• Software
  • What's the Trouble With Studio One and MIDI? (p.9)
2017/12/31 02:59:17
Jeff Evans
Studio One does have a panic button. It's on the midi monitor page. 'All Notes Off' Not in an obvious place I agree.
To get to the midi monitor click on the little midi icon down below.
You an make a keyboard shortcut for it though.

Studio One plays nice with every midi interface I have tested including Midi Express XT. 
2017/12/31 03:28:09
rbrodbec
Thanks Jeff I will look for the note off.  I can't find a midi reset -> send reset to external devices on all ports.  I don't think note off will do that.  But the panic button will come in handy for sure.

Just the Komplete Kontrol S88, external Midi Device and Studio One Setup has taken nearly a week to get functional.  Studio One support were not knowledgeable even though the info I needed for setup was actually on their support site, ha haaaaaa, after days of creating just the right inet search criteria for me to find it.

Going to install the Studio One X macro pack, looks like some really cool midi features along with audio. 
2017/12/31 03:30:40
Jeff Evans
As far asI know All Notes Off is basically the same as a rest command. Must admit I don't use it because my Midi Interface has it also on the front panel and it is easy to get to for me. 

Studio One X is no longer from what we can tell. There is no info about it. Or how to install etc.. The website has disappeared. You might be better off waiting until V4 comes out and see what happens there.

2017/12/31 08:30:26
musichoo
I have use Studio One for 3-4 months now and on the process of finishing a CD full of midi arranged songs. I like their realtime quantize feature. I like how easy and fast it is to humantize, change midi note value or transpose midi. It might not have some of Sonar's feature but mostly I can get my work done faster than Sonar. Btw let me let you in on a little secret. I know a guy who has a very successful career producing music for American TV series and his name is Rick Balentine. He uses S1. He is the reason why I am using S1 too.
2017/12/31 10:05:42
Jeff Evans
If you are good at what you do, Studio One's midi implementation is not going to get in your way. It is faster and that is why quite a few professional users like using it too. No time fiddling around, all the time spent on the music. As it should be.  

There is no trouble with Studio One and midi.  All the essentials are there and that is what is important.  And some things that are better, like the overall timing of the midi engine and stuff like that.  Way bigger than event lists and instrument definitions. 

2018/01/01 13:14:13
soens
Cubase has some really slick MIDI tools but for the most part, SO3 can do just as well or better than Sonar. No Instrument Definitions, which made voice selection quick, but the ability to use Program Changes in the PRV means you can switch patch voices within the same Bank as often as you like, in the same track. AFAIK, Sonar cannot do that.
2018/01/01 16:10:46
rbrodbec
It can but it looks like you have to change the msb/lsb calculation versus how you use it in the track inspector which is ridiculous. No .ins file makes it almost unusable for outboard midi gear at least from a workflow perspective IMHO.

If using softsynths it's not a problem.
2018/01/01 17:31:11
djwayne
waves///helllo.....I'm using virtual synths and sound sample programs, no problems with definitions here....My hardware synths are all in storage now. Problem with those is if they breakdown who's gonna fix them ??
2018/01/01 17:37:56
Markubl2
rbrodbec
It can but it looks like you have to change the msb/lsb calculation versus how you use it in the track inspector which is ridiculous. No .ins file makes it almost unusable for outboard midi gear at least from a workflow perspective IMHO.

If using softsynths it's not a problem.

This is exactly why I chose Cubase over Studio One.  Even without Studio One's inability to use definitions, the Cubase Midi is just better than Studio One.   Factor in the very powerful Cubase patch scripts, and the choice was simple for me.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account