• SONAR
  • Cakewalk by Bandlab Update strategy
2018/11/16 16:13:59
cowboydan
It would be nice to know when of if Cakewalk will be updated and how frequently this will happen. If there are no updates coming, that would be nice to know as well. It has been I think 2/3 of a year and have not heard very much from Bandlab about how they will go forward with the software in the future. It would be good for those who are getting used to using Cakewalk to know what the plans are up the road, possibly to maybe getting another daw that will be frequently updated and useable in the future.

In saying this I guess I'll be shot, yelled at, being called not grateful etc. I will not react to those that wish to be mean, so save your ammunition for someone else.

Danny

I have changed Sonar to Cakewalk to end some confusion as to the product name that I meant in my post.

2018/11/16 16:21:16
scook
cowboydan
It would be nice to know when of if Sonar will be updated and how frequently this will happen. If there are no updates coming, that would be nice to know as well. It has been I think 2/3 of a year and have not heard very much from Bandlab about how they will go forward with the software in the future. It would be good for those who are getting used to using Sonar to know what the plans are up the road, possibly to maybe getting another daw that will be frequently updated and useable in the future.

In saying this I guess I'll be shot, yelled at, being called not grateful etc. I will not react to those that wish to be mean, so save your ammunition for someone else.

Danny

SONAR will never be updated. Gibson stopped SONAR development and shutdown Cakewalk in Nov. 2017. BandLab purchase Cakewalk IP from Gibson this year and released an new product called Cakewalk by BandLab based on the last version of SONAR Platinum. CbB has been updated every 4 to 6 weeks (approx) since its release in April 2018. The installer for CbB works like an upgrade to 64bit SONAR (for those with SONAR already installed) and takes advantage of any content bundled with SONAR.
2018/11/16 16:25:12
a13xhp
scook
SONAR will never be updated. Gibson stopped SONAR development and shutdown Cakewalk in Nov. 2017. BandLab purchase Cakewalk IP from Gibson this year and released an new product called Cakewalk by BandLab based on the last version of SONAR Platinum. CbB has been updated every 4 to 6 weeks (approx) since its release in April 2018. The installer for CbB works like an upgrade to 64bit SONAR (for those with SONAR already installed) and takes advantage of any bundled content.

I am sure that the author know all of that since his thread is called "CAKEWALK BY BANDLAB Update Strategy" and not SONAR update strategy.
Edit: I want to know more too.
2018/11/16 16:25:59
cowboydan
scook
SONAR will never be updated. Gibson stopped SONAR development and shutdown Cakewalk in Nov. 2017. BandLab purchase Cakewalk IP from Gibson this year and released an new product called Cakewalk by BandLab based on the last version of SONAR Platinum. CbB has been updated every 4 to 6 weeks (approx) since its release in April 2018. The installer for CbB works like an upgrade to 64bit SONAR (for those with SONAR already installed) and takes advantage of any bundled content.

I am sorry for the confusion. I meant Cakewalk, not Sonar. I would think that men could read between the names of the software, but I will correct it in my OP.
Danny
2018/11/16 16:46:05
scook
There is no confusion here. Your .sig suggests you use Sonar [sic], a product no longer manufactured. You subject mentioned one product, the body of your original post mentioned the product in your .sig.

If you want a product that is currently being developed, maintained and supported that currently looks and works like SONAR upgrade to CbB.

If you want a road map for CbB future development expect to be disappointed. I would delighted if BandLab provided a detailed road map for CbB (or some third DAW mentioned in the OP) development with target delivery dates. I would also like to see planned product rollouts with release dates and price info. Maybe updates on some of the internal goings on like the account migration, when the new forum will be introduced. That said, I do not expect anything regarding status other than an announcement when ready.
2018/11/16 16:46:51
Johnbee58
Seems like at least every other week somebody starts another one of these types of threads and the answer is always the same.  I agree.  I'd like to see some forward movement too, but they don't seem to be phased by our constantly badgering them.  We just need to be patient and enjoy the fact that we have something at this point in time.  Think of how worried some of us were a year ago.  We didn't know how much longer we would even be able to use what we had then.  Now we all have the best of Sonar for nothing.  We'll get nowhere by pushing.  We're only wasting our time starting these types of threads.  I say be patient.  They will move things forward on their timetable.

Respectfully;
John B
2018/11/16 16:56:13
pwalpwal
Johnbee58
Seems like at least every other week somebody starts another one of these types of threads and the answer is always the same.  I agree.  I'd like to see some forward movement too, but they don't seem to be phased by our constantly badgering them.  We just need to be patient and enjoy the fact that we have something at this point in time.  Think of how worried some of us were a year ago.  We didn't know how much longer we would even be able to use what we had then.  Now we all have the best of Sonar for nothing.  We'll get nowhere by pushing.  We're only wasting our time starting these types of threads.  I say be patient.  They will move things forward on their timetable.

Respectfully;
John B

they're not phased because they'd have to come to this forum regularly and read it, which they're clearly not doing

be happy there's some version of sonar still available, but i don't think it's ever gonna get top billing at bandlab...
2018/11/16 17:02:32
Starise
CbB update strategy? They have one and it's working. This much I know. Going on what we've all already been told, there's no reason for alarm.
There have been several updates since the takeover. Future updates are being worked on. I don't need an update to complete my projects, so I guess for me anything additional is only icing on the Cake
2018/11/16 17:09:04
a13xhp
All of this is great but How much time does it take to make a new forum? I don't want to wait another year and maybe they could provide some type of "pre-release discussion" like in REAPER forums, to see in what the hell they are working. I am not asking too much and I am a little fed up of this situation. On the other hand, the software is great and works well but that is a different topic...
2018/11/16 17:27:02
scook
What if the new forum does not meet your expectations? Hopefully it will.
CbB does not have public betas. If they did, there would likely be a discussion area for them.
You may be asking a little too much and that could be causing your frustration.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account