable the automation to be selected when clicking on a clip.
2014/11/16 18:36:45
Larry Jones
Anderton
FYI the clip grouping feature is really helpful when songwriting. You can create "blocks" of chorus, verse, solo, etc. and move around as you work out the arrangement.

Craig, if you're ever looking for a tip topic, I think it would be interesting to read about how you use this technique in songwriting. I  go back and forth between thinking I should stay away from the DAW until I've got the songwriting part finished, or at the other extreme maybe I should use the power of the DAW as part of the writing process. I've had good and bad results both ways, but getting a handle on clip grouping might tip the balance for me...
2014/11/17 14:05:18
Anderton
Not exactly the approach I described, but I think you'll find this article at least thought-provoking about adapting the songwriting process to computers.

At this point I have several methods for songwriting with a computer, and I find songwriting with a computer the most fluid, fast, and inspiration-catching process I've yet found.
2015/06/14 16:47:51
ziki.records@gmail.com
please, how to move song with mutiple tracks and mutiple clips in tracks from location with tempo changes to new placement with one tempo? In fact it is situation when i want to discard tempo changes without  distorting original spacing of clips...
P.
2018/11/15 05:52:12
haandruss
Other DAWs have a playback function that can easily shift parts, but leave them in the base arrangement in the track views until your ready to finalize. I think they call it non-linear playback. Very handy for songwriting and shifting things like AABA to BABA or whatever without doing a lot of drag/drop/cut/paste. I don't know how easy it is, but it seems like you can re-weave your arrangement without changing the tracks themselves and where they are on the timeline, esp. good for EDM, but other genres too. Cakewalk probably just hasn't quite gone all-in on that feature set (yet?). 

2018/11/15 22:10:36
Bristol_Jonesey
You're replying to an older thread when Sonar at that time didn't have Ripple editing

Now that it does, this type of editing is childs play
2018/11/16 13:47:50
JoseC.
This one came up a little late. Shouldn't zombie threads rise by Halloween?
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account