• Software
  • What's the Trouble With Studio One and MIDI? (p.16)
2018/01/05 18:00:51
WallyG
batsbrew
there doesn't seem to be ANY trouble with studio one and midi............?!

I've looked high and low and I can't find any problems with MIDI in Studio One. In fact, I like it better than Sonar's implementation, especially the way they do Continuous Controller change lanes.

Walt
2018/01/05 19:22:10
CTStump
Studio One does support midi plugins, in round about way. I have used the Sonar MIDI plugins and kirnu cream(http://www.kirnuarp.com) but in it's own track.

The way to do it is load the plugin to it's own track(drag it to an open space) then in the track with the instrument you want it control set the input to the track with the plugin track. When you monitor make sure both tracks are active and the keyboard is set on the plugin track and any events are recorded to that track. You can automate both tracks so there is that benefit at least. Kinda like Sonar in reverse two tracks however the MIDi is on both if you make the input set the same.

It's really not too complicated. There is a way of doing a track to accept both the instrument and the plugin but it only works if the plugin is audio such as the old Revalver plugin(which I set up) by creating an instrument track than dropping the plugin on it,removing the instrument than dragging back to browser then dragging it back in on an audio track then Revalver will work.

There are ways to work around the handicaps within Studio One but it would be nice if they come up with a sensible way of doing MIDI plugins.
2018/01/06 15:35:16
anydmusic
WallyG
batsbrew

I've looked high and low and I can't find any problems with MIDI in Studio One. In fact, I like it better than Sonar's implementation, especially the way they do Continuous Controller change lanes.

Walt

Glad that it works for you.
2018/01/06 22:51:59
tenfoot
WallyG
batsbrew

Walt

It is not that there is anything wrong with what is there. It is functional. It is just that it is not enough for some users. The graphic CC change display is useful for some purposes. For I others, it is a hot, fiddly mess, and a simple midi event list would be a far more effective tool.
2018/01/06 23:35:22
igiwigi
NO SYS EX that is the trouble with Studio 1
2018/01/07 01:52:55
tenfoot
anydmusic
tenfoot
soens
A bit expensive ($149, $249, or $349) if you just want patch name capability, which Sonar already does.

I know it does a lot more but I already have a FREE patch/sequence editor for my rig.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the idea of this as a replacement for Instrument definitions a bit misleading? For one thing, it seems that this is in fact desgined to streamline the process of setting up definitions (patch name export), not replace it.

I certainly don't see Midi Quest as a replacement for good instrument definitions, I like that it makes managing them easy in Sonar but the fact that the process is convoluted in Cubase to the point where keeping them updated will require a bit more manual effort is not going to stop me using them and start having Midi Quest active when I don't need to.

I use Instrument Definitions to help me quickly find a sound that I can use that is already loaded in one of the modules that I have.

I use Midi Quest to edit the sounds and manage what is loaded in the modules.

If I have understood correctly Jeff is advocating a different workflow where sound selection is handled outside of the DAW using an Editor accessed by switching programs. Even though using Midi Quest I would only need one Editor that approach would not work for me.

I have Midi Quest version  11.0.3 which is the latest and is dated 2013 so a few years since the last update. I would agree that the website looks dated.

Makes perfect sense Graham. If they ever have a sale I will give it a run. I guess given that this software is really geared towards older hardware the lack of updates isnt that surprising. If it aint broke....:)

2018/01/07 02:19:52
CTStump
igiwigi
NO SYS EX that is the trouble with Studio 1

There is no MIDI in Studio One, in theory it interprets MIDI so messages are treated as a complete and different language and utilized in a way that mimics MIDI. It is also higher resolution than the MIDI Standard in control resolution instead of 0-127 it's 0-65,000+.

Sysex dumps are not interpreted at the moment but are being requested so may happen, may not.

External hardware sound genetator's are becoming less important as Software VSTi's so it may not be at the top of the list of priority's. Not to say it shouldn't be considered but in this day and age it really isn't that high so in my opinion their development resources should be devoted to more needed attention to functionality.

I know I will called out on this by some saying they absolutely can not work without saving a SYSEX dump(Live Sonar users and project studio's, Producer's)with their projects but why not just render the track like any studio would do. They wouldn't keep a SYSEX file in the master just a render unless they have a headsup on a future remix, even then there would be notes of settings including patch info, etc..

I would suggest not using Studio One solely if that is essential to your work and use Sonar as that can accept dumps. Shouldn't be stopping anyone from having both in "This day and age".
2018/01/07 06:38:57
tenfoot
In this day and age, why do people still assume midi is only used to control synths?

Rhetorical question. Software is never improved by defending its limitations.
2018/01/14 02:18:38
Jeff Evans
A powerful editor would easily be a substitute for instrument definitions.  After all you are wanting to select patches and maybe edit them in some way and an editor can do that in spades.  I have several and I am doing that now.  Even though editors are using SYSEX to communicate with the synths they can be used in tandem with Studio One. You can define the same midi ports from Studio One and an editor to the one synth. They will both happily talk to it.

I agree though that Quest currently is not an ideal solution for a few reasons.  One is that it is very expensive and what if you only need a few editors instead of the ten thousand they give you for the full price.  And also as some have said here they are not fully up to date with the latest hardware synths either.  Although probably being addressed in the new version to come.

They need a different business model because I have say 4 editors or so now and might only need another 3. There needs to be a cheaper way to able to just buy a few of them. 

To those who think hardware synths have gone away they are wrong.  2017 was a bumper year for hardware synth releases.

And also to those who are concerned about the non musical uses for midi then it is a moot point.  After all it was invented for musical reasons first.  Granted it has been used for other applications and that is great but not a good a good reason to knock a DAW just because to cannot handle another use that only very very very few are needing. Then you get the DAW that can do it.  Simple as that.

If Presonus are developing further midi development in Studio One it will be for musical reasons first. That is for sure and rightly so.
2018/01/14 13:00:57
Snehankur
I am not being able to drive external MIDI instrument.

I hae a Roland A800 and Yamaha Motif Rack connected to my DAW PC
I have tested with MIDI-OX. I can play the Motif From A800.
In SO3 -I have taken an Instrument Track
Input A800. Output Motif.
MIDI part got recorded from A800 without routing to Motif, thus no sound.
While playback the same.

I am not being able to configure, I think.
Any help please.

Regards
Snehankur
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account