• Software
  • What's the Trouble With Studio One and MIDI? (p.4)
2017/11/24 17:02:05
dwardzala
I gave the demo a quick test drive (like 30 minutes) on my laptop (not at my studio at the moment.)  I had no trouble getting some AD midi sequences to play or adding a soft synth (SI -Electric Piano.)  I would recommend trying out the demo - it doesn't take long t download and install assuming a decent internet connection. 
2017/11/24 17:09:01
greg54
In S1 are you able to go into MIDI and edit time and velocity?   And is it easy to do?

Greg
2017/11/24 17:16:18
Thedoccal
Yes and yes.
2017/11/24 17:16:45
kapelle
greg54
In S1 are you able to go into MIDI and edit time and velocity?   And is it easy to do?

Greg

I just downloaded the demo last night, created a midi track, you click the track and instantly the window pops up where you can edit midi just like sonar. You really have to download the demo and try it yourself.
2017/11/24 17:16:55
hbarton
skinnybones lampshade
Well, for me the absence of ARA is the major, probably eliminating, negative about Cubase. I use Melodyne Editor often, and it's frustrating when it doesn't integrate smoothly.

***So, since S1 does have full integration with Melodyne, I'm wondering if anybody would know about S1 and whether it offers these more trivial (yet still coveted by me) features:

1) Varispeed (the "chipmunk effect" originally achieved by recording with the tape running slower and then playing back at normal speed) ?

You can change the temp of a song but there is no dial if that is what you need.

2) Negative measure numbering (The ability to have measure one in the DAW line up with measure one in the written score; if there's material played in the measure before the downbeat of measure one, it's displayed as occurring in measure negative 1, and not as if it is played in measure (positive) 1.) ?

You can slip tracks to the right in the console and open areas to the left if that is what you need to do.

3) Custom track colour strips (I think the answer to this one is yes, but from quick peeks at Studio One this morning, the overall "look" of Studio One does seem a bit chaotic.) ?

Yes many colors are available (there are no "skin" options). 

4) Are the menus intuitive?

In my opinion yes, but you need to spend some time to answer that for yourself. 

I know this question is impossible to answer objectively, but maybe someone might have an opinion on the following scenario: Let's say a musician inexperienced with recording on any DAW has the chance to use either Sonar Platinum or Studio One Pro for an evening.

I would check out the many videos on Youtube as well as anything available from Groove3. There is a are a number of good training videos from Johnie Geib at HomeStudioTrainer.com.

Hope that helps! 

h

He or she hopes to record (alone) a fairly simple short song including, say, acoustic guitar, bass, piano, a couple of voices and a Kontakt synth patch, maybe just add a little reverb, then mix and export the resulting song.

Which DAW would likely take him/her less time to work out how to achieve this, Sonar Platinum or Studio One Pro?*** 

I can use Sonar pretty well (ok, I admit it, not really ) but I'm wondering whether Studio One may be relatively more or less complicated (difficult to "get going" with) overall.

Thanks for wading through this!
LJ

2017/11/24 17:18:36
jackson white
From the PreSonus Forum

"I was commenting on S1's ability to remain competitive when it comes to the feature set, which is sorely lacking in many areas compared to the competition, particularly on the MIDI side of things. The slow development time combined with the radio silence is just frustrating. I feel like S1 just needs a really solid MIDI release, and to kill off a few longstanding FR's like Mixer Undo, Track Notes and an improved Tempo View and it would essentially be perfect. Narech is filling in some of the gaps on the MIDI side of things, while adding some cool functionality outside of the scripts, but this is all stuff I'd just like to see Presonus handle themselves (and do better frankly). 

I'm just getting impatient for a new release I guess. I'm still a fan of this DAW big time due to the workflow and stability, but just want to see the pace of development increase. I'm sure if I were using Cubase I'd be complaining about their poor VCA fader implementation or something else..."

I've taken a quick look at their Reference Manual. It says enough of the right things, but nothing like actual hands on use for my particular way-of-working to know for sure.

Looking for videos for a specific use case, such as setting up a drum map and creating/editing MIDI clips. 
2017/11/24 17:26:29
kapelle
Why is everybody reading manuals and watching videos? Download the free demo and get your hands on it!!!!!!!
2017/11/24 17:33:25
batsbrew
how easy is it, to setup Toontracks Superior Drummer to work properly in Studio One 3 pro?

that, and a maudio keyrig, are the only 'midi' items i need full control of.
2017/11/24 17:43:43
dwardzala
batsbrew
how easy is it, to setup Toontracks Superior Drummer to work properly in Studio One 3 pro?

that, and a maudio keyrig, are the only 'midi' items i need full control of.

It looks like there is a 5 minute video on YouTube showing how to set up Superior Drums.  I didn't watch it, but I am guessing if it can be explained in 5 minutes, its not that hard.
2017/11/24 17:44:00
skinnybones lampshade
Thank you for that quick, informative response, hbarton. It's much appreciated.:)

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account