• Computers
  • Windows 10 'servicing stack' update cripples some PCs (p.2)
2017/04/01 21:36:57
abacab
I finally got around to installing the March 2017 updates for Windows 10.  No problems here.

Microsoft did release an out-of-band update fix on March 20th.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4015438/windows-10-update-kb4015438
https://www.tenforums.com/windows-10-news/79808-cumulative-update-kb4015438-windows-10-v1607-build-14393-969-a.html

2017/04/02 06:27:40
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Yes that was discussed over in the Sonar forum. That update is mandatory if you have done the previous win10 update as it broke functionality related to mp3, mp4 and Sonar browser with mp3
2017/04/02 12:54:02
abacab
Yup!  Another "sound" reason to wait for a few weeks after the MS updates are released.  Let the early adopters beta test them for you!
2017/04/02 17:09:07
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
abacab
Yup!  Another "sound" reason to wait for a few weeks after the MS updates are released.  Let the early adopters beta test them for you!

that's why I keep the main DAW offline and only update after certain periods ... with Sonar it easy to wait and install a little later, but with win10 when you go for updating it gives you all thats new (including the latest crap), so can I select only the settled down proven-to-work update content?
2017/04/02 17:29:55
abacab
Rob[atSound-Rehab]
abacab

that's why I keep the main DAW offline and only update after certain periods ... with Sonar it easy to wait and install a little later, but with win10 when you go for updating it gives you all thats new (including the latest crap), so can I select only the settled down proven-to-work update content?

If you have Win 10 Pro, you can use Local Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc from the run box) to set automatic updates to "off".  Once you have done this, you will need to click on the "Check for updates" button to see any new updates.  The only thing, is that this will still bring the whole pile rolling down the chute, but at least you know when it's coming, LOL!!! 

For example: Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update > “Configure Automatic Updates”

“If the status for this policy is set to Disabled, any updates that are available on Windows Update must be downloaded and installed manually. To do this, search for Windows Update using Start.”

What I do first before I check for updates, is run a little relatively off the radar Microsoft utility called "Show or Hide Updates" *(wushowhide.diagcab).  This runs a check for updates (without downloading any), and you can then tick off boxes for any updates you wish to hide from Windows Update.  I usually hide any device driver updates, or Silverlight, for example ... or any other known bad updates waiting for a fix.

That way when I check for updates, I only get what I want it to see.

*Tutorial for wushowhide "Show or Hide updates":
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/8280-hide-show-windows-updates-windows-10-a.html
2017/04/03 06:44:25
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
abacab
If you have Win 10 Pro, you can use Local Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc from the run box) to set automatic updates to "off".  Once you have done this, you will need to click on the "Check for updates" button to see any new updates.  The only thing, is that this will still bring the whole pile rolling down the chute, but at least you know when it's coming, LOL!!! 

For example: Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update > “Configure Automatic Updates”

“If the status for this policy is set to Disabled, any updates that are available on Windows Update must be downloaded and installed manually. To do this, search for Windows Update using Start.”

that's what I do ... but as said this gives the all updates at once, not option to decide ...

abacab 
What I do first before I check for updates, is run a little relatively off the radar Microsoft utility called "Show or Hide Updates" *(wushowhide.diagcab).  This runs a check for updates (without downloading any), and you can then tick off boxes for any updates you wish to hide from Windows Update.  I usually hide any device driver updates, or Silverlight, for example ... or any other known bad updates waiting for a fix.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/8280-hide-show-windows-updates-windows-10-a.html

that's a good one. thanks a ton. downloaded and tried it. i will use that to remain a little behind updates.
2017/04/03 07:58:19
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab

interesting, this "Show or Hide Updates" tool reports a number of driver updates which do not show up e.g. when queried for in the device manager. how come ...???
2017/04/03 13:45:54
abacab
Rob[atSound-Rehab]

interesting, this "Show or Hide Updates" tool reports a number of driver updates which do not show up e.g. when queried for in the device manager. how come ...???

That's a good question.  Mine looks about the same.  I hid 'em all.

My first rule is to only get your drivers from your system or hardware OEM, and never Microsoft, unless it is a peripheral like a mouse, keyboard, printer, or something like that.

The Intel stuff should come from your mobo manufacturer, unless it's end of life and you can get it direct from Intel instead.  If it ain't broke, it probably don't need fixin'

Graphics and audio drivers should come from their respective sources.

I don't trust Microsoft to match up my system hardware ID with some database somewhere and decide what drivers I should be running.  Arrggghhh!!!
2017/04/03 17:12:09
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Thanks for your feedback. I will stick to that.
2017/04/03 17:15:13
abacab
Rob[atSound-Rehab]

abacab 

that's a good one. thanks a ton. downloaded and tried it. i will use that to remain a little behind updates.

And wushowhide really rocks!!! 
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account