• SONAR
  • Need Help Resolving Noise When Sonar Runs (p.2)
2018/11/12 19:26:48
poetnprophet
Billy86
I’ll state the obvious. You’re running balanced cables, right?

Can you elaborate?
2018/11/12 19:57:50
slartabartfast
poetnprophet
Billy86
I’ll state the obvious. You’re running balanced cables, right?

Can you elaborate?

https://www.datapro.net/techinfo/balanced_audio.html

2018/11/12 20:26:55
poetnprophet
yes I understand the difference well enough, "thanks" for the link, but I just want to know where he was going with that.  I've had a hum issue for some time as well, so I'm always looking for insight and the way it was stated there is something wrong obviously wrong with balanced cables...
2018/11/12 20:59:48
azslow3
I remember there was adiscussion about some fancy crosstalk in Roland interfaces...  Have you already tried to disconnect everything except monitors (including headphones), turn off gain on all inputs and disable direct monitoring?
When Sonar engine is running, ASIO is continuously transferring in/out. When testing in Cubase, have you used exactly the same settings for the rate/latency and bit depth?
And if not yet done, try different USB cable, also on different port. I had rather fancy effects when VS-20 was connected with a bad cable
2018/11/12 21:14:09
stokedboss
Thanks for the reply's guys. 

I seemed to have narrowed it down to something in my projects, but I still can't figure out what it is. If I open a Cakewalk demo song it's pretty much silent but if I open one of my projects it hums... so strange. Even if I mute all of the tracks including my interface output it's still there. 
2018/11/12 21:50:33
stokedboss
Okay I eliminated the hum. I engaged the ground lift on both my monitors and my sub, and I eliminated my UPS and plugged everything directly into the wall. Now there is just the slight static sound of the speakers being on, in any project! Pretty strange still though, why would the UPS make noise only on certain projects? I can't explain it. 
2018/11/13 21:54:28
jpetersen
I have hum problems with my Roland Octas, solved only by lifting ground or isolating transformers on the inputs (used to be standard equipment on studio mixers).

But if it is project-dependent it must be open channels on those projects.
2018/11/13 22:33:46
mettelus
Some plugins process audio without the transport running (iZotope's Vinyl will throw you for a loop if you forgot you put it in a project since inserting noise is "what is does"). Global FX bypass (E) is always good to check if something appears project dependent.
2018/11/14 00:24:45
Kamikaze
Is your 'Direct Mixer' set to 0 (-) ?
2018/11/20 17:06:09
stokedboss
Hey everyone, thanks for the reply's.

Looks like my issue is back. It was clean for about a week and now it's doing it again. There has to be some kind of interference that I'm picking up. 

I've now tried using a modified extension cord to physically lift the ground to everything with no change. I've used different USB cables in different ports. I've removed the sub and plugged the interface directly into the monitors. I even bought Mogami cables to go from the interface to the monitors.

I've tried a different video card in my PC - Still the same.

I'm starting to run out of ideas here. The sound used to be project dependent, since it's come back it does it all the time, but gets worse when an audio engine kicks in - Sonar or Studio One. 

I've ordered some ferrite chokes off the net to try putting on the USB cable, but that seems like a long shot because the interface isn't powered with USB.

If I remove the USB cable from the interface the sound goes away. However even if I plug it into say a port on my mac it comes back -- but ONLY when my PC is running. There has to be something inducing the noise from my PC but I don't know what. I've tried unplugging everything in the case that isn't necessary to run. Extra Hard drives, SSD's, etc. but there's still no change.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account