• Software
  • What's the Trouble With Studio One and MIDI?
2017/11/24 00:37:51
Larry Jones
I've installed the demo but I can't get to it until the weekend. I keep hearing "...the MIDI implementation will be a disappointment after SONAR." Is this true? What is it that doesn't work? I don't do orchestral stuff. I'm a guitar player, so I mostly use MIDI bass, piano and synth pads. What should I be testing for?

Hope I'm phrasing my question right. Thanks!
2017/11/24 00:39:25
Karyn
Sonar was built from the core of a Midi sequencer that had audio added to it.

Studio One was written for audio and has very limited Midi by comparison.
2017/11/24 00:48:46
dwardzala
But what exactly does that mean  What is limited about it or what does Sonar have that S1 doesn't?
2017/11/24 00:49:20
Resonant Serpent
The bottom line is that it lacks a lot of the functions that have been available in Sonar for a long time. As far as bugs go, the current updates to lower the latency of the audio engine when used in conjunction with their Quantum interfaces has left a few hiccups. Copy/paste and rendering when using automation is hit or miss. Also, the program skips reading random midi notes since the last update. Studio One has great development though, and I'm sure they'll get it sussed. 

To expand the MIDI functionality of Studio One, check out the Studio One X addon.*

*(I originally posted the link to Studio One X, but it looks like the site has been gone for days)

If you're seriously into MIDI, you're much better off with Cubase. The timing and functionality has been rock solid here.

2017/11/24 00:52:40
Primetime
Larry,
I you're a guitar player who uses basic midi for bass, piano and softsynths, don't panic, Studio One is more than capable, I've been using it off and on for some time now, and haven't had any issues
2017/11/24 00:53:47
Karyn
I've been talking to Rick Naqvi, VP of sales at PreSonus.  They will be announcing a special offer for Sonar users on Tuesday.

2017/11/24 01:09:54
Larry Jones
Karyn
I've been talking to Rick Naqvi, VP of sales at PreSonus.  They will be announcing a special offer for Sonar users on Tuesday.

Isn't that the day after their $199 Black Friday deal expires? Why do these decisions always have to be made so difficult?

2017/11/24 01:12:46
lawajava
dwardzala
But what exactly does that mean  What is limited about it or what does Sonar have that S1 doesn't?

A lot more depth in MIDI in Sonar and in Cubase. An example would be if you have an external MIDI device and you want to control some of the routing or patch selection of an external device (or devices), or different MIDI channels of them, from within the DAW. This is something Sonar and Cubase can easily do. That's just one example. If you're only using softsynths within the DAW then this is not as much of a factor.
2017/11/24 01:24:58
Rasure
Does anyone happen to know the midi clock PPQN of S1? did a google search but couldn't really find anything.
2017/11/24 01:36:32
It depends on what you want, for me I can do everything I desire, then I'm not that heavy into midi,  but I do Drums and a bit of keyboard/synth stuff, I have no issues with it. The BEST and ONLY thing to do is find out for YOURSELF, try it, don't worry about what anyone else says, either negative or positive, THEY are not YOU. If it happens not to suit your needs, try something else, you will find something suitable.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account