• SONAR
  • question for bandlab - when's the replacement forum coming? thx (p.7)
2018/11/07 18:19:15
michael diemer
Have to agree about the editing thing, I have also lost posts that way. I usually say forget it. Too bad, because every now and then I actually have something meaningful to say, which solves someone's problem. 

The other thing is the search feature, as has been noted many times.

Why can't these things be fixed? doesn't seem like it would be that hard to do.
2018/11/07 18:48:00
jimfogle
The issues and deficiencies will be fixed but by replacing the forum software application and building a new forum.  This forum will be archived.
2018/11/07 19:58:42
jimfogle
Look at the bottom of any forum page.  The page footer provides a link to the software developer and details what software application version is in use.  Follow the link and you can find out more about the software application.

This forum is using v5.1 while the latest is version is v5.5.  The major difference between the two is the addition of a plug-in that "brings a native mobile app (Tapatalk) experience to forum members".  While there are also additional fixes and enhancements I didn't see anything that improved search capability or any other issue or deficiency frequently mentioned in the forum.

The software developer home page features the developer's relationship with Cakewalk in two ways.  Ron Kruper with Cakewalk.com is prominently quoted on the homepage as saying, "We use this software for Cakewalk.com, supporting 70,000 users and 2.5 million of posts.  It has never let us down despite this heavy load and near constant usage."  Further down the homepage the Cakewalk by Roland icon is displayed next to the statement, "Cakewalk, a hardware products creator for modern audio production, supports more than 70,000 customers with peer-to-peer support using our ASP.NET forum software.  With a vibrant community in place, it makes customer support possible without incurring huge overhead."  (The last two bold highlights emulate highlights used on the software developer homepage).  It is interesting to me that the software developer describes the Cakewalk business as a hardware products developer.  My guess is that is the vision Roland had for Cakewalk.   But it really didn't work out that way, did it?  The website homepage also does not acknowledge Cakewalk ownership by Gibson or the intellectual transfer to Bandlab.  Could there be a monetary reason for that lack of communication and transparency?

The upgrade from v2 to v5 cost $397 US. If you start with v5 a single use license also costs $397 US.  Both include one year of support and upgrades.  Obviously, someone paid the fee.  After one year the support and maintenance fee is $15.99 US monthly (billed annually).  Wow!  I wonder if anyone has paid that lately?  I'm just thinking out loud that maybe that's why the forum is using v5.1 instead of the (advertised to be) more mobile friendly v5.5.

Finally, in my opinion the developer forum or FAQs is not very informative.

2018/11/08 18:03:56
cparmerlee
Euthymia
They're only falling out of fashion with some people.

I think the broader question is more about the user base than the forum software.  I certainly appreciate Bandlab's commitment to keeping SONAR alive.  But I have been a little surprised that almost a year later, it still isn't really features in the Bandlab kit.

When I go to bandlab.com, I don't find anything anywhere about Cakewalk.  I would have expected at least some framing of the entire "big picture" work flow.  Clearly most of Bandlab is focused on the spontaneous, collaborative creation of music.  Cakewalk is a much better tool for polishing the finished product and preparing for competitive commercial production.  But I don't see any of that anywhere.

I don't know quite what to make of that.  Does this mean that Bandlab thinks its users are mostly just kids playing around, and they wouldn't know what to do with a full studio environment?  Or does it mean they think the cloud-based stuff is strong enough that a conventional studio-level tool is simply not needed anymore?

2018/11/08 18:12:13
michael diemer
cparmerlee
Euthymia

I don't know quite what to make of that.  Does this mean that Bandlab thinks its users are mostly just kids playing around, and they wouldn't know what to do with a full studio environment?  Or does it mean they think the cloud-based stuff is strong enough that a conventional studio-level tool is simply not needed anymore?

If that is the case, why did they bother with reviving Cakewalk at all? But you're right, it is a bit mysterious. Maybe they are waiting to see what kind of cross-pollination occurs; then they will adjust things accordingly?
2018/11/08 18:36:49
Johnbee58
I have a big problem with new users not being able to join the forum.  They give away a DAW for free but deny practical support for it.  Makes no sense to me.  I know it doesn't affect me but I put myself into the position of somebody who downloads this complicated piece of software (and it is complicated) and even though they pay nothing for it what's the point if they can't really learn it?  Yeah, you got the Help files, but like I said before, I learned most of the finer aspects of Sonar by posting to the forum and asking.  It usually gets a very quick response as it is very active. If you're a newcomer to this particular DAW, or even worse, a newcomer to making digital music and digital recording in general you're going to hit a lot of snags. A good support community can help you over those snags. I'm a 4+ year user and I still hit snags.  What is it hurting to not let newbies join?  Even with a new forum coming, why not fix some of the bugs in this one?  Then, they can take their time developing the new site without having current members constantly inquiring about when the new forum will show up.

Also, the damned editing problem.  I always copy/paste what I already have to a temporary word processor if I have to make an edit.  I can't remember how many posts I lost and given up on because they disappeared because I had to correct a small error.  It would also be nice to restore the email notifications too.  I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining, especially since Bandlab is giving us this terrific DAW free, but I'd like to at the very least see noobs be able to join.

JB
2018/11/08 20:17:16
Anderton
michael diemer
cparmerlee
Euthymia

If that is the case, why did they bother with reviving Cakewalk at all? But you're right, it is a bit mysterious. Maybe they are waiting to see what kind of cross-pollination occurs; then they will adjust things accordingly?

I don't have an answer, but I can speculate. The program is already pretty much mature, and is a treasure trove of useful code...and they got Noel. I think this may be a case where BandLab thought they would need what CW offers eventually, but they didn't have the luxury of waiting until they absolutely needed it...so they snapped it up while they could, at was probably a reasonable price. But that's just a guess.

I think if using Cakewalk as a profit center was a priority, there would have been an online shop by now for buying optional-at-extra-cost plug-ins. BandLab seems to take a long view. You can see the pieces are being put into place - Heritage guitars, media, audio interface hardware, etc. There's obviously a long-term strategy, and it probably takes priority over putting lots of attention into a single program that already works well.
2018/11/08 20:51:09
Bristol_Jonesey
One thing I've noticed is that the Cakewalk/Sonar User Group (C/SUG) page on Facebook is getting a LOT more traffic these days, and many of the regulars were, or in some cases still are, active on here as well.

For many, especially the younger users, it makes more sense to them to ask question on FB to get answers, even more so if they are newbies and can't register on this forum.
2018/11/08 20:56:13
InstrEd
I figured it would be a good six months before anything major would happen. So being the April announcement I'm thinking something will drop before Thanksgiving. 
Think Positive, Think Positive, Think Positive, Think Positive, Think Positive, Think Positive, Think Positive, Think Positive, Think Positive, Think Positive, Think Positive, Think Positive, Think Positive, Think Positive, Think Positive, Think Positive, Think Positive, Think Positive, Think Positive, Think Positive, Think Positive, Think Positive, Think Positive,

Anyway enjoy the ride
2018/11/08 21:53:00
jamesg1213
cparmerlee

When I go to bandlab.com, I don't find anything anywhere about Cakewalk. 

Yes. It's been 7 months now. If it was of any importance at all in BandLab's plans, why isn't it mentioned on their website, and why does the old Cakewalk website still exist, and allow you to get as far as 'buy now' before you discover you can't actually buy Sonar any more?

Bizarre.

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account