• Software
  • What's the Trouble With Studio One and MIDI? (p.8)
2017/11/26 00:04:38
Antler
I've had a play around with Studio One and made a very(!) simple MIDI song. It seems fine to me, using all soft synths. Seems a little strange that I have to add a MIDI device to be able to use it for input (it automatically appeared and was usable as an input in Sonar).

I don't understand why people are suggesting a lacking in MIDI capabilities (ok, the editing process may not have been as smooth as in Sonar, but it's not like there was something I could not end up doing). Is there something I'm missing, and will only realise once I'm doing a more complex project (i.e. a 'normal' midi-centric project)?
2017/11/26 04:47:30
SquireBum
bitflipper

Example. You select the Paint tool to insert notes, which works great (I like the way you can adjust velocity at the same time). But you then realize you've dropped the note on C# instead of C, so the natural move is to select the note and move it. Oops, you just deleted the note. You have to press "1" first, then you can move it. Don't forget to press "3" again to continue entering data.

Workflow tip:  Pressing the Ctrl key when the Arrow tool is active in the "Music editor" turns the Arrow tool into the pencil tool.  As soon as you release the Ctrl key, the Arrow tool is available for moving notes and prevents the accidental deletion of previously added notes.

Hope this helps,
-- Ron
2017/11/26 06:24:23
SquireBum
Antler
I don't understand why people are suggesting a lacking in MIDI capabilities (ok, the editing process may not have been as smooth as in Sonar, but it's not like there was something I could not end up doing). Is there something I'm missing, and will only realise once I'm doing a more complex project (i.e. a 'normal' midi-centric project)?

1.  Do you ever use Process> Find/Change... or Edit > Select > by Filter in SONAR?  S1 has no equivalent function.
2.  Do you draw CC values into the CC lanes in SONAR and depend on seeing the value feedback of the mouse position in the scale in the left margin of the CC lane?  S1 gives no direct feedback of the values you are entering as you draw, only when you are editing individual nodes. 
3.  Do you ever use the Event List in SONAR?  S1 has no equivalent function.
4.  Do you use the "Last Touched" feature in the Note Duration drop-down box in SONAR that allowed you to draw new notes based on the last note you touched?  S1 has no equivalent function.
5.  Do you ever use the "In-line" MIDI Editor in SONAR?  S1 has no equivalent function.

If your answer is "No" to all of these items, then you probably won't be missing much.

Hope this helps
-- Ron

2017/11/26 07:22:16
SquireBum
Steve_Karl
Rasure
Does anyone happen to know the midi clock PPQN of S1? did a google search but couldn't really find anything.

Good thought on that. It's very important.

Studio One does not use PPQN or ticks when referencing "Note events".  Read the topic in the manual titled "Look Mom, No MIDI".  Users of earlier versions of Studio One may recall that velocity values were only represented by percent and not the traditional 0-127.  Both options are available in the current version.

Studio One uses a series of 4 numbers delimited by dots to represent midi note and audio event Start time, End time, and Length in the Inspectors.  In the screenshot example below, the selected note displays the Start time in the note inspector on the lower left as "00001.02.02.50".  The interpretation is as follows:

"00001"  Bar 1
"02"     Beat 2  Values can range from 01 to the value of the time signature numerator (4: 01-04, 6: 01-06, etc.)
"02"     Sub-beats in 16ths   Value range depends on the time signature denominator (4: 01-04, 8: 01-02)
"50"       50% or half way to the next sub-beat    Values can range from 00 to 99.

Getting used to this time format for a new S1 user that has been accustomed to Bar.Beat.Ticks in other DAWs can be a challenge at first.

Hope this helps,
-- Ron
2017/11/26 09:48:00
Bassman002
Hi there:)

Am I wrong??  Looks like I am on a Studio One Forum!!!

Bassman.

2017/11/26 16:45:43
Antler
SquireBum
Antler

1.  Do you ever use Process> Find/Change... or Edit > Select > by Filter in SONAR?  S1 has no equivalent function.
2.  Do you draw CC values into the CC lanes in SONAR and depend on seeing the value feedback of the mouse position in the scale in the left margin of the CC lane?  S1 gives no direct feedback of the values you are entering as you draw, only when you are editing individual nodes. 
3.  Do you ever use the Event List in SONAR?  S1 has no equivalent function.
4.  Do you use the "Last Touched" feature in the Note Duration drop-down box in SONAR that allowed you to draw new notes based on the last note you touched?  S1 has no equivalent function.
5.  Do you ever use the "In-line" MIDI Editor in SONAR?  S1 has no equivalent function.

If your answer is "No" to all of these items, then you probably won't be missing much.

Hope this helps
-- Ron

Thanks for this list; looks like I overlooked a few features.
2017/11/26 16:53:44
Skyline_UK
I spent some time today refreshing my skills on Studio One.
I soon got back into the swing.  Still missing Sonar's MIDI Event List though.  BTW, it's quite easy to make your own 'Sonar' keyboard shortcuts, which makes things a lot easier.

2017/12/31 01:47:16
rbrodbec
It took e like 5 days to setup a Roland XV-5080.  Studio One does not support instrument definition files so the ins file I have been using for years and years in sonar was rendered useless.  You have to set patch and bank using the MSB / LSB number derived by taking the MSBX128+LSB.  I found most of what I needed, research, research, research across Roland support, my ins files, etc.  This requires that you reference each sound externally, either in a spreadsheet or using reference doc's related to the patches and addon modules.  I spent 10 hours today building a spreadsheet with everything in one place today for my reference.

I was very spoiled with sonar, load the .ins and tinker with sound.  I can't find a midi panic or midi reset button in studio one one either, which is a problem as I tinker with the external hardware looking for patches something gets out of sync and studio one won't reset the device so it gets stuck on a specific patch.  If anyone wants my spreadsheet let me know I will share it, it took forever (if anyone even has a xv-5080) to assemble.

Studio One does not play nicely with my Motu devices either, the 828 MKII or the midi express.  There might be Presonus hardware in my future (I am sure they will love that).  I ain't got time for shiznit that don't play nice, I need to turn it on and it works.  I have owned studio one for a week and all that has been dedicated to hardware and configuration, I have about 15 pieces of external gear and so far I think I nailed one of them, eeeeeeeeek.
2017/12/31 01:54:27
Cactus Music
Not that I care but why is this thread still here? It seems all the people who switched to Studio one are using the Sonar and  Software forum here as a studio one  help Forum.. KInda weird don't ya think? . Is their forum that bad? I guess all the forum Hosts have swicthed too..
2017/12/31 02:14:22
djwayne

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account