2017/02/24 10:56:26
BobF
Everything is USB these days.  Anybody got a recommendation for a hub that's reliable and powered?

I would like to free up ports for things that need the speed, using the hub for qwerty keyboard, mouse, FaderPort and anything else with low data speed requirements.

I already have a grunch load of USB3 ports, USB2 should be fine.

Or would an internal card be a better idea?  Got one of those to recommend?
2017/02/24 11:40:54
fireberd
Generally, its best to keep the keyboard and mouse plugged directly into the PC rather than on a Hub.  Some BIOS will not recognize the keyboard and/or mouse if its on an external hub.

I've got several "no name" self powered hubs and they are several years old and still work well.   Only USB hub that I've had problems with was a Belkin (I've had problems with other Belkin and avoid anything Belkin now).
2017/02/24 15:11:43
dwardzala
I have a USB 2 card with 4 ports on it.  I actually have all my music stuff plugged into that one (interface and two midi controllers.)  i don't recall what brand it was but it wasn't more than about $10 at Microcenter or Newegg.
2017/02/24 16:10:10
slartabartfast
So if you have all the USB 3 sockets you need, why are you not plugging your USB 2 devices into them? If you have a shortage of USB sockets overall then a hub would be required to expand the system. 
2017/02/24 16:43:13
soens
I use a Rosewill 10 port for MIDI interface, keyboard, printers, ext HDDs, etc. Audio interface and mouse are direct ins. It's only USB 2 but has worked fine.
2017/02/24 19:54:03
abacab
BobF
Everything is USB these days.  Anybody got a recommendation for a hub that's reliable and powered?

I would like to free up ports for things that need the speed, using the hub for qwerty keyboard, mouse, FaderPort and anything else with low data speed requirements.

I already have a grunch load of USB3 ports, USB2 should be fine.

Or would an internal card be a better idea?  Got one of those to recommend?

Your motherboard probably has a couple of USB2 headers that you can use.  Just connect a cheap rear case expansion bracket with the mobo connector cable to the header and you will have more ports, running on the integrated USB bus.  No need for a 3rd party chip expansion card running from the PCIe bus.

Example: https://www.amazon.com/USB-4-Port-Bracket-Dual-Headers/dp/B0027YYMQA

$2.75 + $4.50 shipping

2017/02/24 22:04:02
dwardzala
@abacab That might be what I installed.  I did it so long ago I don't remember.
2017/02/24 22:26:34
abacab
dwardzala
@abacab That might be what I installed.  I did it so long ago I don't remember.

Yup, I have not installed a hub since I discovered those things.  Your mobo manual is your best friend as far as your system features are concerned
2017/02/26 13:55:32
kitekrazy1
I use a hub only for dongles.  So many boards have plenty of USB ports.  USB 3 will work fine.  If you have issues and no USB 3 devices you can disable USB 3 on some boards in the BIOS.
2017/03/02 15:23:28
Mesh
I bought one of these when I built my current system (back in 2013), but never installed it as I didn't have the need for it. It's still in the original box and to be honest, I don't know even if these are useful anymore.

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account