• Software
  • What's the Trouble With Studio One and MIDI? (p.5)
2017/11/24 17:59:23
denverdrummer
jackson white
From the PreSonus Forum

"I was commenting on S1's ability to remain competitive when it comes to the feature set, which is sorely lacking in many areas compared to the competition, particularly on the MIDI side of things. The slow development time combined with the radio silence is just frustrating. I feel like S1 just needs a really solid MIDI release, and to kill off a few longstanding FR's like Mixer Undo, Track Notes and an improved Tempo View and it would essentially be perfect. Narech is filling in some of the gaps on the MIDI side of things, while adding some cool functionality outside of the scripts, but this is all stuff I'd just like to see Presonus handle themselves (and do better frankly). 

I'm just getting impatient for a new release I guess. I'm still a fan of this DAW big time due to the workflow and stability, but just want to see the pace of development increase. I'm sure if I were using Cubase I'd be complaining about their poor VCA fader implementation or something else..."

I've taken a quick look at their Reference Manual. It says enough of the right things, but nothing like actual hands on use for my particular way-of-working to know for sure.

Looking for videos for a specific use case, such as setting up a drum map and creating/editing MIDI clips. 

If you want pace of development to increase, I'd suggest looking for another DAW.  S1 is great for what it is, and for 90% of folks it's good enough.  I amazed at the feature set it does have for as short as it's been around but PreSonus in general don't have big development staffs.  Heck they can't even support their interfaces properly with driver updates.  I had the AudioBox 1818VSL which became a paperweight if you had a USB 3.0 with an intel chipset. and people waited well over a year for a fix.

You have to understand that S1 was developed to ensure quality/usability with their interfaces and live mixing consoles.  Prior to Studio One they used to bundle with Cubase Elements, and they couldn't sell a 32 input mixing console and package it with a limited Cubase Elements.

There was nearly three years between v1 and v2 and four years between v2 and v3.  3.5 just came out and the cool thing is they don't charge for the .5 releases (which Cubase does), but the philosophy of Studio One is give people just enough of what they need, make it stable.  I wouldn't expect SO4 until 2019 or 2020.  That is just their development cycle.
2017/11/24 18:30:19
doncolga
kapelle
soens
I find setting up MIDI and instruments in SO3 is a bit convoluted compared with Sonar. It can be done but there's a learning curve.

Huh? Are we working with the same software? I downloaded the studio one demo tonight, grabbed an instrument, dragged it into the workspace and instantly created a track - it is literally a hundred times easier and more intuitive than sonar.

I was thinking the same thing here.  You drag it to a track and you're done.  Nothing hard about it at all.  I've found Studio One way more intuitive, even after the time I had with Sonar.
2017/11/24 18:38:11
outland144k
Larry Jones
Karyn
I've been talking to Rick Naqvi, VP of sales at PreSonus.  They will be announcing a special offer for Sonar users on Tuesday.

Isn't that the day after their $199 Black Friday deal expires? Why do these decisions always have to be made so difficult?

+1
2017/11/24 18:46:21
konradh
Find/Replace (formerly known as Interpolate) is an extremely important MIDI function for me.  Is this available in Cubase (under some name)?
2017/11/24 20:51:22
hbarton
greg54
In S1 are you able to go into MIDI and edit time and velocity?   And is it easy to do?

Greg

Yes - double click a midi track and the Event window will open a piano roll - velocity can be adjusted at the bottom and timing can changed there as well. Again I am not a power user of the MIDI stuff.

Hope that helps,

h
2017/11/24 22:16:09
aghschwabe
The random note moves were maddening. What killed me was (even today) I'll lay down a few bars of a MIDI instrument for a loop. When I convert the midi clip to a groove clip, it adds a few ticks and it's never in sync. It drives me crazy. I've already learned on S1 that you type "D" for each copy you want to add to the timeline.

I do miss the live preview where you can start in the middle of measure and SONAR picks up the complete audio from that point. But so far, that's the only thing I've felt like I'm missing.
2017/11/24 22:36:50
jude77
I downloaded the demo of S1.  I have yet to crack the manual, but right now I'm doing everything in S1 midi-wise that was in SONAR (record/edit noes lengths/pitches/velocity).  Function wise they seem the same, but SONAR was more "elegant" if that says anything.
2017/11/24 23:10:26
mixmkr
I'm not seeing how to do multiple tracks to line things up in S1.    like lining up a bass to a kick drum.  Only one track at a time.  Probably something easy I'm missing but there are 100 other easy things I'm currently not getting either.  Seems like Sonar, 3 years ago though.

2017/11/24 23:49:10
soens
doncolga
kapelle
soens
I find setting up MIDI and instruments in SO3 is a bit convoluted compared with Sonar. It can be done but there's a learning curve.

Huh? Are we working with the same software? I downloaded the studio one demo tonight, grabbed an instrument, dragged it into the workspace and instantly created a track - it is literally a hundred times easier and more intuitive than sonar.

I was thinking the same thing here.  You drag it to a track and you're done.  Nothing hard about it at all.  I've found Studio One way more intuitive, even after the time I had with Sonar.

Obviously the same software, but apparently doing different things.  Read the 1st page of this thread. Try "dragging" a real synth into a track, or setting it up to access device specific voices, etc. Not nearly as straight forward as Sonar.
2017/11/24 23:55:00
hbarton
mixmkr
I'm not seeing how to do multiple tracks to line things up in S1.    like lining up a bass to a kick drum.  Only one track at a time.  Probably something easy I'm missing but there are 100 other easy things I'm currently not getting either.  Seems like Sonar, 3 years ago though.

Do you have your Snap set correctly? Look for Snap above the timeline - there is a number of options in the drop down.

Take care,
h

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account