• SONAR
  • Cakewalk By BandLab vs SONAR Versions Comparison Chart [4/28/2018] (p.7)
2018/04/22 19:39:10
jb101
tenfoot
Matron Landslide
mudgel
tenfoot
Can't seem to open this file on an android tablet. Surely a web based technology company can find a more universal and accessible format to share this information on one of their websites? A very long time fan of all things Cakewalk, I will add it to the list of reasons I am rapibly losing interest in CbB.

Which file? Surely you’re not talking about Cakewalk by BandLab (Sonar replacement).
BandLab, the social media music platform has an Android and an IOS app. Or via your browser on a PC, preferably Chrome as it handles low latency audio much better than any other browser.

Can't be sure but I'd say he is talking about the Comparison Chart, the subject of this thread, I could be wrong.

Quite right matron.  No interest in the Bandlab platform and Apps. 

No biggie. I have opened it on my media server PC. Just making the point that a google doc upload of a  comparison chart doesn't really scream slick rollout:)

Early days for CbB. Hoping it is in good hands and has a bright future for those sticking with it.. Time will tell.

As I replied earlier:

It opened perfectly well on my android phone. I just tried it on my son's android tablet, and that was fine, too.

So, should be adding it to list of "More positive things about Bandlab".
2018/04/23 00:01:20
abacab
tenfoot
Just making the point that a google doc upload of a  comparison chart doesn't really scream slick rollout:)

Early days for CbB. Hoping it is in good hands and has a bright future for those sticking with it.. Time will tell.

It is quite common to respond to forum request for information with a linked spreadsheet (or whatever format is most suited to the content of the answer).

I wouldn't compare this to a rollout attempt because as far as I am aware it was not posted to the public on the Bandlab home page.  The intended audience is this forum, and that response is totally acceptable.
2018/04/23 00:42:27
Daibhidh
mudgel
There will not be a for purchase edition of CbB. There will however be paid for fx and instrument plugins. No details on what and when yet.

Meng has talked about a cross-grade version for previous Sonar users, which will be for-purchase for those who haven't previously purchased Sonar.

If you're right it means newbies would download the free version, could buy a combo of fxs/synths after the fact or just buy the individual plugins/synths that they want.

If I'm right the premium package deal will also install CbB.

But what is abundantly clear is there'll always be a free version of CbB.

I edited this post for clarity because of scook's point below.
2018/04/23 00:45:52
Daibhidh
Blackiejames7
Diabhidh
Thanks for the useful information I appreciate it. 

Happy to help. This is a game changing event for Cakewalk users for sure.
2018/04/23 00:46:42
scook
I do not believe anyone will be expected to re-purchase plug-ins that were bundled with a version of SONAR or add-ons already purchased. New products and upgraded add-ons are a different matter.
2018/04/23 16:30:01
AT
Unless you bought Rapture, Dim Pro or the Z3ta's as separate synths, I don't see BandLab including them.  I would expect Rapture Pro to be on sale, soon, probably one of the first "pay to add to CbB" products for BandLab. How is BandLab supposed to make money if they give away synths that take sales from their premium synths?  However, if you bought those synths originally you can, of course, use your DVDs to load them.

I also don't think there is a lot of money floating around for VSTs - Wave is selling plugs and collections for pennies on the old dollar amounts.  That sets a bottom to the market.   However, Cake's SSL buss comp is as good as any soft comp I've used and BandLab could sell the whole SSL channel (the rest of the items in their chain are good, too!) as a collection.   The 1176, La2a clone and EQ are all good and I could see BandLab releasing those in Waves' $29 range or collections for $50.

It doesn't matter how much BandLab paid for SONAR - they can't  pay for it by giving it away (cue the old joke about losing money on your product but making up for that w/ quantity).  However, you can ameliorate the costs by selling older products polished up (since PC modules are sized VSTs, it shouldn't take much to make them bigger etc.).  There is a modest market for those and the synths, esp. if they have a largish market share with their free DAW.  I appreciate what BandLab is doing but I don't want them to go broke by giving away the store.
2018/04/23 19:52:14
SmilingCrow
ATNice.  The only problem is that CbB is at the far end of the columns, and it is almost impossible to easily track back to what is missing. Start the columns w/ CbB and then it becomes apparent what is included and not without having to drag the screen from one side of the chart to the other side.  That is what we need to see, not what SONAR Artist is missing.  I'm working w/ a small screen here.

Agreed and another solution is to copy the first column so that it is now the first and last column which makes it close whichever side you are viewing from.

2018/04/23 22:45:36
Rafal S.
SmilingCrow
ATNice.  The only problem is that CbB is at the far end of the columns, and it is almost impossible to easily track back to what is missing. Start the columns w/ CbB and then it becomes apparent what is included and not without having to drag the screen from one side of the chart to the other side.  That is what we need to see, not what SONAR Artist is missing.  I'm working w/ a small screen here.

Agreed and another solution is to copy the first column so that it is now the first and last column which makes it close whichever side you are viewing from.

The quickest way is to set the zoom to 90% or lower.

2018/04/27 01:56:19
Chez Jonesy
Thanks for the google doc. Helpful indeed.

Any timeline to get the synth's up and running (thinking about Dimension in particular)

I'm in a special case, as I had to do a (coincidental) complete re-install on the studio pc, and hence, have no way to access my Sonar Pro download-only software bundle. I have a bunch of tracks that I can only partially open as a result while I wait for Bandlab to get the plugins download-ready.

Thanks is advance for any help!

cj
2018/04/27 02:28:59
scook
While there has been discussion about Rapture Pro, it is not clear if BandLab intend to migrate any of the older Cakewalk synths bundled with previous products. You still should have access to your Cakewalk account. You may want to download the installers from there or use the Cakewalk Command Center.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account