• Software
  • VB3 1.4 is crashing Cakelab hard!!!! (p.3)
2018/07/31 20:34:58
Sidroe
VB3 is the only plug out of hundreds of them on my system that is wrecking everything. I am still highly suspect of a Windows 10 Cumulative Update that was installed just hours before all this turmoil began.
2018/07/31 21:33:35
Sidroe
More info. VB3 is crashing Samplitude X3 as hard as it does CbB!!!!! I could edit and record and tweak all I want but as soon as I hit save, BANG, off the screen back to desktop we go. I reopen Samplitude and no save. More questions than answers.
2018/08/01 02:53:14
DaveClark
Hi Sidroe,

This sounds suspiciously like a memory error to me --- a programming memory error.  It could have been there for a long time, then suddenly was exposed by the Windows update.  What I mean my "programming memory error" is that there may be an attempt to read/write too large a value for the memory allocated, a null pointer, perhaps use of an uninitialized value, and that type of thing.  These are very difficult to locate manually, much easier to isolate with memory checking tools by the progammer (i.e. by Guido).  I myself program all my math routines and technical stuff in Linux, then check for memory errors with valgrind.  When they pass the memory checks, I copy the routines into Windows folders, then use Visual Studio.  Doing this for every routine has saved me countless hours of fruitless troubleshooting.  I don't know what would be comparable for Windows, but you might ask Guido if he's tested for memory errors such as I have described.  Unless he has the specific version of Windows installed that you do on a similar machine, he may never find this problem, nor may anyone else, without a memory checking tool.

Good luck with this problem!

Regards,
Dave Clark
2018/08/01 12:24:47
dcumpian
Have you tried the 32bit version of VB3?

Dan
2018/08/01 13:49:25
Sidroe
Have not tried the 32 bit VB3. But, downloaded the freebie Organized TRIO 3.1 and tried it and it works like a charm. Not that I want to take that many steps back in quality and performance features but I am really scratching my head now that NI B4 32 bit and Organized TRIO, a 32 bit freebie is doing a job that a plug designed for exclusively 64 bit can't handle is beyond me.
BTW, downloaded the demo for VB3-II. It works fine for now but don't feel like I could trust it at this point.
Thanks, Dave! I will pass this info on to Guido and see if there is any progress in that direction.
2018/08/01 14:01:06
dcumpian
Sidroe
Have not tried the 32 bit VB3. But, downloaded the freebie Organized TRIO 3.1 and tried it and it works like a charm. Not that I want to take that many steps back in quality and performance features but I am really scratching my head now that NI B4 32 bit and Organized TRIO, a 32 bit freebie is doing a job that a plug designed for exclusively 64 bit can't handle is beyond me.
BTW, downloaded the demo for VB3-II. It works fine for now but don't feel like I could trust it at this point.
Thanks, Dave! I will pass this info on to Guido and see if there is any progress in that direction.

I had problems with the 64bit version doing periodic noise blasts. The 32bt version works fine and sounds exactly the same as the 64bit version when it works.

Dan
2018/08/01 15:09:38
Sidroe
Are you using JBridge? CbB will show 32 bit VB3 being scanned but it does not show on my instrument list. How exactly are you getting 32 bit VB3 to scan and run in 64 bit Sonar or CbB? BTW, thanks for your help.
2018/08/01 15:57:39
mettelus
If a windows update is the prime suspect, you can back out of those up to 30 days after installation IIRC. If that resolves it (short term), I would then put in a group policy to defer that update pending further resolution.

An OS image monthly also can help in these situations to recover quickly, but would still need to block that update if it did cause the issue.
2018/08/01 16:31:26
retired_account
When I have these types of problems I'll restore a previous back-up. (Acronis or similar, not Windows)
It usually saves me a lot of grief, sometimes the problem is resolved & won't happen when updating again. 
2018/08/01 16:31:53
Sidroe
I am on Windows Home so there is no control over heading off updates. They install with no option to stop them. I tried restoring and for some reason it failed!
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account