• Computers
  • Safe to install adobe flash on Sonar DAW? (p.2)
2017/02/11 16:29:57
abacab
robert_e_bone
I believe Spotify runs in a browser window - don't know if a separate app available for it or not.

Bob Bone

You are right!  I had downloaded the Windows app last year, but yanked it because it always ran in the background.  Just tried the web player in Chrome, and it works!
2017/02/12 21:41:00
Vastman
Flash is definitely risky compared to chrome which is pretty bulletproof.  I always follow Security Now and would NOT use flash on my DAW rigs.  Have enough problems already!
2017/02/12 22:23:42
tlw
Flash is updated very frequently because security holes keep being found in it. Steve Jobs suggested years ago it should be abandoned and media capable alternatives such as HTML5 used instead.

Chrome on the other hand is fine if you don't mind Google knowing everything you do and using the data however they like and selling the data on to whoever they like.

Flash doesn't exist for any iOS browser, and its absence is anything but a show-stopper. Instead it reveals how little on the web uses Flash nowadays compared to when any website wanting to be trendy was loaded to the gills with it.
2017/02/13 11:16:12
Mesh
Although I use Chrome, I wasn't able to listen to Soundcloud and Youtube until I installed Adobe Flash......so, I'm not sure what's the deal with that.

On a different note (or possibly related)....I've been having sporadic dropouts in Sonar thinking it's Win10 not working well with my Focusrite 2i4 (generation 1). After reading Fireberd's post, I'm wondering if it's something to do with Chrome or Adobe??
2017/02/13 14:03:33
fireberd
Mesh, download and run the free Resplendence Latency Mon program.  May point you to what the problem is.
I just helped a user on a computer forum that was having dropouts with a different DAW and an MAudio interface unit.  The Latency Mon program pinpointed his problem.

http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

I disable the NIC (Ethernet controller/Internet) when I do anything with Sonar, just to eliminate a potential problem.
2017/02/13 14:18:35
Mesh
Thanks Jack!!
Will definitely run it.
2017/02/15 08:17:27
Mesh
I ran resplendence and it said my machine was suitable for real time audio without dropouts (to that effect). I also noticed at the very bottom graphic meter (highest reported hard pagefault resolution) was in the red.

Not quite sure what that means??
2017/02/15 11:30:27
fireberd
I get that too.  But looking into the stats shows it was actually the Latencymon program that caused the page faults. 

2017/02/15 11:51:51
Mesh
Ahh, that's good to know. I guess it's back to the Focusrite/Win10 driver issue (although I'm trying out a Beta version that was just released). Hopefully, it'll work out.

Thanks again Jack!!

2017/02/19 17:57:11
timidi
So, I installed Chrome. Then, a bunch of hassles getting Spotify to work (the free version). 
Wow, I was suprised at how terrible the sound is.
Usually I just listen casually on my laptop and can't really hear good or bad.

320mp3 usually sounds pretty good to me but not this spotify stream.
What's up with that? 

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account