• SONAR
  • Unable to use Cakewalk by BandLab
2018/11/19 16:03:12
rbowser
My installation of Cakewalk by BandLab just sits their unused because the few times I've tried to use it, including yesterday when I updated the program - it crashes when I try to use ANY VST.

Back in April when I caught up with the BandLab news and installed this new free Cakewalk, first thing I wanted to do was insert ARIA and start work on a new piece. - Cakewalk locked up, crashed. -- I went back to using good ol' Sonar X3, and that's what I'm still using - because the next time I tried BandLab's Cakewalk, the program locked up and crashed when I tried to use Melodyne. - It crashed when I tried to use V-Vocal - Crashed when I tried to use Dimension Pro. You get the picture - The program opens, and I can open up a current X3 project, but as soon as I try to keep building the project, it's a no-go. It's as if all my .dll files are being blocked - registered with my old Sonar and unavailable now--?? or what the hell kinda deal?

Any clues would be appreciated.

RB
2018/11/19 16:24:42
a13xhp
That is really strange... I am not getting any crashes using VST (Native Instruments, Waves, McDSP, AIR, Ignite Amps etc.) Did you tried to contact with the support? https://help.cakewalk.com/hc/en-us
2018/11/19 17:10:10
stickman393
OS? Machine Specs? Did you do a clean install with all defaults, or choose some non-default options?
Are you sending your crash dumps to Cakewalk?

Your experience is not typical, there must be some environmental thing a factor here.
2018/11/19 17:16:52
michael diemer
Hi Randy, have you updated to the latest version? You need to update the Bandlab Assistant also. I am using a somewhat older CbB version, and have trouble with TT -1, and just recently am having trouble with Dim Pro. Only the DP LE will work, the DP 32 and DP 64, along with TTS-1, all crash CbB. I haven't gotten around yet to updating to the latest CbB version, because I haven't needed any sounds from those synths, but eventually I'll need TTs-1's Tuba, or something from the full Dim Pro.  So I would start there if you using an older version.
2018/11/19 17:20:25
djtrailmixxx
Check the windows event viewer?
Did you make sure all of your VST paths are listed in the manager, and tried a reset and re-scan of plugs?
Backup your aud.ini and delete it, redo your config? Im sure CwbBL imported the old settings. may be some incompatibility
Check any antivirus logs?
All Plugins up to date?
Windows up to date?
Available system memory at project load?
Plugin load balancing disabled? (never works well for me)

Just some thoughts

Good Luck

2018/11/19 18:30:56
rbowser
Thanks for all the ideas, good ol' Cakewalk gang. There are some things you've brought up that I haven't tried yet, and I shall. I posted because I updated all this BandLab stuff yesterday when a pop-up said I had to upgrade before the Cakewalk app would work again. That did let me open the program again - but the problem with VSTs was still there. I'll try your ideas. Thanks.

RB
2018/11/19 19:13:32
jimfogle
Is your Sonar installation 32 or 64 bits?  Are the VSTs you want to use 32 bits, 64 bits or a mixture of the two?  I do not know if Cakewalk by BandLab supports the use of 32 bit VSTs as I haven't exercised the program in that manner.  I use 64 bit VSTs with CbB since CbB is only available in a 64 bit configuration and run Sonar Home Studio in a 32 bit configuration with 32 bit VSTs.

Have you tried creating a new, test project and using any of the VSTs in a new project?

What do the the crash messages say?
2018/11/19 19:38:44
mkerl
jimfogle
  I do not know if Cakewalk by BandLab supports the use of 32 bit VSTs

My Copy does it.
2018/11/19 20:01:50
scook
Yes, BitBridge is bundled with CbB.
2018/11/19 20:11:29
Cactus Music
32 bit plug ins would crash Sonar Platinum. 
I stopped using them.
I cannot live without  Mr Tramp, a 32 bit only Wurly VST.
So I thought I'd give it a go and lo and behold I now have it in a dozen or so songs again and I have not had a crash in months. So for me it's the opposite. CbB is the most stable by far.
I even break one of my steadfast rules and leave my internet connected most times. 

Your issue must be one of those weird ones that something somewhere needs changing. It is defiantly not the Software or this forum would be crazy. It's been kind of quiet here since last summer.

PS ,, good to see you back, I don't think I've seen you post for a long time.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account