2016/06/14 20:13:40
abacab
scook
Pentagon has a serious problem with patches using some of its speaker simulations. In 64bit SONAR it would cause a loud continuous blast of noise upon loading the patches. Still it was the only synth bundled with SONAR which could be configured as a vocoder.

Good to know!

I kind of like Pentagon.

I just took a look and there are slightly more than 100 patches across all Pentagon I banks A-F that have active simulations.  The rest are set to "OFF".

Seems kind of redundant today to use effects in a synth patch, with much better ones available with Guitar Rig, TH2 or TH3, and all the other included Sonar effects. 

I may just have to create a new set of banks with the simulator set to "OFF" for each patch, and see how drastically it alters these sounds. Good for a rainy weekend kind of project :-)

For example, i just took Pentagon A bank "Fuzzy Guitar", turned off the speaker simulation, assigned TH-2 Producer & Breverb and it screams.  Nothing lost in the translation :-)
2016/06/14 22:10:41
abacab
TheMaartian
I knew I'd seen Square somewhere. Doh!

I've seen Pentagon referenced a few times in the forums. Too bad it's no longer available. Nothing wrong with old (like me!) and simple (not quite like me; yet!).

It seems that Pentagon I was included from Sonar 5 Producer through X3, and was dropped for the rolling update version Sonar(SPlat).

Square I, which was originally a separate download, seems to have been included from Sonar X2 through the current Sonar Splat, etc.

Some observations:

Triangle II - Monophonic, with 2 oscillators, each with 7 waveforms, 1 multi-mode filter, 3 dedicated LFOs, 3 dedicated envelopes ; MIDI learn = yes

Square I - Polyphonic, 3 oscillators, multi-mode filter, 4 LFOs (Pitch, Filter, Volume, and Wave Selector/PWM), 3 dedicated envelopes (pitch, filter, and volume)  MIDI learn = no

Pentagon I - Polyphonic, 5 dedicated envelopes (2 amplifier envelopes, 2 filter envelopes, 1 pitch envelope), 4 oscillators, 14 factory waves, 2 multi-mode filters, filter LFO, amplifier LFO, up to 64 voices, MIDI learn = Yes
2016/06/21 11:56:54
AT
You can get some better synths for free at UGO.com

And yea, Cake should definitely come up with a good VA, 64 bit synth.

Rapture Pro, VA and a looper would work - and a 3rd party drummer.
2016/06/21 16:53:07
robert_e_bone
Triangle II seems to be 32-bit, as well, which then would bring in BitBridge/JBridge for it to work in a 64-bit environment.

That may not be an issue - I believe all the 32-bit Cakewalk stuff still works OK in 64-bit installations, but just maybe be ready on the first use, to make sure it doesn't blare out some speaker-killing Armageddon noise.

Bob Bone

2016/06/21 19:57:05
abacab
If you need a 64-bit VA, this one gets my vote :-)

Some songs created exclusively with Diva for OSC 35:
https://sites.google.com/site/kvrosc/osc-35-diva

Diva is a virtual analog synth by u-he.
The oscillators, filters and envelopes closely model components found in some of the great monophonic and polyphonic synthesizers of yesteryear. Modules can be mixed and matched so you can build hybrids, but what
sets DIVA apart is the sheer authenticity of the analogue sound. This comes at the cost of quite a high CPU-hit, but we think it was worth it: Diva is the first native software synth that applies methods from industrial circuit simulators (e.g. PSpice) in realtime. The behaviour of zero-delay-feedback filters when pushed to the limit
clearly demonstrates the advantages of this groundbreaking approach.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account