• Software
  • What's the Trouble With Studio One and MIDI? (p.6)
2017/11/25 03:00:55
bitflipper
What mixmkr is asking about is showing/editing multiple MIDI tracks in one PRV window. I haven't been able to figure that out, either, although I have to imagine it's possible.
2017/11/25 03:54:12
mixmkr
thx Bit... 
I imagine at the Presonus forums...there's going to be a flood of these "newbie" type questions, from people exhausted from reading the manual and just want a quick, clear answer!!

What would be cool over there is a "I'm from Sonar DAW" subgroup.  Fielding all these basic questions that are hidden deep in the bowels of the program.
Hard to stop messing with S1 but gotta hop on the BLack Friday stuff too.   All these new toys...
2017/11/25 04:19:39
Resonant Serpent
bitflipper
What mixmkr is asking about is showing/editing multiple MIDI tracks in one PRV window. I haven't been able to figure that out, either, although I have to imagine it's possible.

When dealing with MIDI clips in S1, F2 is your friend. If you double-click a clip, only that clip will open, and it will be the default "zoomed out" view. If you highlight the clip, and press F2, it will open your clip in the PRV and bring up the PRV settings that you previously set while working. To add a clip to that one open PRV, press shift and click on the clip in the Track View you want to add. Both will appear in the window. Once you have multiple clips open, you can use Track List in the PRV to show/unshow, or click on the pencil in the Track View to lock that clips MIDI notes. Also, click on the empty space in a clip in the PRV, and it will highlight that clip so you can see the boundaries.
2017/11/25 04:26:06
mixmkr
aaahhh...HUGE thanks!  Have extra pecan pie on me!!

2017/11/25 04:29:00
Resonant Serpent
Thank you! Pecan is my favorite.
2017/11/25 04:38:25
hbarton
mixmkr
thx Bit... 
I imagine at the Presonus forums...there's going to be a flood of these "newbie" type questions, from people exhausted from reading the manual and just want a quick, clear answer!!

What would be cool over there is a "I'm from Sonar DAW" subgroup.  Fielding all these basic questions that are hidden deep in the bowels of the program.
Hard to stop messing with S1 but gotta hop on the BLack Friday stuff too.   All these new toys...

Hi,
I will make the suggestion over on the Presonus forum. I'm not a Studio One tech but will try to help where I can answer a question when I can. Since it is the holiday many from Presonus probably took a well deserved long weekend (but there are still some holding the fort it seems). I did notice that one of the moderators (jpettit) set up a greeting page here:
https://forums.presonus.com/viewtopic.php?f=151&t=27570&p=153954#p153954

Probably will not answer all questions, but be a good subgroup starting point for a folks coming from Cake.
2017/11/25 05:00:14
Amicus717
- duplicate -
2017/11/25 05:04:05
Amicus717
- Duplicate - 
2017/11/25 05:05:56
Amicus717
I took my first look at the SO3 demo the other night, and chimed in early in this thread about the midi implementation being okay in parts, but clumsier than Sonar's. This evening I fired up SO3 again and took another crack at it, and found it much easier to deal with. I am an ITB guy completely, and I have very particular ways of working and setting up my tracks, and now that I've spent some time getting used to SO3's approach and overall vibe, I actually had a lot less difficulty getting going tonight than I did the other day. 

Couple of reasons for that, I think: a) simply the fact that there is a learning curve and you need to start working your way around it, and b) last night I was already cranky and unfocused by the time I got to SO3, after spending the better part of two hours trying to wrestle Samplitude into submission -- on top of being pretty down in the dumps over Cakewalk's demise. So I was not really in any mood to be receptive to a new DAW, or unravel a different style of implementing it.

I am a bit more impressed with SO3 tonight, and had much better results. Felt I should mention that. A lot of us are sort of casting about for answers after this week's sad news, and are trying to figure out how to best proceed in uncertain times, and I didn't want to cast an unfairly negative light on a potential solution. I am probably going to stick with Sonar until the end (whenever that comes), but after tonight, I wouldn't write SO3 off as a potential option, should the need arise down the road.
2017/11/25 05:33:39
mixmkr
hbarton
mixmkr
thx Bit... 

Hi,
I will make the suggestion over on the Presonus forum. I'm not a Studio One tech but will try to help where I can answer a question when I can. Since it is the holiday many from Presonus probably took a well deserved long weekend (but there are still some holding the fort it seems). I did notice that one of the moderators (jpettit) set up a greeting page here:
https://forums.presonus.com/viewtopic.php?f=151&t=27570&p=153954#p153954
That was a nice welcome.   I'm anxious, to say the least.  Will probably wait to see if there is a cross over price, but I'm ready.  I hate to say goodbye to Sonar, but it's like getting something new and the old just doesn't seem as needed.  S1 was a fairly easy learning curve and that's been very beneficial.

Probably will not answer all questions, but be a good subgroup starting point for a folks coming from Cake.

That was a nice welcome letter.  I'm getting more and more excited about S1 each time I use it.  The learning curve isn't really all that hard, which is a blessing.  There's some good stuff in there that's new.  The future looks good.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account