• Software
  • What's the Trouble With Studio One and MIDI? (p.7)
2017/11/25 06:19:28
hbarton
mixmkr
hbarton
mixmkr
thx Bit... 
I imagine at the Presonus forums...there's going to be a flood of these "newbie" type questions, from people exhausted from reading the manual and just want a quick, clear answer!!

What would be cool over there is a "I'm from Sonar DAW" subgroup.  Fielding all these basic questions that are hidden deep in the bowels of the program.
Hard to stop messing with S1 but gotta hop on the BLack Friday stuff too.   All these new toys...

Hi,
I will make the suggestion over on the Presonus forum. I'm not a Studio One tech but will try to help where I can answer a question when I can. Since it is the holiday many from Presonus probably took a well deserved long weekend (but there are still some holding the fort it seems). I did notice that one of the moderators (jpettit) set up a greeting page here:
https://forums.presonus.com/viewtopic.php?f=151&t=27570&p=153954#p153954
That was a nice welcome.   I'm anxious, to say the least.  Will probably wait to see if there is a cross over price, but I'm ready.  I hate to say goodbye to Sonar, but it's like getting something new and the old just doesn't seem as needed.  S1 was a fairly easy learning curve and that's been very beneficial.

Probably will not answer all questions, but be a good subgroup starting point for a folks coming from Cake.

That was a nice welcome letter.  I'm getting more and more excited about S1 each time I use it.  The learning curve isn't really all that hard, which is a blessing.  There's some good stuff in there that's new.  The future looks good.

Hi again,

I just got a PM from one of the moderators over on the Presonus site and they are planning on setting some things up on the Presonus Site for you guys and gals early next week. Keep trying the Demos, but you might want to hold questions until things are set up over there. Questions and answers are getting scattered quite a bit on this site - and by next week the cavalry should return  (plus if this site goes away, all that info will be lost ).

Take care,
h
2017/11/25 13:13:34
Midiboy
The only thing I haven't really figured out that I really want to is how to "tie" notes together in step sequence mode.  How do I make a note longer than a whole note, for example.  This is kind of annoying to me. 
2017/11/25 14:24:06
mixmkr
Hbarton...
Thats really special. Thx!!
2017/11/25 14:37:20
doncolga
mixmkr
hbarton
mixmkr
thx Bit... 
I imagine at the Presonus forums...there's going to be a flood of these "newbie" type questions, from people exhausted from reading the manual and just want a quick, clear answer!!

What would be cool over there is a "I'm from Sonar DAW" subgroup.  Fielding all these basic questions that are hidden deep in the bowels of the program.
Hard to stop messing with S1 but gotta hop on the BLack Friday stuff too.   All these new toys...

Hi,
I will make the suggestion over on the Presonus forum. I'm not a Studio One tech but will try to help where I can answer a question when I can. Since it is the holiday many from Presonus probably took a well deserved long weekend (but there are still some holding the fort it seems). I did notice that one of the moderators (jpettit) set up a greeting page here:
https://forums.presonus.com/viewtopic.php?f=151&t=27570&p=153954#p153954
That was a nice welcome.   I'm anxious, to say the least.  Will probably wait to see if there is a cross over price, but I'm ready.  I hate to say goodbye to Sonar, but it's like getting something new and the old just doesn't seem as needed.  S1 was a fairly easy learning curve and that's been very beneficial.

Probably will not answer all questions, but be a good subgroup starting point for a folks coming from Cake.

That was a nice welcome letter.  I'm getting more and more excited about S1 each time I use it.  The learning curve isn't really all that hard, which is a blessing.  There's some good stuff in there that's new.  The future looks good.

I've shared this in several places here but I have totally loved Studio One since I moved to it this past Spring.  I found it very easy to pick up and discovered many features that I simply liked much better.  Examples:  I found mixer navigation, grouping and routing much more to my liking.  Clip gain, just click the bottom half of a clip, then drag the central blue handle on top up or down.  A single plugin window allows access to everything in a chain.  I just found many things much faster and streamlined with S1 for my workflow. 
2017/11/25 14:58:33
KingsMix
Larry Jones
I've installed the demo but I can't get to it until the weekend. I keep hearing "...the MIDI implementation will be a disappointment after SONAR." Is this true? What is it that doesn't work? I don't do orchestral stuff. I'm a guitar player, so I mostly use MIDI bass, piano and synth pads. What should I be testing for?

Hope I'm phrasing my question right. Thanks!

No it's not true....It seemed that it was lacking in midi implementation in it's early days. That's what kept me away from it for a long time. Now it's smooth and like butter, second nature. Been using Studio One 3 Pro for a quite while now, and to be honest, a lot of things and areas I thought it was lacking in when I first got my Artist copy bundled with an interface that I purchased, I realize that it was just a matter of me learning Studio One more in depth. You do have to dedicate some time to learning the ins and out of it, but I can say now, that it was well worth it, and money well spent. Imho
2017/11/25 16:14:40
hbarton
Midiboy
The only thing I haven't really figured out that I really want to is how to "tie" notes together in step sequence mode.  How do I make a note longer than a whole note, for example.  This is kind of annoying to me. 

Hi,
If you open the Event viewer (double click the MIDI track) then select both notes. Right click on one note and at the bottom of the list then click the flyout for Musicial Functions - second selection at the bottom is Merge Events.

Take care,
h
2017/11/25 17:07:40
bitflipper
After spending several hours in the "music editor" (odd choice; I guess only MIDI counts as "music") I've found no obvious omissions in the MIDI editing features. It appears that Studio One can probably do everything I'd ever want it to do.

That said, I have to admit that the process feels clunky and awkward.

Example. You select the Paint tool to insert notes, which works great (I like the way you can adjust velocity at the same time). But you then realize you've dropped the note on C# instead of C, so the natural move is to select the note and move it. Oops, you just deleted the note. You have to press "1" first, then you can move it. Don't forget to press "3" again to continue entering data.

I could get used to it, though. You can get used to anything with enough repetition. The developers may have come from Cubase, but it's clear they weren't the ones who wrote the MIDI editor there.
2017/11/25 17:11:40
synkrotron
bitflipper
Example. You select the Paint tool to insert notes, which works great (I like the way you can adjust velocity at the same time). But you then realize you've dropped the note on C# instead of C, so the natural move is to select the note and move it. Oops, you just deleted the note. You have to press "1" first, then you can move it. Don't forget to press "3" again to continue entering data.

Ah... I hadn't noticed that... Being playing pretty much all day but totally missed that one. Thanks Dave
2017/11/25 17:29:35
mixmkr
In the greeting letter, S1 states it's not the MIDI wizz kid...but is certainly usable I'm thinking for 95% of people using MIDI within S1. I noticed the 2nd click deleted the note...which I thought just as handy since it was the wrong note! Potentially faster than moving..by deleting and then adding the correct note desired. Vanilla..chocolate
2017/11/25 17:30:13
Steve_Karl
Rasure
Does anyone happen to know the midi clock PPQN of S1? did a google search but couldn't really find anything.

Good thought on that. It's very important.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account