2016/06/14 23:01:21
jackroller
I just upgraded to Rapture Pro and I'm getting pretty bad audio pops and crackling with some of the more complex sounds.  I have MMCSS enabled in Sonar, and my CPU isn't even close to spiking.  I also tried changing the 32-bit to 16-bit switch on the element pages, but that doesn't seem to make much of a difference. Is there a low quality mode like in Z3ta+2?

Increasing the audio buffer size to a ridiculously high level (from 64 to 192!!) seems to fix the problem, but I don't understand how that's going to work if I have a project where I'm using Rapture Pro and recording audio without causing latency issues.  

Is there a common way of dealing with this sort of thing that I'm not experienced with?  I'm guessing the answer is going to be to turn up the buffer, freeze the track, and then turn the buffer back down when recording - but that doesn't seem quite right.

Sorry if this is more of a Sonar question than a Rapture Pro question.
2016/06/15 03:45:16
promidi
What sample rate are you projects set to.  Are you using the latest drivers for your MOTU 896mk3 (Which is v4.0.6.6814 for audio and v4.0.5.7483 for the MIDI)
2016/06/15 09:48:44
jackroller
Sample rate is set to 44.1kHz.  (24-bit, with x64 double precision active)  I just downloaded and reinstalled the latest drivers for my 896mk3 and I'm still getting crazy pops and cracks - though it's mostly with Atmospheric sounds.

If anyone from CW is reading this:  To say this is a dealbreaker would be an understatement.  I have no problems running much more complex synths with extreme unison settings (Serum anyone?). So far I'm very disappointed with RPro, even if it was only $40 to upgrade.
2016/06/15 12:52:58
jackroller
Sorry about the sharpness on that last post guys, that was pre-coffee this morning.  For clarification, my other plugins (BFD3, z3ta+2, Serum, Guitar Rig 5, Trilian) all work perfectly with the lowest buffer setting my interface allows (64).  Typically there are zero audio glitches until I spike my CPU out using polyphony or a big unison sound.    

I'm stumped as to why RPro doesn't want to play nice at the same buffer settings.  I tried the same sounds out in RSession and got the same results.   It seems like it's not every  patch that's causing the problems either.  Like I mentioned this morning, the Atmospheric sounds are the main culprits.  Specifically, Atmospheric>Liquid Orchestra 1 does it every time I change a chord.  That particular patch seems to be the most problematic.
2016/06/15 13:30:42
gswitz
Pressing one core can cause the issue. Lots of rapture pro things run on a single core.

Holding notes tends to push the core harder.
2016/06/15 14:30:10
jackroller
That's just the thing, it's not maxing out the core at all.  It's not even close.  It happens most on the attack of the notes whenever I'm playing chords and I switch, not just during sustained parts.  It's an extra random pop and it's only happening with RPro.  
2016/06/15 19:52:01
promidi
Here is something to try.  Now I know this is not a total solution, but at least this way you can save the change in the Rapture Pro patch itself.

There have been times I have encountered slight crackling in some Rapture Pro patches.  What I do there is modify the offending patch to slightly increase (can be very tiny - experiment for best value) the attack of the element's AMP ENV GEN for that patch.  If it's mostly atmospheric patches than the attack required to mitigate the crackling should not even be noticeable to the overall sound.

Once you have made the slight change, you can overwrite the original patch or save it as a new one.  Also, the change to the attack can be easily reversed.
2016/06/15 20:27:24
jackroller
 Thanks.  I had already tried that particular trick, but its just not working.  So far only increasing the audio buffer seems to make any difference.
2016/06/15 20:51:23
promidi
You must be having a strange issue that other people are not having.  Just to confirm, what version and build number of Rapture Pro do you have.  Found by double clicking on the words "RAPTURE PRO" at the top right.  Mine is 2.00.4.25. 

I suspect you would have the latest however, as you say you just upgraded to it...

Others may offer other solutions - like disabling your WIFI i/f, disabling your onboard audio., if you have an nVidia card, disabling your HD audio that's on this card.  Making sure your audio interface is plugged in via port on the PC, not a hub, etc
2016/06/15 21:13:08
jackroller
2.00.4.25  -  I've even reinstalled Rapture Pro just to make sure.  All audio devices are disabled. and I don't have wifi.  Interface is connected straight to the pc.

I've used every trick I know and still can't figure out how to make it work with my normal buffer settings.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account