• Computers
  • My First Audio Workstation Build (p.2)
2017/03/24 09:48:42
olemon
fireberd
Wireless is a known cause of audio dropouts, noise, etc.  If you experience any issues, disable the wireless.  Only use wireless if absolutely only choice.

I'm skipping a wireless card.  The cable modem and router are located in the spare room studio so I'm just connecting a cable to the router when I need web access.

Cactus Music
Just a thought on Power supplies.... DO we really still need 750 watt PS? With all the power saving we get with SSD and whatnot I would think 550 Watt is more than enough. 
It might even be overkill.

I ran a compatibility check at PC Part Picker https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ and a PSU calculator at Cooler Master http://www.coolermaster.com/power-supply-calculator/ which calculated just over 300w. 

2017/03/24 10:28:24
fireberd
"overkill" on a power supply generally equals less heat generated by the power supply.  I used a 650 watt in my new i7 6700K built, but I'm not using a separate video card, just the Intel video in the 6700K which is more than adequate for Sonar or general web surfing.

2017/03/24 14:25:44
Cactus Music
So therefore are larger power supplies quieter? 
I would have thought the oposite
2017/03/24 18:23:25
Bhav
Even an I3 would have been better than an FX CPU for productivity uses.

Edit - it does not have integrated graphics (I thought it did)
2017/03/24 22:07:18
fireberd
If the power supply is working closer to its rated power, generally its hotter (warmer) and thus the cooling fan may be running faster.  My 650 watt fan usually is at a low RPM as the power supply is not pushed.   I've seen some new power supplies that the fan will only run if needed thus even quieter.

My new build for all practical purposes is "dead quiet".  It has a quiet case, quiet power supply and quiet liquid CPU cooler. 
2017/03/24 22:57:20
Cactus Music
Thanks Jack for the clarification. I myself have out of habit gone for larger quiet rated PS. Both my latest builds have 650 watt. I was surprised to see the HP which is a more powerful machine cheeped out with the small PS.. that said, it is a noisy machine. 
That's why we build our own in a nutshell. 
The HP was $1,800 I think. 
2017/03/25 01:33:02
filtersweep
fireberd
If the power supply is working closer to its rated power, generally its hotter (warmer) and thus the cooling fan may be running faster.  My 650 watt fan usually is at a low RPM as the power supply is not pushed.   I've seen some new power supplies that the fan will only run if needed thus even quieter.

My new build for all practical purposes is "dead quiet".  It has a quiet case, quiet power supply and quiet liquid CPU cooler. 

So a 200 W PS delivering 200W will be warmer than a 650W PS delivering 200W? Is that independent of thecefficiency rating of each PS? Just curious.
2017/03/25 01:42:20
Bhav
Cactus Music
So therefore are larger power supplies quieter? 
I would have thought the oposite

This is something I remember reading on PC forums, that if you go overkill on a PSU especially with a eco mode fan, the fan will never have to even turn on.

Unfortunately for me, combining a gaming PC full of fans with recording wasnt too great an idea, however the latest Creative Soundblaster Z cards have an input filter that silences any fan noise so that works.

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account