• SONAR
  • question for bandlab - when's the replacement forum coming? thx (p.9)
2018/11/15 23:04:43
timboalogo
You guys are the greatest and I appreciate the positive attitudes, but I feel like I do when my wife and I go into a car dealership - I know I'm going to get ripped off somehow by some smiling guy with acne who has to talk to his manager for the pre-arranged best price.

I know it's a bad analogy, but I hoped at least one of you smiled. Maybe you said to yourself, "Timbo is an idiot ..." but I hope you smiled. But I'll never know because I won't get an email saying this thread has been updated.

Timbo
2018/11/16 15:51:31
mettelus
timboalogo

But I'll never know because I won't get an email saying this thread has been updated.

I got a bigger smile from that one But since ignorance is bliss, we all have a state of euphoria that some forums can only hope to attain!
2018/11/16 22:22:12
timboalogo

2018/11/17 00:50:07
bapu
tenfoot

a case of someone with abundant financial resources buying shiny things that they may or may not play with later:) 

I've been accused of that many times over the years with regard to my stash of plugs-ins.
2018/11/18 04:45:16
Euthymia
cparmerlee
I would have expected at least some framing of the entire "big picture" work flow.  Clearly most of Bandlab is focused on the spontaneous, collaborative creation of music.  Cakewalk is a much better tool for polishing the finished product and preparing for competitive commercial production.  But I don't see any of that anywhere.

I don't know quite what to make of that.  Does this mean that Bandlab thinks its users are mostly just kids playing around, and they wouldn't know what to do with a full studio environment?  Or does it mean they think the cloud-based stuff is strong enough that a conventional studio-level tool is simply not needed anymore?

Evidence points in the exact opposite direction. If you look at the photos and videos from BandLab's display at AES New York, the system running Cakewalk was front and center and the Cakewalk took up the most display space and the stand-ups that flanked the booth. Also the fact that they bought the Cakewalk IP and immediately started improving it kinda points in the direction that they believe in full-featured DAW's.

As a user who would like to try out "this BandLab stuff" and who hadn't tried Cakewalk since the very first edition of SONAR came out, I would say that the one area where their user experience really could use some polishing is in the "how-to" department.

I get on BandLab's site and it tells me what I can do, but it's not too clear on why, as in what will each option allow me to do? Why would I want to create a "band" and invite people to join it? Do I record audio on my computer and upload it or do I record live? Can I upload a multitrack project?

I know those questions are answered somewhere on there, but it's not as clear as it could be, as in "the process starts with an audio file, either your own or from our library. Next, decide if you want to allow other people to be able to work on the song. Then...."

The first steps of integration have already been built into Cakewalk for several months now, sitting quietly in the Export dialog. There's an Export to BandLab option that will upload a mix or individual tracks to your BandLab account.
2018/11/18 17:01:02
tenfoot
bapu
tenfoot

a case of someone with abundant financial resources buying shiny things that they may or may not play with later:) 

I've been accused of that many times over the years with regard to my stash of plugs-ins.

Too many plugins Bapu? I see the words but they make no sense. 
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account