• SONAR
  • Cakewalk by Bandlab is free!!!! (rent to buy Studio One)
2018/11/14 21:47:06
RexRed
Studio One is now being offered on a rent to buy basis on splice.com...

Question: Why would I want to "buy" Studio One when I can get Cakewalk by Bandlab for free?

I can really see no reason why I would want to switch.

Cakewalk by Bandlab is the most stable it has been in years (perhaps ever) and it has all the bells and whistles I need, considering, I also own the updates for life version of Sonar Platinum.

A few months ago this Studio One offer might have caught my eye but now I am so very happy with Cakewalk by Bandlab. 

I am sure Studio One is a great DAW but I plan to stay right where I am.

Splice has a lot of very worthwhile plugins though, why buy the Studio One DAW when Cakewalk by Bandlab is free and a no-brainer to install and set up?

Just sayin...
2018/11/14 21:51:13
RexRed
Why not offer Cakewalk by Bandlab for free on splice.com? It would be a great resource for generating new Cakewalk users!!!!
2018/11/14 23:07:36
a13xhp
RexRed
Why not offer Cakewalk by Bandlab for free on splice.com? It would be a great resource for generating new Cakewalk users!!!!

Because probably Bandlab Assistant will be the same as the Splice app (online cloud, collaborating platform, roll back project support etc.) but with a free premium DAW to "rule them all".
2018/11/15 06:49:07
mettelus
Since the forum is locked to new members, the OP is preaching to the choir if endorsing CbB. For a new DAW user, onboarding costs are definitely a consideration, and the "rent to own" is essentially zero-percent financing (it is actually 0.0806% APR over 24 months - $0.33/month extra or $7.81 total) which is far better than SONAR's was to get Platinum. For those who owned X2 or better (before CbB was released, which probably doesn't qualify), there was always a standing crossgrade to SO Pro for $100 off that became $200 off during the holiday season (which is where it sits now). To my knowledge, SONAR never offered such.

Also bear in mind that CbB does not come with a great deal of 3rd party goodies anymore, so owning SONAR previously tilts the scales a bit... a new DAW user isn't going to get them and "free" will mean a lot less to them as well.

*IF* (and that is a HUGE if) CbB does qualify for crossgrade, which I highly doubt, then CbB would be enticing to a new DAW user just to save $200 on SO Professional. For those that owned X2 Producer, X3 Producer, or SONAR Platinum, SO Professional is $199.95 now as a new SO user (can rent to own that from Sweetwater for $216).
2018/11/15 10:25:51
eve_ripper
We have Cakewalk, some others will prefer to buy S1. It has some great features and lacks some features that Cakewalk users have. S1 has a great "arranger" options, sampler, drum sampler.
I use S1 and using Cakewalk for different projects and purposes.
If Cakewalk had a price, maybe it would be actual to use payment options like rent. Also Splice supports S1 to share projects and make them avaliable online for edits.
2018/11/15 15:43:08
Wibbles
RexRed

If Cakewalk's free, where's the slice for Splice?
2018/11/15 15:50:58
kzmaier
I noticed Cubase 10 has new features that CbB has long since been there done that.

Thanks to Bandlab for keeping the dream alive!!!
2018/11/15 17:53:37
Starise
There are plenty of free vst and sample libraries on the web. This is likely where the strapped for cash would venture regardless. A lot of the stuff that came with Platinum wasn't the kind of thing many would have bought.Same can be said for Studio One. I think eventually some of the Cakewalk synths will make it back into CbB. If they charge extra for those it is likely less expensive than getting Studio One.Most DAW users like to choose what they want to add to their DAW and not mix indefinitely with only the tools that came with the DAW.

I never liked the rent to use model. Period. The day Cakewalk starts a monthly charge to use the software is the day I change DAWs. Makes far more sense for me to pay for upgrades and updates and own it at that point in time.  They still get their money either way so why not opt to let the customer buy the software and use it as long as they want? Or decide to upgrade when they want or need to? In a rent to own plan you never really finish paying for it. Loose a job, have a hardship and the bottom drops out.

I have Studio One 3. It's ok. I haven't used it in quite awhile. Would I pay to get version 4? Probably if the price is right. I don't necessarily need version 4. I would still do it if I liked what the product does.
2018/11/15 18:45:18
Wibbles
Starise

I never liked the rent to use model. Period. The day Cakewalk starts a monthly charge to use the software is the day I change DAWs. Makes far more sense for me to pay for upgrades and updates and own it at that point in time.  They still get their money either way so why not opt to let the customer buy the software and use it as long as they want? Or decide to upgrade when they want or need to? In a rent to own plan you never really finish paying for it. Loose a job, have a hardship and the bottom drops out.

The rent to own model allows those that can't afford to make one large payment (e.g. Wibbles) to use and buy a licence for the software. There is still the option to buy with a one-off payment.

With splice.com, loose a job etc, then pause your plan and resume it when your situation improves.

But sure, if you can afford to buy with a one-off payment, why bother with rent to own.

2018/11/15 21:48:09
tenfoot
RexRed

Question: Why would I want to "buy" Studio One when I can get Cakewalk by Bandlab for free?

Perhaps you could rephrase your question. Given that everyone knows CbB is free, why are many people who use both extensively still choosing to invest in S1? You know what they say about the proof of the pudding:)

Same goes for Abelton live, Reaper and any other DAW people choose to pay for. Some programs do certain things better than others and are worth the investment if they give you creative return, added stability or a myriad of other advantages. As long as you're happy with what you have all is good!

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account