• SONAR
  • question for bandlab - when's the replacement forum coming? thx (p.6)
2018/11/05 03:18:16
Johnbee58
A good example of what I'm talking about:
A while back I was working on a project and I came to depend on the "Aim Assist" function, which was running fine for me as set by default.  Well, one fine day I must've bumped the X key by mistake and the Aim Assist went away.  So, I'm going nutz trying to find out how to re enable the Aim Assist, but I didn't even know what the hell to call it.  I didn't know what the name of that function was to even ask somebody "Hey, how do I re enable the Aim Assist function.  I must've accidentally killed it". But I got on the forum and described it as "that thing with the numbers on the top of the timeline when you run the cursor over it."  I didn't even know what to call it to look in the glossary of the Reference Manual for it, and the Cake U?!  Which vid would that be in??   My crude description that I posted on the forum was quickly seen by somebody who made the connection to what I was talking about and solved my problem.
That's the great thing about a forum.  Instant answers to anything you need to know.

JB

2018/11/05 09:17:30
sonarman1
Johnbee58
A good example of what I'm talking about:
A while back I was working on a project and I came to depend on the "Aim Assist" function, which was running fine for me as set by default.  Well, one fine day I must've bumped the X key by mistake and the Aim Assist went away.  So, I'm going nutz trying to find out how to re enable the Aim Assist, but I didn't even know what the hell to call it.  I didn't know what the name of that function was to even ask somebody "Hey, how do I re enable the Aim Assist function.  I must've accidentally killed it". But I got on the forum and described it as "that thing with the numbers on the top of the timeline when you run the cursor over it."  I didn't even know what to call it to look in the glossary of the Reference Manual for it, and the Cake U?!  Which vid would that be in??   My crude description that I posted on the forum was quickly seen by somebody who made the connection to what I was talking about and solved my problem.
That's the great thing about a forum.  Instant answers to anything you need to know.

JB

YUP! Right on.
2018/11/05 10:36:35
Johnbee58
Johnbee58

Instant answers to anything you need to know.

JB

That being said, though, it's also dependent on how much activity the forum sees.  There are some forums that have become "ghost towns" and you'd wait forever to get an answer.  I doubt if that will ever happen in this community, whether it be on this website or on Bandlab's newly planned one, but I always check out a forum's activity/history before I bother to join.  If I see that the last entry or response was 5 years ago I don't bother joining.  Not likely to happen on an equipment forum like this though.
JB
2018/11/05 12:41:15
Euthymia
msmcleod
Actually the BandLab produced CbB videos are really good, but their existence should be made more obvious

Uh, no kidding, I'm dying for instructional materials and this is the first I have heard of BandLab having produced any videos or anything else other than updating the online documentation to incorporate the new features. They're on YouTube, I take it?

Also, regarding this rumored 2000+ page manual that supposedly exists somewhere in PDF form....I say "supposedly" because I have directly asked in a tech support request for a copy of this beast and no dice. Tech support tried to help but all they had access to was a Quick Start guide. Nobody's stepped forward to Google Drive it.

Technically I suppose the IP in that PDF does now belong to our friends at BandLab and distributing it for free (same as they do the entire Cakewalk by Bandlab suite) would technically violate the terms of the SONAR license, but I have a hunch that as long as a person were quiet about it they wouldn't be too offended.
2018/11/05 13:59:23
msmcleod

Euthymia

Uh, no kidding, I'm dying for instructional materials and this is the first I have heard of BandLab having produced any videos or anything else other than updating the online documentation to incorporate the new features. They're on YouTube, I take it?

I was almost positive I saw some official getting started videos from BandLab, but I can't find them... maybe I got them mixed up with the "Your Home Recording" series. 

