• Computers
  • Moving everything to a new system (moving samples, reauthorizing Komplete 9, iLok, etc.)
2016/04/22 03:10:27
skitch_84
I'm sure this has been asked before, but as I'm about to build a brand new desktop, I need to start thinking about the process of getting all of my software, plugins, and sample libraries up and running on the new system. 

I'd like to take it step by step. 

Sonar Platinum - Is this as simple as downloading CCC and reinstalling Sonar Platinum on my new computer? For my saved project templates, can I just copy and paste those template files into the project template folder on the new computer? Any other tips regarding this? 

iLok - I have several plugins that utilize iLok (such as the Slate Everything Bundle, Eventide UltraReverb, a few others). Do I have to contact Pace directly and let them know that I'm switching computers so that I can authorize the new system? 

Native Instruments Komplete 9 Ultimate - This was originally installed from a physical hard drive that shipped with the product. Then it was all authorized for my current system through the NI Service Center app. Since it's authorized through the Service Center, I'm guessing I'll have to reinstall it from the physical drive again and go through the, I fear, very long process of doing all of the updates to all of the products, right? 

Other Kontakt Player libraries - Other libraries that are Kontakt Player libraries are also authorized through the Service Center. Can I simply copy the folders for these libraries over to my new system's drive (where I'll store my sample libraries) and reauthorize them through the Service Center? Will I get a prompt to paste the authorization code into the Service Center when I try to load the library for the first time? 

Spitfire Audio - Their sample libraries also can be downloaded through their Download Manager, and then that app will check for updates. If I simply copy the libraries over to my new system, the Library Manager won't know about them on system and will be unable to check for updates. How do I handle this? 

Slate Everything Bundle - This works both through Gobbler and iLok, so I fear this is going to be a pain, but I hope I'm wrong. Has anyone had to switch the Everything Bundle to a new system? 

There may be some other thing I haven't thought about yet, but needless to say, this is a daunting task. Any tips to those who have done this would be really appreciated. Thank you!
2016/04/22 11:59:06
Sycraft
Sonar: Just reinstall and then copy over your templates and such.

iLok: For licenses on the physical iLok you don't need to do anything, just move the dongle. For licenses on the computer you need to un-authorize them and move the licenses back to Pace's servers before you reinstall. You do that in their little iLok utility. Then you transfer them to the new computer after install.

NI: Yep just reinstall and reauthorize.

Kontakt stuff: Ya just point it to the libraries and it'll want to authorize. All the crypto information is in the libraries themselves and Kontakt knows what to do.

Dunno about the rest.
2016/04/22 17:30:02
Elffin
Follow Sycraft's advice!

Some tips for kontakt...

if you have a quickload folder and projects that load specific sample libraries make sure that the location of the samples remain the same.

i.e if your samples are on d\Sample folder\library1. then they should be the same on the new computer..

if you do that you will get less bother when opening old projects.

What I do to maintain my libraries is to use sync toy. to keep two copies of my sample drives.. I know even use that to duplicate my quickload folders too!

Also check cakewalk blogs. Craig Anderton added a post once in regards to transferring sonar preferences - that may prove helpful too.
2016/04/22 17:30:04
Elffin
delete please
2016/04/22 17:30:04
Elffin
triple post
2016/04/25 06:55:00
skitch_84
One more question regarding the Sonar Platinum install, will CCC reinstall Addictive Drums 2, as well as my three add-ons that I got for free? Or is that something I'll have to somehow do separately through XLN?  
2016/04/25 08:21:52
Jim Roseberry
skitch_84
One more question regarding the Sonar Platinum install, will CCC reinstall Addictive Drums 2, as well as my three add-ons that I got for free? Or is that something I'll have to somehow do separately through XLN?  

You'll have to use the XLN Online Installer (with your logic credentials).

2016/04/25 08:30:27
skitch_84
Thanks, Jim.
2016/04/25 22:03:38
skitch_84
Another question (I may just keep asking here instead of starting a new thread for each little concern I have). 

Here's the hard drive situation on my new rig:

250GB SSD
1TB SSD
3TB HDD

Here's how I was planning on dividing everything up:

250GB SSD: Windows 10, Sonar Platinum; Plugins (not sample libraries)
1TB SSD: My larger, more RAM-hungry and/or most used sample libraries (Spitfire, 8Dio, Cinesamples, etc.)
3TB HDD: My other smaller, less-used sample libraries; project files; project audio

Do you see anything wrong with the way this will be set up? Would you recommend creating a partition in the 3TB HDD to separate my sample libraries from my project and audio files?

Also, should I install Kontakt (the actual player) on the 250GB SSD or on the HDD? 
2016/04/28 07:51:58
Jim Roseberry
Hi Chris,

See my post in the other thread.
If your 1TB SSD isn't full, I'd put the lesser used samples on it.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account