2017/03/02 15:53:30
BobF
I ended up grabbing a powered 4 port hub that has been working just fine.  It has my keyboard, mouse and FaderPort.  I may add the Waves thumbdrive someday, but everything is sweet for the time being.
2017/03/05 15:34:37
rivers88
FWIW - 

I have had great luck with Belkin 4 and 7-port powered USB 2.0 "stick" (descriptive term - all USB ports on same side) hubs. As long as the devices attached are USB 2.0, they seem to work just fine. I've had no issues with multiple MIDI controllers, patchbays, and USB synth interfaces thru these hubs. I do dedicate a USB 2.0 port on my PC for my audio interface, but pretty much everything else connects thru hubs.

The one issue I have run in to is using some external 3.0 drives that are "supposed" to be backwards compatible with 2.0. I have a couple of WD Passport Ultra (3.0) external drives that are VERY finicky about hubs (even powered hubs), and they frequently disconnect on 2.0 hubs (I have tried several different brands and models) during high data transfers such as backups. Oddly enough, they seem fine on dedicated 2.0 ports on my Windows 10 PC, and I can stack several 3.0 external drives on a 3.0 powered hub attached to a 3.0 port without issue.

My guess is USB 3.0 devices are much less tolerant of fluctuations in bus speeds and voltage levels than similar 2.0 devices - at the trade-off for MUCH improved data transfer speeds, especially when using USB 3.0 SSD's. So for USB 3.0 devices, the extra cost of a compatible powered USB 3.0 hub is worth the expense, IMHO.

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account