• Computers
  • Where are cmd.exe and cmdkey supposed to reside in Win10? (p.2)
2017/04/11 13:46:51
bitflipper
Yes, it's perfectly safe to rename any instances of cmd.exe to see what happens. If you're lucky, whatever's initiating those DOS windows will then raise an error and thus identify itself.
2017/04/11 13:54:40
glennstanton
rename the the suspect cmd.exe to something like cmd.exe.nop so it wont execute. then if there is a problem you can rename it back...
2017/04/11 18:31:40
abacab
MALWAREBYTES 3.0: Now stronger and smarter
Free trial: https://www.malwarebytes.com/

Our engineers have now made your best defense against advanced threats even better. Malwarebytes 3.0 now offers four malware-fighting modules:
  • Anti-malware
  • Anti-ransomware
  • Anti-exploit
  • Malicious website protection
You have all the best Malwarebytes detection, protection, and malware-removal in one tight package. Stop paying for your old, clunky antivirus.
2017/04/12 02:28:08
outland144k
Thanks, guys. I'll take a shot at it and see what happens. Is there a way to determine where a given process originates from? That'd be a help as well.
2017/04/12 02:49:08
davdud101
Just wanted to put it out there, outland144k - your formatting on posts is awesome. Never seen anyone add a dropcap on a forum before.
2017/04/12 03:42:08
bitflipper
outland144k
Thanks, guys. I'll take a shot at it and see what happens. Is there a way to determine where a given process originates from? That'd be a help as well.

If it's a running process you can see in Task Manager, right-click on it and select Properties.
2017/04/12 18:16:04
outland144k
bitflipper
outland144k

If it's a running process you can see in Task Manager, right-click on it and select Properties.

Thanks again, Bitflipper, Slartabartfast, and Glenn. I've been going into task manager and checking processes. Apple Bonjour may have been a hassle in there. I dind't see a "flying cmd.exe window" after I turned it off. I'm going to try turning off different processes in Task Manager to determine what is really necessary.

Abacab, thanks for the heads-up on Malwarebytes. I've got it already and run it with Norton. 

Davdud, thanks for the comment on my formatting. I'm glad you like it. I think I do it because I used to do calligraphy many years ago. It's just a way of looking at things, you know?
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account