• Computers
  • Safe to install adobe flash on Sonar DAW?
2017/02/10 13:25:16
timidi
I'd like to access Spotify on my DAW. Spotify says it needs Flash to work.
Am I looking for problems installing Flash on DAW?
Thanks
2017/02/10 14:36:35
mettelus
There should be none, but you will want to change its auto update to "notify me and let me choose." Even then Adobe may adjust it on you, so you may ultimately need to go into "Services" and set that updater service to "Manual" which means it will never start unless you initiate it.
2017/02/10 15:31:24
fireberd
Flash has never caused me any problems with Sonar. 
2017/02/10 16:30:37
Jim Roseberry
No issues with Adobe Flash... 

Adobe is pretty bad about letting their services continuously run in the background.
I go in and set those to "manual" as well...
2017/02/10 17:37:19
timidi
Thanks guys.
2017/02/11 09:41:29
robert_e_bone
I always skip Adobe Flash installation, and Reader, because I use Chrome for most browsing, and it has Adobe Flash built-in, as well as the ability to display PDF docs too.

I do not care for Adobe's stuff wanting to run all the time, and I periodically see their stuff getting used as an entry point for malicious code once in a while.

So - I normally go into settings and set the default app for opening PDF files to be Google Chrome, and also never have issues with Flash media playing in Chrome without my having to deal with separate installation and maintenance of Flash.

Bob Bone

2017/02/11 10:50:29
abacab
+1 to what Bob said!

The best way to avoid dealing with Adobe and having to manage and update a separate installed product, is to just use Google Chrome.  The built-in Flash plug updates with Chrome.

I have banished Flash from my PC, except for Chrome

So does Spotify run in a browser, or is it a standalone app?
2017/02/11 15:35:59
robert_e_bone
I believe Spotify runs in a browser window - don't know if a separate app available for it or not.

Bob Bone

2017/02/11 16:13:34
fireberd
I installed Chrome one time.  Right after that I started getting audio dropouts in Sonar.  I uninstalled Chrome but I still had the dropouts.  Turned out Chrome also installed an updater program and even though I uninstalled Chrome the updater was still there.  It took manually removing it, including editing the registry to get rid of it.  Once I did, the dropouts went away.
2017/02/11 16:15:51
abacab
No problems with Chrome here.  I have noticed occasional dropouts with my wifi-adapter active, but disabling that stops that issue.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account