• Computers
  • Windows 10 'servicing stack' update cripples some PCs
2017/03/17 19:06:39
abacab
Windows 10 'servicing stack' update cripples some PCs

'Come on!!!' rages one Reddit commenter

http://www.itworld.com/article/3181808/microsoft-windows/windows-10-servicing-stack-update-cripples-some-pcs.html

Some users have reported that one of this week's Windows 10 updates crippled their PCs, according to a thread on Reddit.
They fingered the KB4013418 update as the most likely culprit. That update was marked simply as "Update for Windows 10 Version 1607" in Windows Update, and in the accompanying support document, tagged as a "servicing stack update."
2017/03/18 04:32:47
highlandermak
Interesting, I updated my studio with no issues a few days ago however I just updated my laptop tonight and noticing Sonar is extremely laggy all of a sudden. Laggy like I move my cursor around the screen and it doesn't switch to the right tool and trying to navigate is like seeing a video that keeps freezing up.  I wonder if its related.
2017/03/18 09:41:03
jamesg1213
Had that update yesterday, no problems....so far....

2017/03/18 21:28:02
abacab
These types of problems never seem to affect all PC's.  It seems that there is always the possibility that changes only affect certain configurations.  That's probably why the update got released by the MS testers.

I usually wait a few weeks before updating, to let MS fix any discovered problems and re-issue the updates.  And always make a full system image before updating, so a rollback will be painless, if needed.

I looked at the big list of updates this month and there were several updates that I would shy away from, until certain they work OK.  Anytime I see updates to Windows kernel-mode drivers, the Windows kernel, or anything like that I think twice.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4013429/windows-10-update-kb4013429
2017/03/18 22:50:29
JonD
abacab
....  And always make a full system image before updating, so a rollback will be painless, if needed.

+1

I'm still on Win 8.1, and wouldn't feel safe without my regular backup images.  In fact, backup images have been saving my bacon for about two decades now.

Given Win 10's rather quirky nature with updates, the first screen of the installation should read:  "DON'T EVEN THINK OF INSTALLING THIS UNTIL YOU'VE DONE A SYSTEM IMAGE!".

And no, folks, System Roulette, er, I mean, Restore, doesn't count!
2017/03/18 23:00:37
abacab
Yup!  I do a monthly cycle now.  Take one image before updating (I do Windows and Splat updates around the same time).  Then update.  Take a second image with the updates applied. 

1. If an update related problem is discovered, roll back to image #1.

2. If updates are good, but something bad happens to Windows later during the month, roll back to image #2.

2017/03/19 11:13:11
fireberd
So far, no problems with any Win 10 update, including the latest.  I even have the advanced Win 10 "Insider Preview" (beta) version (on dual boot) and I have Sonar installed on that and it works OK. 
2017/03/31 09:36:44
Shambler
A couple of days ago my PC did an update and shut down.

Will see what happens this evening when I turn it back on
2017/03/31 10:40:47
fireberd
An update on my previous post.  I now have the "Creators" edition on my Insider's version (dual boot with regular Win 10 Pro for my production).  No problems with the Creators edition, Sonar runs OK, Latency Mon shows no problems, etc.
2017/03/31 13:38:04
abacab
Shambler
A couple of days ago my PC did an update and shut down.

Will see what happens this evening when I turn it back on

Good luck, I hope it's OK!  If not, try to start Windows in safe mode and uninstall the update, then run system restore to a restore point taken prior to the update.

That's the reason I take a Windows boot disk image at least once a month.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account