• Software
  • What's the Trouble With Studio One and MIDI? (p.17)
2018/01/14 13:39:22
Jeff Evans
In Studio One you need to create an external instrument e.g. the Motif Rack. It seems you have correctly created a controller device. Have you created an instrument device now which allows you to send to the Motif. The icon has the slider and the two knobs on it. This is an instrument. Not the keyboard icon. That represents a controller sending into Studio One. You now have to set up and instrument to receive data from Studio One. In the SEND TO box you need to assign the Motif rack there.

During recording you have to have the input monitoring on i.e. the little blue button on the track header in order to hear it. Having the record button engaged will only record the data but not pass it on to the synth. Playback should be fine though without input monitoring on.

I see that you have asked on the Presonus forum as well. That is good.

2018/01/14 14:02:25
Blades
A little input here from someone who is working with no external instruments except my drum brain, which happens to be a Pearl Mimic Pro at the moment (coming from Rolad TD-20).  I never found Instrument Definitions to be terribly useful, but only really ever had one "external" synth, which was ironically on a card inside the computer and  used an editor for it, which was WAY better.  In that case, it was XGEdit for an old SW1000XG card and it worked so much better than any of the instrument definitions or Sonar control panels (can't even remember what they were called, but we ugly and clunky at best).

All that said, I will truly miss the Cakewalk drum maps.  I used them for every recording for the midi data I recorded from my Drums.  In Studio One (which I am adapting to), there are maps to a degree - you can map the notes to names and a few basic things, but the parts I see most missing are:

Notes that have no "length".  Drum notes don't have duration and don't need to be shown as such.
Velocity tags ON the note instead of just in the controller pane at the bottom are very useful for quick and accurate adjustments.
BIG: Limiting the notes shown in the midi view to ONLY those that are mapped is a HUGE help in looking at a drum track rather than having to see all of the in between notes that will never be used/recorded.

I didn't really use the IN to OUT mapping to change one note to another to control different sample libraries or instruments, though I'm sure that those were useful to others.

I will try to put in a FR over at Presonus, but it doesn't seem likely that I'll get a lot of ground there since there is an overwhelming amount of Sonar Whining over there as it is and I've had issues even getting Sonar folks to adopt the Drum Maps.  I even created tutorial videos on how to use the feature, how to set it up, etc, but lots of people still stuck to the old Split Notes to Tracks CAL, which is far inferior in my opinion.
2018/01/14 23:27:28
Jeff Evans
Drum mapping can be achieved using the chorder midi effect. There is a video on it somewhere. Instead of one note triggering a chord, one note can easily also be set to trigger another note.

If you have many midi notes in one event it is possible to just highlight say all the kick drums only. They turn to a bright colour while all the others are greyed out. Meaning making it very easy to just edit the kick drums if you want to. 

In the Musical functions menu there are options to delete short notes and also delete double notes.  In the delete double notes mode though only one of the doubles is deleted and the other is left behind.  Double notes can happen for a variety of reasons.  The main one being some sort of midi loop being setup and an input note trigger causing a second note at the same time to be recorded.

2018/01/15 02:53:41
Blades
Jeff.... Nice workarounds for parts of the drum map concept. Please check out the video on my web site for the way that an older version through current of sonar handles drums maps.

The main things I am looking for are listed above and I found that there is actually already a fr for it asking for similar things with 250 or so votes.
2018/02/03 12:32:53
Snehankur
Jeff Evans
In Studio One you need to create an external instrument e.g. the Motif Rack. It seems you have correctly created a controller device. Have you created an instrument device now which allows you to send to the Motif. The icon has the slider and the two knobs on it. This is an instrument. Not the keyboard icon. That represents a controller sending into Studio One. You now have to set up and instrument to receive data from Studio One. In the SEND TO box you need to assign the Motif rack there.

During recording you have to have the input monitoring on i.e. the little blue button on the track header in order to hear it. Having the record button engaged will only record the data but not pass it on to the synth. Playback should be fine though without input monitoring on.

I see that you have asked on the Presonus forum as well. That is good.

Thank you Jeff.
Its working fine.
Regards
Snehankur
2018/08/01 00:08:09
Craigster91
Amicus717

...For what it is worth, though, SO3's midi implementation is an exercise in concise brilliance when compared to Samplitude's. I own Samplitude, and have used it enough to develop a good basic understanding of it, so I figured it might be worth trying as a primary replacement for Sonar. So I've been really digging into the program this week. Tonight, I spent an hour trying to figure out how to set up a multitimbral instance of Kontakt, and I thought at one point I was going to have an aneurism. The GUI designers at Samplitude put extra effort into making the process as unintuitive as possible without actually breaking the software. 

Whoah! Here's a TIP worth applying: 
If there is any Samplitude feature you don't know how to use, spend the first 10 minutes searching for and then watching a Kraznet video where he explains how to do it. Then spend the rest of your hour using the feature and enjoying Samplitude (instead of banging your head). 
For Multi-Outs using Kontakt, see this: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXQrHfiOpH8

And then get back to work!
:^)
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account