2014/10/02 09:10:08
dcumpian
All I can add to this is that the two times I opened the drum map manager, it looked like WAY too much work to use. And I still prefer having to manually remap midi notes to drums in the piano roll to having to learn the drum map manager. I'm normally not averse to learning new things, but that one got me.

Regards,
Dan

2014/10/02 21:11:49
Kev999
When editing mappings manually, instead of entering numbers to show that, for example, In-note 36 is mapped to Out-note 48, I would prefer to see 2 virtual keyboards where can click-drag from C3 on one of them to C4 on the other. It would be even better if it could automatically detect and enter the note that you have triggered from a MIDI keyboard or softsynth GUI.

2014/10/03 07:29:30
Beagle
scook
For me, the biggest issue with the current UI is the map settings table. The map settings table would be easier to maintain if it worked more like a spreadsheet with functions like column sort, row and column lasso/copy/paste/delete. Storing the maps in delimited or tagged plain text would be a plus.

YES!  I am 100% with this!!!
2014/10/08 09:18:36
Grem
Beagle
scook
For me, the biggest issue with the current UI is the map settings table. The map settings table would be easier to maintain if it worked more like a spreadsheet with functions like column sort, row and column lasso/copy/paste/delete. Storing the maps in delimited or tagged plain text would be a plus.

Yes +2!
2014/11/23 18:42:51
bapu
Grem
Beagle
scook

Yes +2!

Yes +2!
2014/12/01 07:58:51
Bristol_Jonesey
Grem
scook

position the cursor on the top output port (or where ever the port change needs to start in the map), while holding CTRL and SHIFT scroll down to the last output port (or where ever the port change needs to stop in the map) then click on the output port drop down and select a new assignment.

I will give this a try. I thought I tried every combo there was. Will let you know if I have difficulty. : )

This definitely works - I've been doing this since 2007
2014/12/06 03:32:36
FastBikerBoy
I'm not great with UI graphics or the like but it needs to be far more intuitive than it is at the moment.

The ability to re-order easily and quickly would be good, maybe drag and drop rows for example. I think the basic set up of rows and columns is fine it's just so "clunky" at the moment while editing/creating.

I'd also like to see it implemented as a "View" that rather than tucked away in Preferences or the track output selector.
2014/12/06 13:03:22
stickman393
I think there is two use cases:
1) just show me the names of the available drum/kit pieces in the PRV
2) I need full-on remapping of notes, intput channels, etc

The problem, for me, is that it is quite daunting to set up (1) because of all the extra UI configuring stuff to support (2).
2014/12/07 06:19:11
BobF
stickman393
I think there is two use cases:
1) just show me the names of the available drum/kit pieces in the PRV
2) I need full-on remapping of notes, intput channels, etc

The problem, for me, is that it is quite daunting to set up (1) because of all the extra UI configuring stuff to support (2).

This is true for me also.  What ever happened to the auto drum maps ala DR008?

Hide the remapping stuff as a default, or something. 
2015/01/05 16:18:55
Mantofini
I realize this thread has been dead for a while but, one idea that occurred to me would be to add a "group" column in the drum map for kit piece. A lot of the highly detailed drum samplers (e.g. BFD, Superior Drummer, Addictive Drums) have multiple articulations/hit types for each kit piece. When you then try and use the drum editor pane in the PRV, you have this extremely long list of different articulations to search through.

I think it would be really great if you could assign different notes to a group. Then in the drum editor they would be organized together and could be collapsed or expanded similar to folders for plugins in the browser. You could even allow the drum editor to assign one note to be the default note selection for the kit piece when collapsed (e.g. closed hi-hat or side stick, etc.).

This way you could collapse everything and program a simple skeleton beat (e.g. steady eight notes on a hi-hat). Then when you focus on the snare or high hat, you expand the group and can select the different artriculations to add variation or make it sound more real (e.g. add the odd hit on the bell or rim). It's less tedious this way because everything is grouped together and you aren't bombarded with every single possible articulation in the view.

Just a humble suggestion.

Personally, I'm not sure why the drum editor is a separate editor from the step sequencer. It seems to me that you could combine the features of both in one view that would make for an ideal drum programming evironment but, that's a separate discussion...
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account