Anyhow, here's a list of some of the good ones:

Your Home Recording CbB Tutorials:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSfPaEe4wG_TxprjqVLxh9yAH-zGhA8bH

Robert McClellan's CbB Tutorials:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9FfDA-Vdfs&list=PLwqZ0GPSfFgbc8gLCxaYngRGVvlaf57gI

Cakewalk's "SONAR Platinum - Getting Started" series:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCPMyFyv8V07CnKoVWraOOGsjw06jzBI1

SWA Complete Sonar X2:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKRYWdEpbc5PgUgvrNuSvVyfv5qkll0qj

SWA Cakewalk Sonar X3 - New Features:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKRYWdEpbc5MtPslyvpY_tkunB34cvU75

Euthymia
Also, regarding this rumored 2000+ page manual that supposedly exists somewhere in PDF form....I say "supposedly" because I have directly asked in a tech support request for a copy of this beast and no dice. Tech support tried to help but all they had access to was a Quick Start guide. Nobody's stepped forward to Google Drive it.

Technically I suppose the IP in that PDF does now belong to our friends at BandLab and distributing it for free (same as they do the entire Cakewalk by Bandlab suite) would technically violate the terms of the SONAR license, but I have a hunch that as long as a person were quiet about it they wouldn't be too offended.

The Sonar manual used to be in CHM (Windows Compiled Help) format, but the html online version - which is exactly the same, except up to date - is here:
http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3

2018/11/05 19:44:36
Johnbee58
msmcleod

The Sonar manual used to be in CHM (Windows Compiled Help) format, but the html online version - which is exactly the same, except up to date - is here:
http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3

Maybe I got it in another format and converted it.  It was quite a while ago, in my early days with Sonar.  Thanks, Mark for all of these useful links.
JB
2018/11/05 19:58:43
scook
For years, Cakewalk produced SONAR help in 3 formats
  1. html - available on the website
  2. chm - a local file
  3. pdf - a.k.a SONAR Reference Guide
With each new version all three contained the same information. Updates were occasionally made to the html between releases. Other than that the html and chm were on the same release cycle. Prior to monthly updates, the pdf was created near the first update and never updated. When monthly updates started the pdf was updated about once a year. Both the html and chm were used for context sensitive lookup.

Currently Bandlab only maintains the html format for CbB. There has been some talk about a downloadable version (not chm or pdf though) but I have not read anything about it in some time.
2018/11/06 04:51:00
Studioguy1
I will say his about accessing this or any other forum on a cell phone.  It is a royal pain in the butt to try and read or do any serious studying of material.  Give me a laptop or pc screen any day of the week.  I come here daily and there are very few days when I don't pick up something.  I thank all of you who participate for that.  Thank you.
2018/11/07 14:38:21
stxx
Whats the issue with the forum? It works so why bother dedicating valuable resources to it?  Has anyone NOT gotten what they need here from anyone due to the forum itself?  I doubt it
2018/11/07 18:05:35
jimfogle
This forum has one issue and one deficiency that specifically bother me, the SPAM filter and message images.

The issue is the forum has an overly aggressive SPAM filter that is quick to remove a message, especially when the poster edits a message.  Many times I will not catch an editing mistake until after a message is posted.  Too bad because if I edit the message it will likely end up in the SPAM folder.  Then I have to decide if the message is worth the hassle of a private message to a forum administrator requesting they find and recover the message or, post a second message asking, "Where's my post?!"   Either way a silly mistake ends up bothering multiple people or cluttering up the forum.

The deficiency is the lack of support for hosting animated gifs or screenshots.  A poster can insert a url pointer but the image itself is not saved with the message so if the link breaks, the message is likely useless.  As everyone likely knows, sometimes a picture is worth a multitude of words.

It worries me that new CbB users can not join the forum and ask for guidance or assistance or just comment on their likes and dislikes.  This forum is a huge component of what makes Cakewalk fun to use!  However limiting access to this resource does kind of force Bandlab to actively develop their own CbB support system.  So maybe this limitation is a way of "forcing" Bandlab to maintain their focus on continual development of their support system.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account